The Sickness Review

Lyrics: 8.9
 9.2
 8.7
The Sickness Reviewed by: disturbd, on november 08, 2004

Sound: The soudn is heavy, plenty of guitars, and David Draimen seems like he has a lot of pent up rage inside. These are all good things. Anyways, I first heard them a few years ago, unknown as to who it was. I watched an anime movie a friend loaned me, and I heard Stupify for the first time. I would watch the same part over and over just to listen to the minute or so of the song. Over the phone with a friend, I heard it on his cd player and asked who it was, and to my surprise, it was a band I had not yet heard of; Disturbed. 15 minutes after, I drove up to the store and bought it. Listened to it, and have been listening to it now for almost 3 years. The singing though is very monotone and follows the same screaming as most bands. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are basically about everything and anything that has to do with anger and rage. The lyrics go perfectly with the music, as the music is loud, and draimen's singing is also loud, and heavy, which is a good thing in this case. His skills as a singer are good, especially when you listen to their second cd, Believe. // 10

Overall Impression: Comparison wise, it's what you've come to expect from a nu-metal band. There isn't a whole lot of difference in the style, but this is one of the few bands who's lyrics actually fit well with each piece that they make. Best tracks hands down, are stupify, voices, game, and fear. This is the only cd other than RHCP Blood Sugar Sex Magik that I can listen to for more than a year or so. This cd is also the first where I like every song on the whole album, and is the only cd where I never skip tracks on. This cd I would get again if it was stolen, and is currently the only cd where I actually have a backup copy if it were lost, stolen, or broken. Overall its a great cd. The singing needs to be fixed, which it was overly changed in their second cd, so I still would rate this as the higher of the two. // 10

The Sickness Reviewed by: nasty_santa409, on april 20, 2004

Sound: The sound of this album is dark, heavy and creepy. Very much like the sound of the first album which was awesome. Also they tried something new that could mostly be heard on "The Game." They tried to use digital beats which makes The Game so incredibly catchy and one of my favorites. // 10

Lyrics: I was a bit disappointed with the lyrics since I have been listening to Believe more. They aren't as "repent" and that sort of stuff. Now they're more of a standard nu-metal lyrics. "Droppin Plates" sounds like a Limp Bizkit outtake too. The lyrics are more angry now too. However, David Draiman's voice is amazing and has so many ranges that it's incredible. One second he's all mellow and then he sounds all angry and stuff in a sort of "semi-scream." // 6

Overall Impression: Believe was a bit better than this. My favorite songs are The Game, Stupify, Voices, and Meaning of Life. They also do a pretty kick-ass cover of Shout. If you are to buy this record, try to find it used. It's pretty good, but like I said, Believe was better. // 8

The Sickness Reviewed by: unregistered, on october 24, 2005

Sound: This is a very angry cd. But it's great. It's a perfect mix of anger, guitars and everything else one needs for a great album. Honestly, I believe this is alot better than Believe. Not any solos by the guitarist, kinda a let down, but it gets made up for with everything else. After a while of not listening to this CD, I think it's not very good, but as soon as I put it back in the stereo or wherever, it kicks so much ass. // 10

Lyrics: I don't really pay much attention to the lyrics. I'll read them a few times, but that's really it. As long as they fit with the music then it's all good. And boy do they fit on this. // 10

Overall Impression: Personally, I like Meaning Of Life, Droppin Plates, Conflict and Fear the most. None of the bands I listen to sound very much like Disturbed, so for me it's pretty much a unique album and band. I would most definetley get this again, but I would prolly just download the songs. Everything about this CD is great. // 10

The Sickness Reviewed by: Guitarplayer136, on march 25, 2006

Sound: Dan Donegan is a perfect asset to this band. He seems to know exactly the kind of music that needs to be played. There is a lot of anger, but there is always a reason behind this. However, I'm not quite sure what the reasons may be. The heavy metal and effects such as the sitar used in Voices is very well done. The drums also play an important role in this band, setting the mood for every song it seems. // 9

Lyrics: Dave Draiman is a very intelligent man and his lyrics can be very hard hitting and influential at times. Although he may express anger throughout the entire album, he kind of steps away from that in Believe and Ten Thousand Fists. The lyrics go very well with this kind of music. // 9

Overall Impression: This is a very well put together album, which is good considering this was their first album. Voices, Stupify, and Meaning Of Life happen to be just a few of my favorite songs on this album. Shout 2000 was my least favorite song. Covering songs just isn't Disturbed's thing. I would definitely buy this cd again if I lost it. // 9

The Sickness Reviewed by: Powerhouse, on august 04, 2006

Sound: The band's sound is nearly flawless. The angst and agression is perfectly mixed with the emotion. As the Windy CD based nu-metal band's debut album, this album is different from the following two, "Believe" and "Ten Thousand Fists" (yes, I called them "nu-metal", which doesn't have to be a bad thing). Like other nu-metal bands, over time, Disturbed let go of some of their aggresion and profanity-loaded lyrics and focused more on melody, emotion, and musical maturity. Granted, this is not a bad thing, but when I listen to a band called "Disturbed," I'm expecting to hear something disturbing. This album is just that, but in a very, very good way. // 10

Lyrics: Jewish born vocalist David Draiman's lyrics, which can be described as vulgar, dark, malicious, rebellious, and controversial (sometimes even borderlining "sexist"), fill the album from start to finish, and are complemented perfectly by the band's industrial influenced electronics and in-your-face guitar riffs. Draiman's powerful, sinister growling voice is damn near perfect. // 9

Overall Impression: There are very few albums where I can honestly say I not only like every song, but I can listen to them over and over without getting tired of them. This is one of those albums. If lost or stolen, I would buy it again right away. I would recommend it for fans of Nine Inch Nails, Marilyn Manson, Godsmack, and Linkin Park. // 10

The Sickness Reviewed by: dark_falco3000, on september 19, 2006

Sound: The Sickness, disturbed's first album, is quite a bit heavier than their other 2 albums. David Draiman is a lot more "aggro" with his singing style, and the music is a lot heavier. You can here this in songs like Voices, Down With The Sickness, Fear and Violence Fetish. The electronic beats and effects that they use in songs like Voices and The Game do complement the album well, and every member of the band did their job well to make music that works and fits with the lyrical style of David Draiman. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are a lot more angry than other albums. This can be seen in songs like conflict, on almost every line of that song is the word "enemy". Also you can really see this in Down With the Sickness, particularly near the end, the "Child Abuse" section of the song. It seems that David Draiman is, or at least was, a very angry person, and I know that one of the best ways to deal with anger is through song. // 10

Overall Impression: This is my second favourite album by disturbed, my favourite being ten thousand fists. This album truly fits the name, it is "disturbing" and only "disturbed" people such as myself would listen to it. Now if this album were stolen it wouldn't matter because I have it all saved on my computer. The only bad thing that I can think of about the album is the fact that they did a cover on it, on "Shout" none the less. Although it was very well done it really isn't disturbed's style to do that. At least "Shout 2000" isn't as bad as Land of Confusion though, I truly didn't like that at all. // 10

The Sickness Reviewed by: tenaciousm123, on may 24, 2007

Sound: The sound of the album is great. It's very loud and heavy. Deffinetly a good metal sound. It has that scary metal sound too. Dark stuff on there. The sound is just perfect. It's creapy with this dark sound to it too. The guitar is excellent. The vocals are too. And the drums go perfectly with the song. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very intence. Mostly violent. Especially "Down With The Sickness." With lyrics like No mommy don't hit me. Why do you have to hit me like that mommy, no, don't, you're hurting me! Why do you have to be such a bitch? The lyrics are brutaly intense. This gives the album a deffinet metal sound. The lyrics are loud angry and violent. The singer is good too. He has a voice to perfectly match the tone of the music. // 10

Overall Impression: This was an absolutely fantastic album. It was heavy and loud. It was their best album no doubt. I still listen to the songs on it. The best song is without a doubt "Down With The Sickness". I would deffinetly go out and buy this album if you don't have it. It's awesome. // 10

The Sickness Reviewed by: AngryChair87, on march 03, 2008

Sound: The sound of a teenager's hate never hit so hard, so quickly. Disturbed debuted with a bang. The Sickness is one of those records where the songs grab you and don't let go until the message has been drilled into your brain. From heavy and crunchy guitars and thumping bass to electronic beats and sound and vocal effects, this album's sound is original yet familiar. // 9

Lyrics: David Draiman's lyrics express exactly what anger, hate and frustration should sound like. His lyrics seem to always tell a story of someone on the borderline of psychosis. Lyrically speaking, the songs that seem to stick in your head are those of "Down With The Sickness", "Stupify", "Voices", "The Game" and "Violence Fetish". The guitar always compliments Draiman's vocals in presenting the hate that fills this album. His vocals range everywhere from singing to shouting/screaming and his trademark bark. The most angry vocal for Disturbed may lie in the track "Conflict". Near the end, Draiman sings, in an eerie voice, the word "Enemy" and then all of a sudden he shouts "Enemy!" followed by a voice track echoing him which gives the listener the feeling that they might be being stalked. // 9

Overall Impression: Comparing to a lot of debut albums from this period, The Sickness sticks out from most of the pack due to it's originality and catchy songs. As a music and Disturbed fan, my favorites would be "Stupify", "Voices", "Conflict", "Meaning Of Life" and "The Game". If there is anything to dislike about it, I would have to say that it would be that the songs really bring you in and seem to end just when you are in full-out jam mode. I already have had this album stolen from me and I must go out and buy it again and again. // 10

The Sickness Reviewed by: timmyjock, on february 10, 2009

Sound: I first got a listen to Disturbed in 2002, 2 years after this album was released (I was 11 then) but never realized who I was listening too. I really got into Disturbed at the age of 15 when I was into more Darker Metal, I used to sit in my room with it on and just lay on my bed listening to it. The music on this song is very Dark and Aggressive and gives the feeling of Anger and Hate. I really like the sound, good guitar tone and the bass with it gives it more depth. The Vocals are very aggressive which isn't always what I like to hear but the vocals really work well. Just too dark for me now. // 8

Lyrics: When I listened to this album I couldn't understand a word that was being sung so I'd make up words that sounded like what he was singing. The Singer has some impressive skills, his growling is very unique and I don't think anyone will be able to copy that very good but isn't clear enough. // 7

Overall Impression: Overall this is a good record and I recommend you buy it but be aware of language and shit. But yeah awesome record. // 8

More Disturbed reviews rating latest review
+ The Lost Children 7 11/09/2011