You Musn't Be Afraid To Dream A Little Bigger, Darling [EP] Review

divided by friday: You Musn't Be Afraid To Dream A Little Bigger, Darling [EP]
Released: Aug 7, 2012
Genre: Alternative Rock, Acoustic
Label: Hopeless Records
After playing on the Vans Warped Tour all summer, Divided By Friday surprised fans by releasing new music. The only two tracks are acoustic versions of their songs from their 2011 EP, "Prove It".
 4.2
 8.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
You Musn't Be Afraid To Dream A Little Bigger, Darling [EP] Reviewed by: Russcool, on august 31, 2012

Sound: After playing on the Vans Warped Tour all summer, Divided By Friday surprised fans by releasing new music. The only two tracks on the single are acoustic versions of their songs "Prove It" and "Lost In Limbo" from their 2011 EP, "Prove It". Personally, I'm a huge fan of acoustic versions of rock songs. They put you in a mellow state and show that even the heaviest group can have a bit of a softer side. 1. "Prove It (Acoustic)": The first time I heard this track, it blew me away. It really shows off how amazing Jose Villanueva's voice is. The song has instances when the music just stops and Villanueva gives off a sweet vocal riff. Matt Morgan, the band's guitarist and background vocalist, played the lead guitar part on his piano. It sounded great. The track is also accented with a soft and quiet orchestra in the background. "Prove It" is definitely my favorite of the two. 2. "Lost In Limbo (Acoustic)": Matt Morgan starts this track with his piano, and then the vocals come in. Villanueva and Morgan's voices harmonize beautifully in the intro. Villanueva also shows off more of his vocal talent on this track. // 8

Lyrics: 1. "Prove It (Acoustic)": The main idea of this song is to prove to people that you can do fantastic things and make your dreams come true. It is easily relatable and the lyrics really cover the whole situation. Jose Villanueva, the band's lead singer and background guitarist, really impressed me with his vocals on this track. He has definitely reached new heights vocally. 2. "Lost In Limbo (Acoustic)": This song is about not letting your fame get the best of you because you can lose the people you love. When that happens, you can get lost in a trance; lost in limbo. The lyrics to this song are clever. My favorite line is: "You keep telling me what you know, but, baby, what do you believe?" // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, this single provokes you to always follow your dreams, no matter what. Divided By Friday followed their dreams and thanks to these two tracks, they came true. The one thing that disappointed me about this release was that there was no new material. It was really refreshing to hear DBF like this. I'm anxious to see what they bring us next. // 8

Comments