Djangology [BOX SET] Review

8.9
 7.7
review (1) 1 comment vote for this album:
Djangology [BOX SET] Reviewed by: Castroph, on february 04, 2008

Sound: I think that every disc in this set has the same classy feel-good jazz sound to it. Most of his songs are performed by Django himself or his all-string band "Quintette du Hot Club de France". Django provides really complex guitar solos and guitar playing while Stephane Grappelli plays soothing violin to accompany it. The style that Django and his band play is their self-created Gypsy Jazz. The band is also known for their instrumental playing and the improvisations in some discs. If you're a fan of jazz, this box set is a must-buy. // 8

Lyrics: Most of his songs have no lyrics. Some songs that have lyrics are as well done as the ones with instrumentals although instrumentals dominate this album. If you're a fan that doesn't like instrumental music, stray away from this album. On the songs with lyrics I'd say that the overall level of singing is pretty average 1930s-1950s stuff. // 7

Overall Impression: Though this is the only album that I have of Mr. Reinhardt I like it. The best and favorites of this album are Rhythmn Futur, Tears, Les Nuages, H.C.Q. Strut, and many many more. I really like the overall classic jazz feel of the album. What I don't like is that they don't have the ever famous "Beyond the Sea" which showcases Grappelli's violin playing very beautifully. Again, if you like jazz, instrumental music, music that's played in cartoons(which I discovered that some Django songs have been in cartoons), or improvisations, this album is a must-buy. // 8

Comments