Broken Bones Review

dokken: Broken Bones
Released: Sep 21, 2012
Genre: Heavy Metal, Hard Rock
Label: Frontiers
"Broken Bones" is the eleventh studio album by the American heavy metal band Dokken.
 7.1
 7.1
review (1) 5 comments vote for this album:
Broken Bones Reviewed by: diehard666, on october 03, 2012

Sound: Dokken's new album "Broken Bones" was just released 9/21 international and 9/25 in the US. The album features the traditional Dokken sound which can easily be heard on the first single and opening track "Empire", but once "Empire" is done the album becomes a lot lighter. If you expected this to be your normal hard driving Dokken that contains a couple ballads that is definitely not the case the more you head toward the middle of the album the mellower the album becomes picking up intense on the last couple tracks. I was a little thrown off by this since I'm used how the Dokken albums are, but once you get listening it helped show that Don Dokken and Mick Brown can dish out almost anything without guitar god George Lynch and bassist Jeff Pilson. // 7

Lyrics: As most singers from the 70s and 80s get older their voices change with many not being able to hit notes they used too. Don Dokken is one of those singers. The once powerhouse vocalist that belted out the tracks "In My Dreams", "Into The Fire", "Dream Warriors", and "Breaking The Chains" shows signs of struggling vocally which many blame for Don not taking care of his voice properly. The song "Empire" shows Don going back to the old voice sound but just like the tempo and heaviest of the music goes downward from there. Just let David Lee Roth did on Van Halen's newest album "A Different Kind Of Truth", Don Dokken's lyric are a lot more personal than previous releases. Songs like "Waterfall", "Blind", "Broken Bones", "Today", and "For The Last Time" help make the lyrical meaning stand out. // 8

Overall Impression: Comparing it to Dokken's 1983 album "Breaking The Chains", 1984 album "Tooth And Nail", 1985 album "Under Lock And Key", and 1987 album "Back For The Attack" this album doesn't come no where near any of them and I'm a huge Dokken fan. The reason isn't just because of it not being with the classic line-up or because Don's voice has changed. Even if George Lynch was playing guitar instead of Jon Levin I personally don't think that Dokken would be able to life up to the classics as Don Dokken's songwriting is becoming too personal which doesn't allow the a**-kicking balls out songs to be brought to the table. I have to say the this album is how Guns N' Roses - "Chinese Democracy" was on me to where I had to listen to it a lot to be able to give a 100% yes I love it or no I hate it answer, but it's no where near what I expected it to be especially after hearing "Empire" just before the album's release. It is something I would buy again to say I have as part of my collection but besides that it isn't that big of a deal with this one. // 6

More Dokken reviews rating latest review
+ Tooth And Nail 9.3 04/16/2014