Tooth And Nail Review

dokken: Tooth And Nail
Released: Sep 13, 1984
Genre: Heavy Metal, Hard Rock
Label: Elektra
Any people reading this review who are into 1980s hard rock, heavy metal, and/or glam metal, need to check this album out ASAP, because why? Because it's rock and roll!
 9.3
 9.5
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Tooth And Nail Reviewed by: N3WW4V3N1NJ4, on april 16, 2014

Sound: Dokken. If you haven't heard them before and happen to consider yourself a fan of the glam metal era, you are missing out, big time. Also, to clear things up, the band name is pronounced "dockin'" and it's their lead singer's surname. Anyway, back to the matter at hand, my review. I picked this album up for five dollars earlier today, due to the fact that I heard a Dokken song on the radio a week or so ago and remembered how cool I used to think they were. This was my impression upon actually listening to "Tooth and Nail" in its entirety, about five hours ago: this album sounds like the very best parts of David Lee Roth-era Van Halen, Steve Clark-era Def Leppard, and Queensryche, around "Empire" period, all mashed together with the result being pretty interesting. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are, depending on just what song you listen to either really good or really manage to feel like a ripoff of other bands. There was a point during the final track on this album, where I would have truly easily believed it was a Poison song if you had hypothetically blindfolded me and played only that one song. Despite this, there's not any bad tracks on "Tooth and Nail," as George Lynch is a fantastic guitar player, Don Dokken has a very strong voice and the bassist and drummer, though I do not know their names, are quite noticeable and definitely add layers to the overall feel of the album. It's not perfect, but it's the first Dokken album I've ever heard in entirety and all I can say is, they've got themselves a new fan. // 8

Overall Impression: I do not feel like I should be comparing "Tooth and Nail" to any other Dokken albums, as I have not had the chance to hear any of them all in one sitting and that is the way an album should be heard, so, instead I will say this: any people reading this review who are into 1980s hard rock, heavy metal, and/or glam metal, need to check this album out ASAP, because why? Because it's rock and roll! And it's pretty darn awesome! The only downside is, George Lynch has quit the band and Don Dokken has messed up his vocal cords like crazy, so, I believe it is very likely we will never hear any new Dokken release as good as "Tooth and Nail." // 10

More Dokken reviews rating latest review
+ Broken Bones 7.1 10/03/2012