Gold Medal Review

donnas: Gold Medal
Released: Oct 26, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Alternative Pop/Rock, Hard Rock, Punk-Pop, Stoner Metal
Following 2002's spitfire release Spend the Night, the Donnas return with a different drive on Gold Medal.
 8.5
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
Gold Medal Reviewed by: unregistered, on december 06, 2004

Sound: This is an all around great album. It really shows how good the have gotten over the years. This isn't just fun rock anymore, it's fun rock with all the elements of a great rock n roll band. Allison Robertson's tone is great on the record too. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are amazing. They have definetly grown into a different stages. Thier writing about real issues. "Friends Like Mike" has great lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: This is album shows that there is influence from AC/DC to the Stones, but there is also a great amount of originality in it. The riffs, the lyrics, the basslines, and the drum beats are all absolutely amazing. There is nothing to hate about this record, but lots to love about it. It is defeinitly the best album of 2004. This is a great album to own, so go get it! // 10

Gold Medal Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 27, 2005

Sound: Gold Medal is the Donnas' new record. I have to say this is one of my favorite Donnas CDs. The band matured and changed alot (in a good way) but still kept it's originality. The album is a bit "slower paced" then the others because of Torry's (drummer) tedonitis. Either way, they wanted a slower album and in an interview, Allison (the guitarist) said that Torry's tedonitis gave her and the band an oppurtunity to explore new sounds. All the insturments sound great and there is much more Bass creativity. Maya (bassist) has many intros and more diversity in her bass playing. Allison still delivers her awesome solos in every song. (A fresh Batch of solos) Brett's(singer) lyrics have become a bit dark and more matured. I prefer these lyrics even though the Donnas older lyrics were fun to listen too. Torry plays different percussion insturments including the cow bell and many others. In my opinion, all of them grew in their musical ability. // 10

Lyrics: Like I said above, Brett's lyrics grew darker. In another interview they also said the whole album was darker. Brett seems to be singing about things that are more important to her and the band then before. Brett stated in an interview that "Fall Behind Me" was about the record industry and "Revolver" was about deciding when to stand up to yourself. // 10

Overall Impression: I think this album is one of their best right up there with Spend The Night. Of course, this album is more mature and personal. I think all their musical ability is better in this album. I absolutely love every song but my favorites are: Friends Like Mine, The Gold Medal, Out Of My Hands, Have You No pride, Revolver and It Takes One To Know One. I love everything about this CD even the cover art. The only thing that I don't like is that it is only about 34 minutes but I cherish every minute of it! If it were stolen or lost I would buy another immediatly even though I already made a copy of it for myself. I hope the next Donnas record can top this one! Rock on Donnas! // 10

More Donnas reviews rating latest review
+ Spend The Night 9.4 03/23/2004