Spend The Night Review

Genre: Rock
Tones: Rebellious, Playful, Energetic
Styles: Punk Revival, Punk-Pop
Spend The Night Reviewed by: UG Team, on july 23, 2003

Overall Impression: The Donnas. People tend to pigeon hole these gals as just another chick band who can't play. But after becoming a fan in 1999 I realized first hand that these girls were in it for blood. Their newest album with Atlantic Records (but not the first they have released 5 other albums under Lookout! With a buku of 7 Vinyl's) Spend The Night puts them up there with the likes of AC/DC or Kiss with their hard rockin' riffs and twisted sexual references. Don't wanna go to the mall, don't wanna go to the movies. I think we've done it all. Just take me to the backseat is a line from one of my favorite tracks off Spend The Night, blatantly titled Take Me To The Backseat. These girls DO know how to rock. Donna R aka Allison Robertson does a mean solo on almost every track that will blow your mind. Along with Donna C (Torry Castelleno) whaling away on drums, cowbell included. Donna A (Brett Anderson) with her raspy whisper on To Bad About You Girl will make you skin tingle. And Donna F (Maya Ford) keeps a mean bass line like no other. This band is not to be overlooked. Spend The Night is 13 tracks of straight up, balls to the wall Rock N Roll fun that hasn't been heard for a while. This CD hasn't left my CD player since December. I recommend this CD to any guy or girl who is looking for some fresh air. // 10

Spend The Night Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 23, 2004

Sound: As a classic rock fan, this album has some of the best guitar sounds I've heard in quite a while. The Donna's guitarist, Allison Robertson, is obviously a classic rock fan as well, judging by the Rolling Stones-like chord progression in "Please Don't Tease", the AC/DC-influenced "Take It Off", and other more original, but classic, riffs in songs like "It's On The Rocks","5 O'clock In The Morning" etc. Robertson's soloing style, while obviously influenced by the likes of Angus Young and Ace Frehley, is never-the-less her own, check out the solo on "You Wanna Get Me High" for proof. Such solos and Robertson's great tone are the album's strongest points. // 10

Lyrics: It's apparent that the Donnas haven't lost their penchant for writing songs about getting drunk, high, laid, or all of the above. Such lyrics are a long way from the Doom & Gloom subject matter of most mainstream Rock, and, depending on what side of the fence you're on, that could be a bad thing. Singer Brett Anderson has only a mediocre voice, and even songs about sex can get redundant after a while. // 6

Overall Impression: As I said, the lyrics and vocals are only so-so, but the cool riffs and solos more than make up for that. The album's best songs are, "Take It Off", "Too Bad About Your Girl", "Please Don't Tease", and "Take Me To The Backseat". I would definitely buy this album again if I lost it, and I recommend to anyone who plays guitar. // 10

More Donnas reviews rating latest review
+ Gold Medal 8.5 04/27/2005