Morrison Hotel Review

doors: Morrison Hotel
Release Date: 1970
Label: Elektra
Genres: Proto-Punk, Pop/Rock, Hard Rock, Album Rock, Rock & Roll
The Doors returned to crunching, straightforward hard rock on Morrison Hotel, an album that, despite yielding no major hit singles, returned them to critical favor with hip listeners.
 9.4
 9.2
 9.6
Morrison Hotel Reviewed by: Sloopy, on august 07, 2007

Sound: Morrison Hotel was a 'back to basics' record for The Doors. At the time, Jim Morrison was facing criminal charges for indecent exposure at a concert in Miami in 1969 and was spiraling deep into excessive alcoholism that had been building since the recording sessions for 'The Soft Parade' a year earlier. In my mind Morrison Hotel is the best all around record the Doors put out. It's got a bit of blues, a bit of jazzy psychedelia, and a bit of rock. // 9

Lyrics: Jim Morrison really kicked himself into overdrive for the lyrics on this record, sighting criticism from fans that the lyrics on the last record (The Soft Parade) were just recycled reworkings of past songs. He experimented with different lyrical themes and they really bring the record back into the league of their debut or 'Strange Days'. The words really flow with the music because the band (Ray Manzarek, Robby Krieger, and John Densmore) really work hard to make the instruments flow with what melody or lyrics Morrison has created. Jim's not a phenomenal vocalist, but his voice fits the band extremely well. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall, Morrison Hotel is a classic record. From its high energy opener, 'Roadhouse Blues', to the slower and more peaceful 'Blue Sunday', to the very experiemental 'Indian Summer', the Doors never cease to amaze with Morrison Hotel. The only track on here that isn't totally jaw dropping is probably 'You Make Me Real'. I don't know what it is but it just never strikes me as a classic Doors song. That being said, the songs flow together extremely well. If anybody stole this record I would buy it again immediately. // 9

Morrison Hotel Reviewed by: jmb14, on march 09, 2011

Sound: This album was a return to the basics for the band after The Soft Parade was criticized for adding brass sections. The musical styles vary from blues (I have always loved the Doors blues stuff), to jazz, to the psychedelic stuff that they were best known for. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are some of Morrison's best. Jim may not be the best vocalist of all time, and he definately had a limited range, his voice fit the Doors music perfectly. The music really compliments the lyrics, especially on Land Ho!, Roadhouse Blues, and Waiting for the Sun. // 9

Overall Impression: Great album. This album is, in my opinion, far superior to its follow up L.A. Woman, but inferior to their debut, albeit only slightly. My favorite song on this album is Land Ho! But they are all very good, especially Roadhouse Blues and Waiting for the Sun. I ripped it into my computer when I bought it so if it were stolen I'd just make another copy. // 10

More Doors reviews rating latest review
+ The Soft Parade 8.6 06/10/2013