The Very Best Of Review

Genres: Rock
 8.9
 9.1
The Very Best Of Reviewed by: RedMoonMan, on september 10, 2007

Sound: The sound is what is to be expect from the door we have Jim deep dark voice, Robbies flameco style alectric guitar, Ray Mazechecks hypnoticly amazing keyboard playing, and John Densmore's jazz drumming. It all meshes together perfectly for the best acid rock you may ever hear in your entire life. The pure pation and emotion that just pour out of The Doors is amazing. Now a lot of the songs on the album have some new things added in here and there and they screw with my mind since I am used to hearing them the original way. It still sounds good just I would of rathered them not screw with a good thing. It all still sounds like the original Doors because it is just with some new solos and wierd sounds here and there. I give the sound an 8 becuase I much prefer the original recordings. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics are what you would think to come out of the warped and twisted mind of Jim Morrison. The lyrics reflect Jims amazing poetry skills and are some of the best lyrics from one of the best lyric writers to ever live. The words are full of all kinds of indirect references to drugs, sex, and death. Mixed with the sorta upbeat music in the background you wouldn't expect it to sound right but it comes out in a way that no other band could have done it. The words remain unchanged from the original recordings as far as I can tell. // 10

Overall Impression: In my mind there is no other band to compare The Doors to, they touch you at every emotional level possible. Few other band have been able to make every song an instant great like The Doors have done. I love the way that all of the intruments compliment each other so well and everythign just sort of rolls with each other. I am just starting to get used to the weird edits they did to a lot of the songs and I am not digging them very much. If you wanna get a doors greatest hits CD I would recomend getting one without wierd mixes in it. I would buy this CD agian just becuase it isn't exaclly the same as the other Doors album, but if you are not a very big Doors fan I would not recomend getting it. // 7

The Very Best Of Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 28, 2009

Sound: The Doors are considered by many to be one of the most important artists in rock history. At a time when 'flower power' had become the rage, they emerged as the opposite; as the yin to the now popular yang. While teenyboppers screamed for the Beatles and the Stones, The Doors were a band for the thinkers. Their music was melancholy; Krieger's guitar playing a subtle blend of classical and blues; Densmore's unpredictable drumming switching from a laid back, jazzy style, sometimes emulating rythms from such diverse influences as brazilian music, to a sudden explosion of sound; Manzarek's organ a haunting, droning cry and Morrison's voice, a soft, Sinatra like baritone, an aggresive growl, and at times a painful cry, as he recited the philosophical poetry that was his lyrics. This album contains 34, digitally remastered examples of such music, and while it cannot provide for you the same experience as one of their studio albums, I have to say, every track is gold. // 8

Lyrics: Jim Morrison was an outstanding songwriter. His lyrics had a certain relevance that will never fade, a relevance to life, not to the times. His style was derivative of poets such as William Blake and Arthur Rimbaud, but the themes of his songs were often philosophical, inspired by the works of Nietzsche. Like many aspects of his life, Morrison attempted to push what was acceptable in lyrics to the limit, without losing any depth to what he was singing. Many people would say that he achieved this goal in the 11 minute epic 'The End', in which he incorporated lyrics related to the oedipal complex. In my opinion however, Morrison's greatest lyrical achievment was in 'People Are Strange', a song that observes how obscure the world can seem when you question why things are the way they are. // 10

Overall Impression: In my opinion, it truly is the very best of The Doors. If it is a greatest hits you are looking for, you need not look any further. I also feel however, that their is a certain experience in listening to a Doors album, especially their eponymous debut, that a compilation simply cannot bring. Their is something about the way the tracks fit together on their albums that just takes you to another place. Listening to this in a sense is like reading individual chapters of lots of different stories, without ever finishing one whole book. I'm sure that listeners will love all of the songs, but I'm also sure that any Doors fan would recommend listening to their original albums, from start to finish, in order to fully appreciate their music. // 7

The Very Best Of Reviewed by: CWEBB04z, on may 26, 2008

Sound: The music was remastered, you could tell by comparing the old albums, to the new greatest hits, and the fact that it says so on the back of the CD case. It sounds very nice when remastered, the music does not sound like they are from the 60's-70's, which is great to hear each individual song that features Morrisons great voice, Krieger's great Guitar playing, Manzcerck's great Piano playing, and Densmore drumming. IT features 34 of The Doors innovative style of psychedelic rock, whihc combines Jim Morrisons poems to a style of rock music. // 10

Lyrics: Oh man, Morrison has the best voice, and his lyrics are awesome. The music flows very well with Morrison on the microphone, and the songs are pretty lengthy and feature great lyrics that contain verses that point out the concerns of their time, such as the vietnam war in the song "Unknown Soldier". // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is well worth the money, it contains 2 CD's with 34 awesome songs. The most impressive songs on the CD in my opinion are Five to One, Changeling, Waiting for the sun, Break on through (To the other side), L.A Women, Riders on the Storm, and many others, I could quite possibly say the whole album. What I love about this CD is the variety of music, and the lengthy songs, there is no critical things I have to say about this CD, if someone was to steal or I lost it, I would definitely buy another one. // 10

More Doors reviews rating latest review
+ The Soft Parade 8.6 06/10/2013