Down III: Over The Under Review

down: Down III: Over The Under
Release Date: Sep 24, 2007
Label: Wea/Roadrunner
Genres: Rock
This record documents the lives of these New Orleans natives through the last 5 years of catastrophe, tragedy and ultimately triumph.
 9.7
 9.9
 9.5
Down III: Over The Under Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 25, 2007

Sound: So I was at this bash this weekend and someone from that party handed me a CD that said Down III "Over The Under" and told me to take it home and listen to it but bring it back. In shock, I look at them and ask "Are you f--king serious?" only because it does not come out until the 25th of the month. In any case, I do so. Opening track "3 Stars and 1 Sun" starts with some feed back but starts off with the classic down sound, sounding simalar to "Lifer" from there first CD, "Nola". From the gate Phil Anselmo's vocals are very solid and seems to have a softer approach, for the lack of a better discription, but still meet Down fan's standards. Track 8, "Beneath The Tides" is the longest song on the CD pushing 9 minutes and is probably the lightest song on the CD and probably the best all around. It is extremely apparent that the guitar work is nothing short of incredible, going from calm to aggressive without Phil screaming but singing. The instrumental parts in the song are intricate but go right back to the hard chops Pepper and Kirk are notorious for. Tracks 9, "His Majesty The Desert" and 10, "Pillamyd" bleed into each other. "His Majesty The Desert" starts off sorta like "Jail" from NOLA and then fades into "Pillamyd" and when that finally kicks in it is like a hammer to your face. Aggressive to the bone and unrelentless. Overall, the sound is classic Down. Any fan of Down will love this CD. // 10

Lyrics: Phil comes through unbelievebly. His sound as I said previously are very solid but have a softer approach, cutting out a lot of the classic screaming and replacing it with harmonizing with the brutallity behind his voice. It is very apparent that they are more then pissed off about hurricane Katrina, Dimebag and this whole war. "And when we walk away there will be no coming home," Beneath The Tides. There are solid statements made in every song and I believe this is probably there best work vocally. // 10

Overall Impression: Comapring this to other Down albums is a grave mistake. All 3 albums are different in there own way but still have one thing in common and that is the sound that Down produces. I love the guitar work on just about every song on the album and Rex Brown can still strum a bass like the best of them. I don't particularly hate anything on this album, I just wish there was a little bit more diversity among some of the songs, as on previous albums where they had strictly acoustic songs where as on "Over The Under" the closest to anything like that is "Beneath The Tides" and "His Majesty The Desert". The CD was not worth copying or burning but it sure as f--k is worth buying on the 25th when it is released. This is one band where pirating there music is almost considerd a death sentence so regaurdless if I have gotten my hands on it already I am still going to the store on the 25th of this month and buying it. // 10

Down III: Over The Under Reviewed by: SilentGhost, on december 04, 2007

Sound: I've read Phil's interview on Revolver and apparently, he was going through some physical therapy and surgery for his back problems (which he faced while he was still in Pantera). The album itself was written by Phil, Keenan, and Windstien. Windstien brings Crowbar's chuggy riffs and downtuned playing into the songs. Keenan puts in the rhythmic styled guitars that are heard in his band Corrosion of Conformity. I have heard Phil's vocals change over the few Pantera albums, and in my opinion they have changed for the worse. His vocals on Reinventing the Steel was nothing compared to the ones on VDP and CBH, but this album changed all that. Phil's vocals on this album sounds fresh and as if he's back in his mid-late '20s again. The drums are fantastic as well and they keep the rhythm going pretty well. Overall, I think this is a really great album with some nice, catchy riffs and good vocals. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are more about regret, sorrow, anger, and more about their personal problems. It's a lot deeper than some of Phil's other works and it clearly shows all the troubles that he had to go through after Dimebag's death. The sound of the music matches perfectly with the lyrics. The low riffs brining out the negative view of the lyrics, while the faster parts and the solos expresses the anger. Phil's voice matches the lyrics very well with his screams and more melodic singing. // 10

Overall Impression: I'd say that this is one of the best albums that Phil has put out so far. Unlike Superjoint or Pantera, this entire album is more sludge and it definitely does feel slowed down. Those people who like both Crowbar and CoC will love this album. If it was stolen, I'd go and steal it back, then tell the guy that he has good taste in music. // 9

More Down reviews rating latest review
+ Down IV - Part II [EP] 7.7 05/15/2014