NOLA Review

down: NOLA
Released: Sep 19, 2005
Genre: Southern Metal, Sludge Metal
Label: Elektra
"NOLA" is also an incredible album for anyone getting into Down. Nowadays, it's all watered down and it's all commercial... Down remains a rebel heavy metal band true to its roots.
 9.6
 9.7
 9.5
NOLA Reviewed by: LeVl@th@n, on april 28, 2011

Sound: Initially though, being a huge Pantera (read Dimebag) fan, I had pretty much stopped following the band or the members thereof after his tragic death (RIP Dime). However, after listening to "Official Live Proof 101" by Pantera, I had a sudden new found respect for the front man Phil. And boy, was I surprised after listening to "NOLA" by Down. Though I have listen to the other two albums by Down, I do sincerely believe that "NOLA" takes the pie... and that too in its own style. The sound is certainly different from that of Pantera in being which it does tend to have a sludge-metal sort of feel to it. But the beauty of it is that it does make it a point to retain the old-school heavy metal sound that all of us have grown to swear by... in every single song. I personally think that the guitar work on the song "Stone The Crow" is amazing and so is the bluesy southern feel in "Eyes Of The South". "Jail" is pleasantly reminiscent of Black Sabbath's "Planet Caravan". // 9

Lyrics: Phil, the animal that he is, sings his heart out on every track in "NOLA". Being an avid fan of both Pantera and Down, one soon realizes that Phil is indeed the king of versatility. His clean vocals can sometimes send shivers down the spine of an intent listener and his screams and shrieks... well lets just they are sick. The lyrics are often about the self and are as always heartfelt and meaningful. The same can be best exemplified in tracks like "Lifer", "Stone The Crow", "Temptations Wings" and the like. // 10

Overall Impression: In my humble opinion it doesn't compare to the crap that was out when "NOLA" came out, it beats the s***t out of them. And bands like down are the ones who still are flying the flag of heavy metal high, today. The few and proud as Phil would say. Although I don't have the album, I downloaded the torrent. But if I did have it, and it was stolen... I would hunt down the fa**ot and beat it back from him. Its an amazing listen and I would recommended it to all metal listeners out there. "NOLA" is also an incredible album for anyone getting into Down. Nowadays, its all watered down and its all commercial... Down remains a rebel heavy metal band true to its roots. // 10

NOLA Reviewed by: The Crab420, on november 22, 2012

Sound: Well this sound is incredible it really is. Pepper Keenan ripping it up on guitar and Phil's vocals that just gives me goosebums any time I hear this album. I bought this album not to long ago because I was on Pantera Radio on Pandora and this band came up Down. I was blown away you can hear pain and emotion in Phil's voice. I really can't say that there was any innovation but this music was very different when you heard it you either love it or hate it and become a fan for life if you loved it. Down just makes me wanna forget the world and hang out will all my friends and party yet it also makes me wanna reflect. The other thing I really wanna touch upon is the drumming in this album. You can feel it to say the least. // 9

Lyrics: Phil bares it all in this album "Bury Me In Smoke", "Temptation's Wings", "Stone The Crow" or "Hail The Leaf" you really get a sense that the musician ship is on another level. The lyrics really do sync up with the song I can not really point out anything that stood out that was not something that was anything other than a work of art. The lyrics had this sort of bluntness yet intelligence that some one that has been as damaged as Phil can really make a connection with these lyrics. I really do not know what more I can say with out raving like a little school girl about this section. // 10

Overall Impression: This is by far there best album. (Not saying the others are not as good but this was there crowning achievement.) I listen to this album on a daily basis now that I own it. This album really just brings me down to earth and puts my head on straight. The most impressive songs to look for on this album are "Temptation's Wings", "Stone The Crow", "Hail The Leaf", "Lifer", "Bury Me In Smoke", "Jail", "Swan Song" and "Pillars Of Eternity". I love every aspect of this album if people want to take a little side bar from Pantera this is the record to do it with. Now if you want to gauge how good this album is put it this way if some one stole it I would hunt them down and use your imagination on the rest. // 10

More Down reviews rating latest review
+ Down IV - Part II [EP] 7.7 05/15/2014