Nation Review

8.3
 4.1
review (1) 14 comments vote for this album:
Nation Reviewed by: TheMetalcoreGuy, on june 22, 2012

Sound: First off, this is my first review, so just be chill if I spell something wrong, don't prove a point very well, etc. Anyways, here it goes. Dr. Acula is out to prove some people wrong on "Nation". The 6-piece band from New York has come a long way musically from "S.L.O.B.". On "Nation", Dr. Acula truly cuts no corners. Fans of "Slander", will fall in love with this record. Guitar work on this album is awesome Ricky and Bill do their parts perfectly. Some high points being being the riff at the end of "Suburban Superstar (Strung Out On Strong Island)", and the riffs in "Thinner" really help to make the end of the album crushing. Drum work is pretty good, Jesse does a good job being creative. The album itself was mixed by Jeremy Comitas, he really hit home with it, the album sounds really good. Something that "Slander" fans might miss, is there are no movie/quote clips. Instead, there is a narrator throughout the album talking about how the "DA Nation" is taking over the world. I myself miss the little clips they threw in, but the album is overall very solid. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in this album, like they said, are rather angry. From smack talking the smack-talkers, to bashing religion, they really don't hold up on the lyrics this time around. They still have a funny, not as serious side, e.g. "What will you do when the money runs out? You'll be sucking those dicks on the corner of fifth, with your cute little tear drop catching the jizz". Tyler (mids and highs) really didn't change too much, except that he used his mids a lot more. Casey changed quite a bit. He doesn't do as many gutturals as he did on "Slander". He growls more on this album, while still using a few gutturals. // 9

Overall Impression: This album came out the same day of "Whitechapel" by Whitechapel and "Evolve" EP by Chelsea Grin and stands up very well against them. My favorite songs are "The Party Is Over (Locked On Target)", "Surburban Superstar (Strung Out On Strong Island)" and "Thinner". I really enjoyed the lyrics on the album. I do however miss the synth (Joey left a while back) and I miss the audio clips. If it was stolen or lost, I would easily go back and buy it. A very solid effort "Dr. Acula", very solid. // 8

More Dr Acula reviews rating latest review