Valley Of The Damned Review

dragonforce: Valley Of The Damned
Release Date: Feb 25, 2003
Label: Noise/Sanctuary
Genres: Power Metal, Neo-Classical Metal, Heavy Metal
Valley of the Damned could be construed as a bloated, Spinal Tap-style tribute to early-'80s fantasy-metal, and in many ways it is; however, it's so well played and so joyously executed that it could very well reignite the entire genre.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.4
 9.8
 8.9
Valley Of The Damned Reviewed by: Warheart1188, on october 10, 2006

Sound: I was kinda skeptical when I heard their demo back when they were called Dragonheart but when this full length album came out, I was blown away. This CD is amazing in so many ways. The dynamic duo of Sam Totman and Herman Li take metal where it hasn't been in many years with blazing twin melodies and incredible solos, and some of the fastest riffs, licks and solos ever heard. The overall feel reminds back in the Priest and Maiden days. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are fun to read and sing along to and the way ZP Theart sings them is really catchy. I was reminded of Lord of the Rings and medieval stories as I was reading listening to the lyrics and they are well composed and complement the music very very well. // 10

Overall Impression: For it's time, I wouldn't compare to anything else. They have the speed and furiousity of bands like Strapping Young Lad and the compositional skills of bands like Iron Maiden and Yngwie Malmsteen and other power metal acts. This CD is so good that I got extra copies to keep in my car, my bedroom and one to keep in the CD collection. It's just mind blowing to listen to this CD because the guitar solos are beyond amazing, and the music is fun and it lets you know that these guys are not the type to mess with and they know what they're doing. // 10

Valley Of The Damned Reviewed by: Madaxeman1618, on february 27, 2006

Sound: God for a first album this things incredible. The virtuosity of the guitarists and the overall speed and energy of this CD ins amazing. This is the third dragonforce album I've bought and its already one of my most treasured albums. The guitars have an awesome sound, the drumming is fantastic and the vocals are top notch even though ZP Theart (lead vocals) hasn't trained his voice as much as on later albums. Only slight downer on the sound is Herman Li's overuse of what can only be described as a weew weew pedal (probably has a proper name, if ne1 can tell me it ill b very gratefull 'cause I want one) but that's just not picking. // 10

Lyrics: ZP has an awesome, original voice which he uses to great effect here, only problem is that the lyrics are a bit cheesy. Like all Dragonforce and most power metal their mainly about war and fire and dragons. Not a major downer though 'cause their still awesome. The vocals fit perfectly with the music and their are many interesting vocal melodies that are catchy and easy to get into. // 9

Overall Impression: Fantastic album. Not even really comparing to the brilliance of Inhuman Rampage but still one of the best albums I own. Best songs are Valley Of The Damned, Black Fire (pure Dragonforce this one), Disciples Of Babylon, Evening Star and Heart Of A Dragon. Being an axeman myself I love the pure shredding skills of the twin leads and the catchy vocal melodies. In fact theres nothing about this album I don't like! If it were stolen, actually I don't think I'd be allowed to say what I'd do to the thief on an unrestricted website but lets just say heels only a warm up compared to me when I'm angry! // 10

Valley Of The Damned Reviewed by: kimi01, on june 21, 2007

Sound: Hello to all of you members and wedsite users this is Kimi01and I am proud to be writing my first review for the site and all its users feel free to contact me on anything you think I write that is wrong. My first ever review will be on my favourite band Dragonforce and their firt album Valley of the Damned. Dragonforce is a power metal band who pride themselves on writing and providing good quality music for their listeners. Their music is based on video game music. The power chords combined with Herman and Sam's guitar shredding solos creates a purfect mind blowing blend of melody abd rhythm. Straight from the start they jump into the role as England's biggest power metal group. // 10

Lyrics: Dragonforce's lyrics are based on a worrior theme. They are about standing for what you believe and riding too battle 'warrior with sword in hand/travells fast across the land/for freedom he rides' (track 2 Valley of the Damned line 5) I think this is good because people should fight for what they believe in. The music is tied well with the lyrics. The chords change pattern works hand in hand with the lyrics to get the feel and meaning behind what is said. ZP Theart is the lead singer. And can sing passionately with the lyrics. Whilst the rest of the band sing echoes and backing vocal giving a heroic surrounding sound. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall I love the CD. it's stage melting solos creats a work of musicl art. The best songs are innovation of apocalyptic evil combined with valley of the damned, Starfire, Heart of a Dragon and the all time classic Deciples of Babylon. This is a great CD and I have already recommended it to all of my friends. I would definetly buy it again if it were stolen. // 10

More Dragonforce reviews rating latest review
+ The Power Within 8.5 04/17/2012