Black Wings Of Destiny Review

dragonlord: Black Wings Of Destiny
Release Date: Oct 25, 2005
Label: New Media Studio
Genres: Death Metal/Black Metal
While metal fans have known for quite some time that Peterson is one of thrash metal's better rhythm guitarists, few knew that he is in fact a singer to boot, as he also handles vocal chores for Dragonlord.
 9.4
 9.5
 9.3
Black Wings Of Destiny Reviewed by: 6black6label6, on november 28, 2006

Sound: The band is a collaboration of Eric Peterson of Testament and Steve Smith of Nevermore, but they collide in a black metal massacre. With Eric peterson on vocals, he tries his best to belt out a Shgrath like roar and does pretty well, as well he fills in with some clean vocals to complete the diverse circle that is Dragonlord. The guitar is very promininent and the drumming is immaculate, along with some very rock-like songs (I belive they may be covers), I belive dragonlord has a little something for everyone. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are well written and well sung, I think the singing adds to the overall song writing. I have yet to fully delve into the lyrics but I can tell you there was never a moment where I had to rewind and say "what the f--k did he just say?" and I'm sure Peterson was trying to make an album that was mostly about his ans smith's guitar skills. // 10

Overall Impression: I have yet to hear anything else from these guys, but as soon as I do it'll be here. Probably my favourite songs are the opening 2 tracks, they give you no heads up before it breaks into a black metal assault. I love the diversity of this album, and I love that hardly anyone has ever heard of Dragonlord and that makes for some good listening. If you're a fan of Testament and Nevermore, they are nothing like Dragonlord, so five them a listen. I didn't like the clean vocals in some parts, they just seemed a little out of place. Now if someone stole this CD from me or I lost it, I would be pretty pissed, and I would try pretty damn hard to find it again, but the thing cost me like $35 so I wont rush out to buy it again until I had a little more money. // 9

Black Wings Of Destiny Reviewed by: Burning_Angel, on june 25, 2007

Sound: Steve Smyth, Eric Peterson and co. have done a great job with this album, showcasing their darker musical ventures. The bands' sound is excellent; every instrument is heard clearly and easily (even the bass takes a 'lead' at times). The music is fantastic. Don't expect standard black metal here; no minimalism to be found, and solos and leads abound. The music is so dark and evil sounding, I think courtesy of the atmosphere the keyboards create. I don't think there's a story attached to the album, as it's pretty song based, but it's still great; all of the songs stand well on their own. The record is a black metal masterpiece, but in every song it seems there are multiple melodic leads and such. Nothing else I can think of can be said. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are fantastic as well. They fit the music perfectly, telling tales of the devil, and his minions rising up from the underworld (Fallen), and other blasphemous lyrical ventures. The lyrics certainly fit the dark atmosphere of the music. The vocalist, Peterson, has a menacing roar. There are comparisons to Dimmu Borgir's Shagrath, and I think Shagrath is an influence on the vocals, I think Peterson doesnt't really sound like him. Peterson also showcases his clean vocals in a few songs, and they are well placed as well. He's a great vocalist. // 10

Overall Impression: I have not heard all of the album "Revelations", but from what I have, This album is definitely quite a bit better. All of the tracks are excellent, but Sins Of Allegiance and Blood Voyeur really stand out. I love everything about the album, however, some of the tracks, for some reason sound a bit "samey" (see: Until The End And Sins Of Allegiance), until they come on at least. If it were stolen or lost, I wouldn't worry too much, because I have it on my computer, so I could burn it again. // 9

Comments