It's Only Time Review

drake bell: It's Only Time
Release Date: Dec 5, 2006
Label: Universal
Genres: Alternative Pop/Rock
What he put thought into saying on It's Only Time isn't exactly earth-shattering, the teen-targeted, relationship stuff he's spouting has been set forth a million different ways before.
 8.2
 7.8
 8.6
It's Only Time Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 20, 2007

Sound: After living thru a horrific car crash a year ago, Drake Bell is glad to be alive, and you can tell from his music! I knew of him from Drake and Josh and I had listened to a few songs off his debut album, but I really wasn't expecting much more than moderately catchy pop songs from this album. However, I was pleasantly surprised from the 30 second samples of his songs that I listened to off of itunes, so much that I purchased his entire album. There's not a single bad song on the album, each one is as fun and catchy as the last. It could have done without the addition of theme song of Drake and Josh, "Found A Way," but you have to give him credit for trying his best to give a fresh take on the song with the edition of some Sgt Pepper-esque backing sounds. With obvious Beatles influences, and a strong singing voice, his music has matured greatly since his last album. There isn't a single sad or depressing song on this album (probably not a coencidence) and each song is full of backing tracks, and bursting with rich sounds. Sgt. Pepper like background sounds can be found on many tracks including "Found A Way." It's hard to explain what makes his album so different than most stuff out there, but it's largly due to the unapologetic joyfull vibe that it send out. Also, the old school jazzy '20s sounds that can be heard in a few songs, and the obvious homage he pays to '60s artists is really refreshing and makes it fun to listen to and sing along with. "End it Good" is definitely a one of kind, and adds a really unique touch to the album. // 9

Lyrics: Drake's lyrics for the most part sound like he really means what he's saying, as opposed to just writing shallow, easy-to-sing-along with lyrics that dominate most pop songs of recent years. They sound like they were taken from real life experiences and actually make you think instead of just blindly singing along. The lyrics of "Up Periscope" could be taken badly by some parents and younger fans, with the opening line being "I sneak a peek to see just what you were wearing last night, what was left from ripping off your clothes I check to see the door was closed as you were turning off the lights." However it's the only slightly objectionably song on the album, and certainly no worse than lyrics of many popular rap songs out there. // 8

Overall Impression: All in all, I am really impresed with how Drake manages to sucessfully balence catchy pop melodies with a big soulfull nostalgic sound that really sets him apart from most thin, shallow sounding songs of his genre. "I Know" and "Fool The World," are both highlights of the album, and "End It Good" is a really fun song as well. It's obvious that his car crash was a life changing experience and the more maturer side of him is definitely coming thru in his music. I would rush out and buy it again if it was lost. This album is one of the best new albums I've heard in a while, and I can't wait to see what he does next. // 9

It's Only Time Reviewed by: thebettyfier, on april 11, 2008

Sound: The sound of most songs on It's Only Time is somewhat different to the sound that probably have developed an interest in Drake Bell. It contains lighter music than what would have developed your interest, and it is a lot less rocky and more like a pop album. I found this relatively disappointing. There is a significant use of piano (which is not objected in itself) that with the rest of the music end up with an over textured sound or just simple pop-rock. This is Drake Bell's 2nd album but his first one was released independently, containing his heavier music. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics on some songs are very creative and inspirational but in most of the songs they are very clich. When reading the lyrics I happened to realize that Drake Bell has a habit of embedding his song names into virtually every song. The compliance of the music and the lyrics is pretty good, actually, and has been intellectually done. I don't think that there are any occasions where there is not good compliance with lyrics and music, which probably the main factor that makes the album what it is. Regarding singer skills, Drake Bell keeps control of the notes, but never really seems to exercise his singing ability to the full, and I think that if he did, the album could be much better. // 8

Overall Impression: I think I could compare this album to a blend of Lenny Kravitz and Hoosiers kind of sound, but easily a bit worse than these. The most impressive songs from the album have to be Found A Way, Makes Me Happy, and Fool The World because these are the most creative songs and are more rapid and upbeat than the others on the album. The thing I love most about it is the bonus DVD that contains two guitar lessons, photo shoot outtakes, and acoustic performance and the official I know video. The thing I hate most about it is that the sound was very disappointing because I was hoping for a heavier CD. When I started to listen to the album I became disappointed and thought that it was not worth what I paid for it. It may not be so disappointing to others who purchase this CD, but if I lost my CD, I might buy it again, but only if it was cheaper. // 7

It's Only Time Reviewed by: BluesGuitar23, on august 18, 2007

Sound: Whenever Drake Bell writes a song, it always sounds very unique, made and mixed to exellence. His guitar and piano skills are quite hard core, and the mixing of his songs sound great. Of all his songs, none of them have no story. "Makes Me Happy", "Found A Way", "I Know", and "Up Periscope" and all the rest have a story in it, a experience he faced and came out all right. Usually, however, the record company really mixes the songs out, and they sound less made for rock/pop, more funk and jazzy pop. This brings down the rock fans. // 7

Lyrics: Drake Bell's lyrics are great, they fit with the songs, they go with the beats and they definently please the fans. Drake has awesome tone with the 2 things he does great at, singing and playing the guitar. He seals all of the music with some smooth lyrics that seem to weave in and out of the music, sometimes throwing out a sentence or phrase that links to our own lives, which is awesome for artists, because the music links up the listeners to the song. He has a great voice, but he should think about changing his style of music to something hard core and more rock then that funk/jazz/and pop mix. // 8

Overall Impression: Drake Bell can really compare to other great artists, but he might not come to the top and stay for a time. His music sometimes in peoples ears can't keep the listener in forever, they would get tired of the continous songs about relationships, heart breaks, sex, and finding ways in our lives. If you listen to all of his songs, they all have 1 or 2 of these topics in them. I really love the fact he can dazzle people with great music, but I don't like the fact the whole thing goes away and you get bored of it. If it was stolen or lost, I'd consider getting a new one, but mostly I wont, just get another artist's album to sing and dance to. // 8

It's Only Time Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 24, 2008

Sound: The sound of most songs on It's Only Time is somewhat different to the sound that probably have developed an interest in Drake Bell. It contains lighter music than what would have developed your interest, and it is a lot less rocky and more like a pop album. I found this relatively dissapointing. There is a significant use of piano (which is not objected in itself) that with the rest of the music end up with an overtextured sound or just simple pop-rock. This is Drake Bell's 2nd album but his first one was released independently, containing his heavier music. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics on some songs are very creative and inspirational but in most of the songs they are very clich. When readig the lyrics I happened to realize that Drake Bell has a habit of embedding his song names into virtually every song. The compliance of the music and the lyrics is pretty good, actually, and has been intellectually done. I don't think that there are any occasions where there is not good compliance with lyrics and music, which probably the main factor that makes the album what it is. Regarding singer skills, Drake Bell keeps control of the notes, but never really seems to excercise his singing ability to the full, and I think that if he did, the album could be much better. // 8

Overall Impression: I think I could compare this album to a blend of Lenny Kravitz and Hoosiers kind of sound, but easily a bit worse than these. The most impressive songs from the album have to be Found A Way (track no.5), Makes Me Happy (track no.6), and Fool The World (track no.7) because these are the most creative songs and are more rapid and upbeat than the others on the album. The thing I love most about it is the bonus DVD that contains two guitar lessons, photoshoot outtakes, and acoustic performance and the offiacial I know video. The thing I hate most about it is that the sound was very dissapointing because I was hoping for a more rocky-sounding cd. When I started to listen to the album I became dissapointed and thoiught that it was not worth what I paid for it. It may not be so dissapointing to others who purchase this cd, but if I lost my cd, I might buy it again, but only if it was cheaper. // 7

More Drake Bell reviews rating latest review