Dragon Slayer Review

dream evil: Dragon Slayer
Release Date: Jun 25, 2002
Label: Century Media
Genres: Heavy Metal, Speed Metal
Melodic heavy metal from Sweden. 13 killer anthems were nailed down on tape at Studio Fredman with a production that's second to none.
 9.6
 9.3
 9.9
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Dragon Slayer Reviewed by: teenrocker, on december 13, 2006

Sound: Dream Evil are part of the recent spur of power metal. They aren't one of the big players but chances are that these guys are going to hit it big. They have a very powerful feeling about them, even on CD and they have fantastically catchy songs. Dragon Slayer has an odd sound, combining intense riffing and blues. 'Heavy Metal Jesus', for example, is outrightly based on a blues scale. What every song has in common is the simplicity of a metal riff, backed up by some very solid drumming. // 9

Lyrics: Dream Evil's singer goes by the name of Niklas Isfeldt. He is a very confident and powerful singer, belting out some wacko high notes. Niklas is one of the best singers around in a metal band these days and is a real pleasure to listen to. Lyric-wise, Dream Evil songs are all fantasy based that are short, sharp and simple. These all add up to some very catchy songs, in particular the last three songs of the album: 'Heavy Metal In The Night', 'H.M.J.' and 'Hail To The King'. // 10

Overall Impression: Dragon Slayer really surprised me. I was suspecting just another power metal album but somehow this album is more than that. There is something there that just makes me wanna listen to this CD over and over again. The main thing about Dream Evil that makes them so memorable for me, though, is their singer. As I said before, Niklas is an extremely powerful singer and has a brilliant voice. Combined with the simplistic songs and his amazing voice, this is surely an album that one will never forget. If you like power metal, you will love Dragon Slayer. // 9

More Dream Evil reviews rating latest review