The Book Of Heavy Metal Review

dream evil: The Book Of Heavy Metal
Release Date: Jul 13, 2004
Label: Century Media
Genres: Rock
The Book Of Heavy Metal is a brazen tribute to this always controversial genre ? as likely to invoke blind devotion from its fans as it does outright dismissal from its antagonists.
 7.3
 8.6
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
The Book Of Heavy Metal Reviewed by: Paroxysm, on february 28, 2006

Sound: This is their 3rd album I believe and the first DE album I owned. I heard reviews about them on different sites and decided to go ahead and give it a try (after all, it's a deal when a DVD is included). If you are interested in classic heavy metal, then this is the CD for you. There are some "chuga-chuga-chugs" that I like but it's not "brutal" or anything. There is a slow song called Unbreakable Chains which is an okay song. Gus G (lead guitarist) has a rather tasteful tone. // 8

Lyrics: For heavy metal, I say lead vocalist Niklas Isfeldt got it down. Now he isn't Bruce Dickinson or Rob Halford but he got his own thing going on so I'm going to give him credit. The lyrics are written by all the band members and I wouldn't call it cliche though it sounds like it. Most of the lyrics are written by drummer Snowy Shaw. Guitarist Fredrick Nordstorm and bassist Peter Stalfors did a good job with the backup vocals. // 7

Overall Impression: Not exactly the best metal album I heard. For me, the solos are rather short and music is simple. Most of the songs (which are short also) does nothing for me except maybe The Book of Heavy Metal, MOM, The Sledge, Crusaders' Anthem, and The Mirror. So, only 5 out of 12 songs? I enjoyed the DVD that came with it rather than the CD itself. I probably wouldn't buy another one if I lost it or got stolen because I would still have the DVD (unless they steal that too, then oh well). If you are a fan of heavy metal or already a fan of DE, get it if you don't have it. Otherwise, I would stay away. I'll probably check out Dragonslayer since it's more power metal. DVD contains footage from their Japan tour and them working in the studio. // 7

More Dream Evil reviews rating latest review