Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence Review

9.5
 9.2
 9.8
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 19, 2004

Sound: This is Dream Theater so everyone should already be able to guess what the sound rating is going to be. The musicianship of Dream Theater is frankly incredible! The first song of CD1 is like no other song they've ever done. The Glass Prison is very heavy metal with pounding tunes but still has a very thick texture and complexity. I have to mention Petrucci's sound here because his distortion on this song is fantastic! Other songs on the album are very diverse. From heavy metal in the opening track to core DT in Blind Faith and sad almost strange mood changes of Disappear. This album is incredible. Then there's CD2. The epic of epics. This 42m journey through Six Degrees of Mind Madness has so much different sound that Petrucci and Rudess' effects rigs 'should' be as big as Portnoy's drum kit! The song has orchestra, metal, madness, love, happiness, sorrow and a fitting ending that consists of probably the longest final chord ever! Magic. // 10

Lyrics: You always get the impression with Dream Theater that its more about the other musicians than the singer. LaBrie however does a wonderful job but you still get that feeling that this band would still be at the top of the prog rock scene without him. // 6

Overall Impression: Dream Theater's previous album 'Scenes From A Memory' was probably the best prog album ever and my expectations of this were high while I was still wary that it would be near impossible to top 'Scenes'. They've had a pretty good go though. The album has its share of angry heavy metal riffs as well as orchestral overtures. The diversity of sound on this album leaves me with no choice but to give it full marks! // 10

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 12, 2005

Sound: The sound of Dream theater is like no other band out there-full of timing changes, key changes, insanely difficult riffs for all instruments involved and overall brilliantly constructed songs. They have a heavier sound on this album than from Scenes. The Glass Prison but it is still a very progressive album and is not as dark as the follow up Train Of Thought. Six Degrees itself is an epic song, although one does get the feeling that although in theory, it's one song you can hear subtle changes as it progresses so you cannot think of it as one song. Some great keyboard solos on Blind Faith, interesting guitar distortion towards the end of Misunderstood and a very sombre feeling is given through Disappear. Top notch stuff! // 10

Lyrics: I know a lot of people out there aren't fond of their lyrics but I think they do quite well in this department (although they have challenged religion quite enough times now) but in 6 Degrees Mike's lyrics for Glass Prison (about his alcohol addiction and the first in a series of interconnected songs-This Dying Soul (Train Of Thought) and Root Of All Evil (Octavarium)) are intense and brilliant, John does some nice challenging religion lyrics with Blind Faith and also stem cell research with The Great Debate. Good stuff! // 8

Overall Impression: Another great accomplishment from the world's most technically brilliant band! Very progressive thoroughout and heavier than previous albums. Mike dazzles on his kit (he won best recorded performance for this) John is, well, John-probably the greatest technical and just amazing guitarist of all time, Myung always astounds and Jordan is so quick around the keyboard it's hard to comprehend how awesome he is. James voice is on top form too! Great album-get it if you want an edgier DT sound! Top 5 tracks (in no order) The Glass Prison, Blind Faith, Goodnite Kiss, Solitary Shell, tie with Misunderstood and Overture. // 10

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence Reviewed by: petrucci_owns86, on november 15, 2007

Sound: This album, in my opinion, is Dream Theater really coming together. There isn't really a story incorporated into the first 5 songs, but the final song does. It's the 42 minute title track "Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence", and it discusses 6 different types of mental illnesses. To me, it's one of DT's heavier offerings, with the first track, "The Glass Prison" being dominated entirely by seven-string guitar. The title track is DT's longest and arguably best song in their history. Also, "The Glass Prison" is the first song in Mike Portnoy's "Alcoholics Anonymous Suite". // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are very intelligible, and some of the deepest lyrics are found on this album, right up there with Awake and Scenes From a Memory. James LaBrie really shines here. This and Scenes From a Memory are the two albums that you can understand the singing the most on. James LaBrie doesn't use the operatic side of his voice as much on this album, which I think is a good thing. Mike Portnoy, the drummer, also sings backup vocals on some tracks, and trades off lead vocals with LaBrie on "The Glass Prison". Now I'll briefly explain each song on the album: 01. The Glass Prison - great way to kick off the album. It's the ballsiest way I've ever heard an album get started, clocking in at almost 14 minutes. Lyrics written entirely by Portnoy. Starts the "Alcoholics Anonymous Suite". Completely dominated by seven-string guitar. Amazing solos from the keyboards (Jordan Rudess) and guitar (John Petrucci). All the riffs really kick your ass, also. 02. Blind Faith - another great song, lyrics courtesy of James LaBrie. Cool instrumental section. This one also runs over 10 minutes. 03. Misunderstood - this is an awesome song. It takes a while for the guitar to kick in with distortion, but when it does, it's phenomenal. Cool guitar solo, sounds like Mr. Petrucci is using a reverse guitar effect. Lyrics were also written by JP. 04. The Great Debate - again, this one takes a while to get started, but when it does, it's great. At the beginning, there's a cool buildup of drums, bass, and clean guitar, with many different samples of news programs in the background. The news programs are discussing stem cell research, and the bulk of the song discusses stem cells also. Great instrumental section, lyrics written by Petrucci. 05. Disappear - not much to say about this song. It's kinda trippy, with an interesting keyboard/guitar duet at the beginning and end. No solos on this one. Lyrics by LaBrie. 06. Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence - discribes 6 different mental illnesses. Some of the best solos by Rudess and Petrucci in DT history on this song. 42 minutes long. I. Overture - Instrumental. II. About To Crash - about a girl with bipolar disorder. III. War Inside My Head - about a Vietnam war veteran with post-traumatic stress disorder. IV. The Test That Stumped Them All - a patient suffering from schizophrenia. V. Goodnight Kiss - about a mother who has lost her child, and therefore suffers with post-partum depression. VI. Solitary Shell - about a man with autism. VII. About to Crash (Reprise) - picks up where About to Crash left off, tells the story from the girl's perspective this time. VIII. Losing Time/Grand Finale - talks about a girl with dissociative identity disorder, meaning she has multiple personalities. In the Grand Finale, you, the listener, should learn to understand and accept people with the aforementioned mental illnesses. The six different degrees are more or less summed up in six lines: Deception of fame Degree 3: The Test That Stumped Them All Vengeance of war Degree 2: War Inside My Head Lives torn apart Degree 4: Goodnight Kiss Losing oneself Degree 6: Losing Time Spiraling down Degree 1: About To Crash/About to Crash (Reprise) Feeling the walls closing in Degree 5: Solitary Shell The final chord of "Grand Finale" lasts about a minute and forty-five seconds. The same chord fades into "As I am", the first track from their next album, Train of Thought. This explores the subject of the continuity between DT's albums. Another example of this is the fact that the final note of "In the Name of God" from Train of Thought opens "The Root of All Evil" from the next album, Octavarium. // 10

Overall Impression: This pretty much tops anything from any artist, in my opinion. The most impressive songs are all of them, excluding "Disappear". The latter just isn't that intriguing. I love everything about it. If it were stolen, I would buy it again. If you want to hear DT at their finest, buy this or Scenes From a Memory. // 10

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence Reviewed by: CaptainSBDA, on june 08, 2007

Sound: The sound, overall, is prog metal. It does lighten up in some of the parts of the epic title track (Goodnight Kiss, Solitary Shell), but for the most part the album is heavy, heavy heavy. This is proven by "The Glass Prison" on the first disc, an amazing metal song that will blow your mind up. And the title track switches from classical, Pantera-esque metal, acoustic rock, and pop all in one song. It's brilliant. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics here as a whole are the darkest of any DT album. We have alcoholism (The Glass Prison), abandonment and emptiness (Misunderstood), stem cell research (The Great Debate), and an epic take on all kinds of mental diseases and insanity (The Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence.) All of the lyrics are very well performed by the guys and are a definite highlight of this album. // 10

Overall Impression: 01. The Glass Prison - DT's second best song, next to "Octavarium." Brilliant, the best metal song I have heard in my life. 02. Blind Faith - the lyrics are troubling, but the music is good and the drums are amazing. the instrumental break at 5:00 is one of their best. 03. Misunderstood - probably the second best song on the album, brilliant lyrics, catchy chorus, brilliant music. Great song. 04. The Great Debate - hot topic issue: stem cell. It is well delivered; it shows arguments on both the democratic and republican side of things. A lot of metaphorical lyrics, very well delivered. 05. Disappear - boring, a horrible song. 06. The Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence - love the title, the song itself is a bit of a letdown. The Overture is ok, About to Crash isn't really good, The War Inside My Head is a great, war-bashing hard song, The Test that Stumped Them All is great Pantera-esque metal, Goodnight Kiss is boring, Solitary Shell is brilliant, and the Finale is ok. Overall, it's an upsen downs sort of song. But it's DT, so it's brilliant. Overall, it's DT's third best album in my opinion. I thought it was an interesting and hard rocking album. Buy this one for "The Glass Prison" alone. // 9

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence Reviewed by: tryhonesty, on november 25, 2009

Sound: Dream Theatre has always been the guys to do the long 20 minute songs and such. That what me, and probably many other people think when someone say" Dream Theatre". This applies well on this album because the 42 minute Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence is on this album, obviously. In my opinion, this is the group's best album. It has 3 of my favourite Dream Theatre songs on it. "Misunderstood", "The Glass Prison", and "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence". If you have never heard Dream Theatre, they are a progressive/Metal band, With Guitarist John Petrucci, Bassist John Myung, Singer James Labrie, Keyboardist Jordan Rudess and Drummer Mike Portnoy. // 9

Lyrics: James Labrie is one of the best singers I've ever heard. His voice really works well with metal. But he is also a skilled singer when singing in a quiet voice( for the quiet, clean parts of songs). Even though he damaged his vocals in 94' his voice is still good, and is better adapted to the metal songs more now. // 8

Overall Impression: If I lost this album or I was stolen, then I wouldn't bother to get another because I ripped it to my computer, lol. But if I didn't have it ripped onto here, then I'd defiantly purchase it again. And if your thinking of buying this album (which I strongly recommend) then be prepared to wait 2-4 weeks for the album to ship. I went to the local record store, they didn't have it, and so they shipped it in. But it was a burtal price to pay. This is DT's most expensive album. Cost 40$ after taxes... // 9

Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence Reviewed by: mqsand2112, on march 15, 2010

Sound: This album is one of my favorites and the sound that Dream Theater produces here is phenomenal! It enfuses different styles of music to create a strong, intense, and moving sound. This album balances cool synth leads and rythms with heavy guitar riffs and anything in between. Technically speaking there are some really cool breakdowns in a lot of the songs, especially notable at the end of About To Crash Reprise. Dream Theater is known to have sweet, and sometimes fast instrumental medleys and this album is no exception, Dream Theater always makes time in their songs to go crazy! All in all this album was way up there when it comes down to the sound of the music! // 9

Lyrics: As always Dream Theaters lyrics are astounding, and James Labrie's voice is so awesome that you can't not love it! With this album the first track, The Glass Prison, is about rehab from alcoholism dealing with the first three steps of the AA program. That theme is continued in later albums. A lot of the lyrics are very thought provoking. In the song The Great Debate, the band brings up quotes from the different sides and views on stem cell research and creates an ongoing "debate" throughout the song. This is why I love DT, they are highly talented but they also have that creativity that a lot of other bands lack. Lyrics for this album=awesome! // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said earlier this is one of my favorite DT albums. I think the main reason is because it is so easy to get into and really dig the music. It flows well and is full of surprises! The songs that really stick out to me are Blind Faith, the Great Debate, and About to Crash Reprise. Not to say that the other tracks are not as good no, the trakcs I picked are the ones that I think are the most inventive out of the album. Ths album you need to have, now! It is definitely one of Dream Theater's finest! // 9

More Dream Theater reviews rating latest review