Train Of Thought Review

dream theater: Train Of Thought
Released: Nov 14, 2003
Genre: Rock
Style: Heavy Metal, Guitar Virtuoso, Progressive Metal
This album is hard, heavy progressive metal at its very best lyrically and musically.
 Lyrics: 9.1
 9.6
 9.6
 9.5
Train Of Thought Reviewed by: s_fall20, on may 02, 2005

Sound: This is Dream Theater's latest studio release. It is heavier than any of their previous CDs. I think it is one of their best. The album contains only 7 songs but clocks in at around 70 minutes. Some people might not like the album for its long instrumental breaks. A few problems I have with the cd are the lack of keyboard atmosphere that were in such releases as Awake and Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence. It still offers some of my favorite playing from one of my favorite players John Petrucci. He is an amazing player that is one of the most technically proficient players I have ever heard. Another problem I have is that in a few songs, (Honor Thy Father, Endless Sacrifice, a bit in As I Am and This Dying Soul) in some of the verses there is a low fast talking. It bothers me in music when artists talk in the song. Some might like it and it does help communicate the lyrics of the song I don't care for it too much. Now on to song by song review: 01. As I Am - this is actually the first Dream Theater song I ever heard. I was in the car and it was on an XM radio station. I liked it a lot. The song deals with a theme of resistance and independence. I love the guitar playing on it like all of the CD - 4.5/5. 02. This Dying Soul - this song was written by the drummer Mike Portnoy. It is based of the AAP (Alcoholics Anonymous Program) 12 step program. This song is a continuation; I believe it is based on steps 4-6. I could be wrong. The previous songs were The Mirror from 1994's Awake and The Glass Prison from SDOIT. These 3 songs are some of my favorite from DT and this is a great one - 4/5. 03. Endless Sacrifice - a great one written by John Petrucci. I love the chorus and the guitar playing and of course the solos are great - 4/5. 04. Honor Thy Father - this one is written by Mike. It is a good one. The only glaring flaw is the fast talking - 4/5. 05. Vacant - a slow short song of 2: 49 with just James Labrie singing, John Myung on base, A piano and a cello. It is a nice change of pace - 3.5/5. 06. Stream Of Consciousness - a wonderful 11 minute instrumental. Some might not like it for its length and lack of singing but I think it's a beautiful song - 4/5. 07. In The Name Of God - a great ending to an outstanding album. This one is written by Petrucci. It deals with the theme of the terrorist's hatred towards America - 4.8/5. // 10

Lyrics: I love the lyrics on this album. I can interpret and relate to them in some way. The lyrics flow great with the music. I just have a problem with the low fast speaking. James Labrie sings higher than most of the singers in the bands I listen to but he is an amazing singer. // 8

Overall Impression: It ranks up there with some of the best by DT. My personal favorites are As I Am and In The Name Of God. I love the great music and lyrics. I don't like the lack of keyboard playing and low fast talking. If it was stolen I would kick the crap out of whoever stole and either take it back or buy another one for the list price of 18.95. // 10

Train Of Thought Reviewed by: ivan_2894, on july 25, 2007

Sound: I found that this album is the type of album that gives you the creeps the first time you hear it. The bands objective during the composition of this great album was to make a whole CD with songs that would, like petrucci says in Score Documentary, "raise the crowd".The whole album is Progressive Metal, though they make a break in "Vacant" with a mellow song. I also found that there is much less prescence of keyboard than in any other album. // 10

Lyrics: 01. As I am - lyrics are great. Lyrics try to basicly say "if you don't like me, f--k you, I won't change" as the chorus says: "Take me as I am!" 02. This Dying Soul - lyrics of this dying soul are the continuation of Mike Portnoy's Alcoholic Suite (The continuation of The Glass Prison) and revise, as in Six Deg., the steps to leave alcoholism. 03. Endless Sacrifice - I found that lyrics in this song are very deep, they talk of a man that is going to get "crazy" if he can't see the person he needs to live. 04. Honor Thy Father - hate. The lyrics of this song show very clearly by the way of singing them and by the lyrics themself the hate to a step father who ruined a family. As most agressive lyrics, Mr. Portnoy wrote them. 05. Vacant - the song itself is very short (less than 3:00). Lyrics talk about a depressed woman who feels a "vacant heart" and the man who expresses this doesn't know how to help. 06. Steram Of Consciousness - instrumental. 07. In The Name Of God - talks about what people do in the name of God, such as killing, etc. Very deep lyrics. // 10

Overall Impression: It is the only "whole progressive metal" album these guys came up with. I really like the whole album, I think that the only "not-impressive" song in the album is "Vacant". I love all the album in every aspect, from riffs to lyrics, from virtuosity to instrumental sections. If this album was stolen or lost, I would inmediately buy it again and an extra copy just in case. // 10

Train Of Thought Reviewed by: ArcticSpektre, on october 11, 2004

Sound: This album is one of the best DT has ever produced, sound is perfect: Guitars and keys perfectly harmonized, voice is high and present, drums are to fu--ing apocalyptic to be true (probably because of Portnoy's infamous "Siamese Monster")and the bass provides the beautiful sound of the finger-picked 6-string that is now one the most important trademarks of Dream Theater, apart from supreme musicianship and the "out-of-the-ordinary-and-completely-impossible-to-perfectly-tab" solos. The album delivers 6 ass-kickers, and one track that could have been merged (well it's actually the case but they probably thought we might like to skip it) with the 11-minute instrumental. Those 6 1/2 tracks deserve a track-by-track description, as each is a little story all by itself. 01. As I Am - opening with a sample that DT fans will recognize as the inverted endlessly-fading strings that ended "6DOIT", this song became the radio-friendly track of the album. The track might be somewhat linked with the eighth movement of "6DOIT", as the latter talked of someone being sad about his self, then we talked about the complete opposite. Anyway, the track perfectly announces the mood of the album, with the extremely down-tuned guitars (6-stringer, C Tuning) and with quite a delectable solo. In fact, the whole set of solos on this album is three steps over anything ever made by DT. 02. This Dying Soul - "The Glass Prison" anyone? Well, yeah, this track is the 2nd part of Portnoy's "Alcholics Anonymus Recovery Steps" saga, covering steps 4 and 5 of the process. It starts with the fast drums, little (that could be heavily argued) guitar/keys solo. Then we go to a clean spot that imposes calm after that "rush-and-strike" intro. The rest is again, riffs so heavy it might actually kill you (some of those being ripped off "Prison" and 1994's "The Mirror") and the easy solos. 03. Endless Sacrifice - every band has this very song that eventually becomes one of the "crowd-pleaser" because of its outrageous headbanging prospects and "easy-to-remember-even-when-drunk" choruses. "Sacrifice", the song you need to listen up to 2 minutes before realizing that it will actually become your favorite. This song could actually be compared to "FII" "Peruvian Skies". Mellow verses, harder choruses and the crazy ending part. 04. Honor Thy Father - the first 30-seconds of that track are enough to declare that this one is a huge solo with lyrics. Play that fast shit, we need those kind of tracks sometimes. What can I say? It bears incredible solos and fast drums, but I think you start to get the picture. 05, 06. Vacant & Stream Of Conciousness - now this song is special, because "Stream" actually was the first track leaked by the band, but not in the form we usually use. Instead, we had John's riffage and Jordan's sounds, and we had to build our own track based on those infos. It was a real contest, the winner basically won an upgraded version of the platinum ticket packages for the Train Of Thought 2004 World Tour, and had his song played as background music before each show of the tour. "Vacant" features a melodramatic cello, only to bring us the piece of whup-ass that "Stream" is. An 11-minute instrumental that is actually more of a 11-minute drum/bass/keys/guitar jam. But I might be wrong on that one. I'm not an expert. Still, the track kicks some serious ass, but nothing compared to the "piece-de-rsistance" that the next track is. 07. In The Name Of God - In The Name Of John? I've already heard people who were still trying to find "the" track that would justify John P.'s presence at the '00 G3. Being a DT fan, I had the tracklist to justify this participation, but "In The Name Of God" takes the cake. John might not play on two guitars at the same time, and he might not do all the tricks we might expect from Malmsteen or Michael Angelo, but seriously. Have you ever heard a better sounding solo? When I spoke of the "impossible-to-perfectly-tab" solos, I talked about this one. Of course, some dumbasses in their basement might say "Come on! It's only hammers and pull-offs." Alright. Do it right now, on the spot. And don't forget to combine the sweeping part. // 10

Lyrics: James LaBrie sounds better than ever, lyrics are deep and rich in emotions, talking about harsh realities such as religion-fueled killers, alcoholism and divorce. Petrucci and Portnoy are really delivering some high writing skills (Like they always did, but still.) // 10

Overall Impression: Nothing compared to anything Dream Theater has ever done before, "Train Of Thought" really brings us to the point we might actually start to think about the messages they are trying to communicate or about our abilities with our axe. In any case, the album is a must that is needed in a metal collection, only to say that you actually have a Dream Theater record, and that it's not "F.I.I." // 10

Train Of Thought Reviewed by: petrucci_owns86, on november 21, 2007

Sound: This is easily Dream Theater's heaviest album. All of the songs (excluding "Vacant") are full of detuned riffage and insane guitar and keyboard solos. Dream Theater plays progressive metal, but this is obviously the metal part of their music really coming through. Some of DT's heaviest songs ever recorded are on this record, such as "As I am" and "Honor Thy Father". The latter also contains the most swearing on a DT track. The album altogether is their most explicit album to date, even though it didn't get the "Parental Advisory" warning. It's still one of my favorite DT albums, simply because it shows that they can also play straight-up heavy metal. James LaBrie's voice also rarely strays into opera territory, which I think is great. Only two of the seven songs are under ten minutes in length. Overall, this is a classic DT album. // 9

Lyrics: First of all, James LaBrie rarely goes into opera mode, which is for the greater good on this kind of DT album. Also, the lyrics are very dark, and many songs contain swearing. Not like that's a bad thing! "Honor Thy Father" in particular has many swear words. It was written by Mike Portnoy, and I think I read somewhere that it's a stab at his step-father. Here's a sample lyric: "How can you ever sleep a wink at night/Pretending that everything is alright/And have the balls to blame this shit on me/Never in my life have I seen someone/So f--king blind to the damage he has done/You're the rotted root in the family tree." Here's the tracklisting: 01. As I Am - great song. The opening riff will open a can of whoop-ass on you, and the solo will make you weak in the knees. Awesome way to start an awesome album. Opens with the note played at the end of "Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" from the album of the same name. 02. This Dying Soul - amazingly heavy song. Great solo sections, great lyrics. Part II of Mike Portnoy's Alcoholic's Anonymous Suite. 03. Endless Sacrifice - starts mellow, then gets heavy. Some more great soloing work from Jordan Rudess and John Petrucci. 04. Honor Thy Father - one of my favorite songs from this album. Insane heaviness, the heaviest one on the album, one of DT's heaviest in their 22-year history. I tell you, it's heavy heavy heavy! The most swearing on a DT song. Godly keyboard solos from Rudess, surprisingly short guitar solos from Petrucci. Overall, it's a crazy awesome song. 05. Vacant - not much to say about this one, it's mostly a prelude to the upcoming gem, "Stream of Consciousness". 06. Stream Of Consciousness - incredible, very lengthy instrumental. This song shows once again that Dream Theater is one of the most skilled bands out there. 07. In The Name Of God - what a beastly song! It's a political song, and it must be the heaviest political song ever recorded! It's definitely the heaviest of DT's four political songs. Crazy solo sections here, great way to end an awesome album. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is in the middle range of DT album awesomeness. I would say that albums like Six Degrees and Awake are better, but this one will satisfy all the fans that are hungry for metal. All of the songs stand out, even "Vacant", which is kind of a break before another crushing song. This album is verging on a little too heavy, because there's too much focus on heaviness, and not enough on the progressive elements. On the other hand, their follow-up album, Octavarium, covered the more progressive elements nicely. If it were lost or stolen, I would immediately buy it again. This is an essential DT album. One complaint: the songs get kind of repetitive after a while. But overall, it's a must-have for any prog-metal/Dream Theater fan. // 9

Train Of Thought Reviewed by: travislausch, on december 31, 2003

Sound: Dream Theater have always been my favourite band, and hearing their new album, I was in for a shock. Gone are the soft, pop-influenced songs that plagued their earlier releases (but mostly 1997's Falling Into Infinity), they've been replaced with hard-hitting metal tracks that will have veteran headbangers in neck braces by the time it's done. As well, guitarist John Petrucci really gets a chance to shine on this CD, with almost every track (save for "Vacant" and "Honor Thy Father") containing an epic guitar solo that sounds nearly impossible to play. // 10

Lyrics: Anger is the key this time. Though I loved the lyrical content of 1999's Metropolis Part 2: Scenes From A Memory, I always thought DT's lyrics were either too saccharin or religious for me. On T.O.T. though, DT seem to be expressing more anger, though only one song is really an angry song ("Honor Thy Father", a song about Mike Portnoy's relationship with his stepfather.). Also the album begins with DTs only anthem, "As I Am". This song's lyrics tell us not to have any preconceived notions about this album, not to take everything so seriously. "In The Name Of God" is also a lyrical highpoint, a song about religion, and how it totally screws you up! Amen To That! Anyway, lyrically, this album is better than most DT albums. // 10

Overall Impression: This has got to be the greatest album of 2003, only problem is, DT doesn't sell very many records. Come on guys, release a video for "As I Am" and let everyone see how great you are! My favourite songs on this CD are: "Endless Sacrifice" (reminds me of Metallica's "Sanitarium"), and "In The Name Of God" (the most epic of the epics, a 14 minute long ear opener!). I reccomend this album to any fan of Progressive Metal. // 10

Train Of Thought Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 08, 2004

Sound: The first album of DT I heard was Live scenes from a memory. That album blew me away, although it was a little bit cheesey. When I heard this album, I was once again swept away by the musical genius that is Dreamtheater. This album is much more heavy hitting than any of the other DT albums I have heard, but they don't lose any charm, they actually gain charm. 'As I am' is a great introduction to their new album and 6 more great songs enthrall you with the DT magic. In one word, Amazing. // 10

Lyrics: To be honest, I don't listen to lyrics. I listen out for the music, but I can say that the vocals do go well with the music. The singer has a wide range of notes and can cut through the heavy riffs and sing along to the softer clean guitar melodies. I cannot comment on the lyrics, but the vocals are top notch. // 10

Overall Impression: From what I've heard of Dream Theater, this album is easily my favorite of theirs. I loved the instrumental and 'As I am' is just a brilliant kick start to the album. It is a future classic. All the instruments are played brilliantly, and some of the solos are unbelievable! I advise any fan of DT to buy the album, and I advise fans of heavy metal to buy it too! If you don't mind long songs and keyboards, this'll make your year! // 10

Train Of Thought Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 08, 2004

Sound: Dream Theater, undoubtedly the band of intelligent music fans - the kind of music lovers who would rather use their head than their ears when interpretting music - has as usual maintained their lineage of excellent musical composition and orchestration. In this album, particularly note-worthy is the way bass has been used in a totally different context, as part of the melody itself, something that becomes obvious in In the name of God and This Dying Soul - truly, hat's off to Myung. Petrucci and Rudess as usual have lived up to their expectation. Some of the solos can even leave even the most proficient guitarists startled for a while - the sheer speed and maintaining accuracy and compositional quality at that speed will blow the minds of, if not all, most metal lovers. Sound wise, my favourite was probably Vacant. // 10

Lyrics: What more can be said about the band which owes most of its reputation to thoughtful lyrics, that involve - in direct contrast to most of current day ("weed") rock bands - a theme of the World and inspiration! I certainly found the lyrics very much inspired by the current state of affairs in our ambience - terrorism versus atheism. I personally feel In the name of God was misinterpretted by most. It is an urge to seek a mean and not head for either of the extremes - very well suited to our current World. However, amazingly the last few words spoken during the last minute of the song have not been put up in any website I have seen so far. Was their more to the song than can be heard easily? Dying Soul was simply fabulous. It has the one point for which DT is my favourite band - aversion to addiction. The second part of Glass Prison has excellent guitar works and great lyrics to inspire many of us to choose the brighter side of life - the one free from drugs and addiction. All in all, lyrics can't be better than this. My favourite for lyrics: The Dying Soul // 10

Overall Impression: Seeing what is going on around us, all thinking music lovers were looking forward to an album that would finally address global issues and not make us waste our effort and money making us listen to what they like about their local pub, or how nice it is to make love or how efficiently one can swear in a rap! Metallica continued to disappoint us when it failed to inspire its fans to world free of fanatism and war in St Anger. Most other bands don't have the sense of responsibility or courage to address two very sensitive issues - warfares for fictitious reasons and religious fanaticism - plagues of the 21st century. I was truly glad to listen to ToT and could not resist the temptation to praise DT for having been this responsible. However, songs were more generic than specific - probably the best way to handle sensitive issues! I would have certainly not been able to think of a better album than this - so time-suited that words are useless to praise it! My favourite for overall impression: In the name of God. // 10

Train Of Thought Reviewed by: PetrucciRocks, on march 26, 2004

Sound: This Dream Theater album is a far step from their progressive roots. This album is full blown ballsy metal. Of course, they don't stray from their odd time signatures, chromatic solos, and amazing musicianship. This band is quite possibly the most talented there is, considering they have some of the best musicians out there. They have a perfect sound too, and when you hear them, they're so tight the band is like one instrument. You'll hear a wide variety of music by them on previous records, but this whole record is for the people into cranking their amps to 11, hitting the drums so hard the drumheads shatter, and playing with so much balls you can almost touch the individual instruments. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are way different than any previous Dream Theater albums, and instead of dealing with how to deal with spiritual problems like "Learning to Live", or having lyrics with intense symbolism like in "Under a Glass Moon", they have simple meanings. They all fit with the songs and are hardly ever random. The singer, James LaBrie, has an extremely high range and sings with alot of power. His singing always reminded me of Bruce Dickinson of Iron Maiden. // 10

Overall Impression: This album is the heaviest I've ever heard. Heavier than any Slayer, Pantera, Opeth, and even Meshuggah album I've heard in the past. I love the fact that John Petrucci has the perfect tone. I believe he uses his signature guitars through a Mesa Boogie Road King on this album (opposed to the Mesa Boogie Mark II C+ heads he usually uses. I've played his signature guitar before, and it has the best feel when it's combined with any rectifier amp. If you love a skillful guitarist, buy this album. If you love a skillful bassist, buy this album. If you love a skillfull anything, buy this album. All the musicians in this band own everyone else. If I lost this album, I'd buy it again for 50 dollars if I had to. I'm actually seeing them this Tuesday for the second time, and I'm very happy about it. So buy this album if you like REAL music. // 10

Train Of Thought Reviewed by: LedZeppelin, on february 24, 2005

Sound: The style is mostly prog-Metal, with less progressive and more metal than DT's previous albums. Most of the songs are in Drop C, giving it a very dark and heavy feel that I love. The synth and piano riffs are generally fantastic (especially on Honor Thy Father), but can occasionally cross the line into laughable, stupid, song-ruining Bugs Bunny-esque sounds (Endless Sacrifice). Overall a great sound that can occasionally be overdone. // 10

Lyrics: Here's where DT falls short the lyrics tend to, well, suck. All the songs by James LaBrie (the singer) are cheesy and ridiculous, while As I am, In The Name of God, and Honor Thy Father (written by John Petrucci and Mike Portnoy, the guitarist and drummer) have fantastic lyrics. I don't particularly agree with parts of the message expressed by In The Name of God, but it's still one of the best songs on the album. However, take this cringe-worthy line from This Dying Soul: "Coping with this s--t at such an age/can only fill a kid with pain and rage", or another from the same song: "Living on your own at 21/Not a single care and having fun". The lyrics are just terrible. If Portnoy and Petrucci wrote all the songs, DT would have amazing lyrics. But as it stands, the ratio of good to bad is 4:7 (songs on the album). I tend to listen much more to the music. // 6

Overall Impression: Having heard only sections of other DT albums, I could probably say that I like the sound of Train of Thought better than their previous albums. However, I plan on buying Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence and Metropolis Pt. 2. Almost all the songs are great, except for Endless Sacrifice and parts of In The Name of God. I love how Stream of Consciousness molds into Vacant, producing an incredibly powerful effect. It's ironic that Stream Of Consciousness, an 11-minute song with no lyrics, can never be boring. Having said this, when combined with Vacant, its emotional impact is incredible. You can't say the same about many other bands I think "Stream" takes the cake as the best song on Train of Thought. I love nearly everything about Train of Thought, with the exception of Endless Sacrifice. For a CD with 7 tracks, having 1/7 of the album suck endlessly (no pun intended) is unfortunate. However, I don't really mind it because the rest is so fantastic. If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy it again. For metal fans, buy this album. For people looking for the more "classic" DT sound, try Awake or Metropolis Pt. 2. // 10

Train Of Thought Reviewed by: buckethead101, on july 14, 2005

Sound: It is really intense and that's how I like the sound of progressive rock (I mean progressive metal). These guys sre extremely talented. They progressed their sound. John Petrucci is really a shredhead. Mike is great at drumming. John Myung is really great at his trusty 6-string bass. Jordan Rudess does fine with his keyboard madness. I really like progresive rock but I really think of is why some people don't buy their album. How come? Listen to the guys who possess the so-called "talent." // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are great especially the ones written by John Petrucci. His lyrics are really deep. This is what I really like. I love Portnoy's lyrics to "This Dying Soul." It's f--kin' long man. James LaBrie does great in singing and his lyircs to "Vacant" is really empowering. // 8

Overall Impression: I love this album. I have a great time listening to it especially the guitar shredding. I have nothing to hate about because it is progressive rock. It's all about talent and feel. If it was lost, I will buy it again. That's all. // 10

Train Of Thought Reviewed by: Metal_Militia2, on december 15, 2005

Sound: This album has great sound quality. You can hear every instrument really well, I've heard albums where the bassist would drown out the guitarist or something like that, but in Tot you can hear everything perfectly. There are drums solos, keyboard solos, guitar solos and they all sound great. John Petrucci's solos cut through all the drums and keyboard, and I love it. // 10

Lyrics: My only complaint is that the singer sometimes sound a little queer, but he still is very talented. What's great about the lyrics is that they actually mean something, it's not just something used to take up time between solos. I'm not an expert on lyrics, but I think the Tot lyrics are great. // 10

Overall Impression: Dream Theater went from softer music like in Images and Words to some of the best metal I've ever heard. In Tot John Petrucci really shows his talent in songs like stream of consciousness and as I am, not to mention that the rest of the musicians in the band are also crazy talented. And all the heavy riffs in In the name of G-d and Honor thy Father, I just can't stop listening to this album! Do yourself a favor and buy this album, then just sit back and enjoy some of the most complex and well written songs you've ever heard. // 10

Train Of Thought Reviewed by: sturm, on december 12, 2006

Sound: I've been listening to dream theater almost exclusively for the past few months.In my opinion, they have the best instrumentals I have ever hear, blending classical routes, with metal influences and my favourite part: vocals that are not primarily screaming. John Petrucci, is unbelievable. I didn't even know it was possible to play as fast as he does. Most of their previous albums are not so much metal oriented, however, this album marked the start of their foray into metal. All their other albums were just progressive rock, which is fun to listen to, but can get a bit sickening after a couple of hours. This album is just awesome in every sense, 7 songs, 70 minutes of hard hitting metal that would have head banging veterans in neck braces is no time. There are guitar solos, drum solos, bass solos, and not the mention the keyboard solos. The best part about the guitar and keyboard is how they manage to pull of a solo together, in unison that is. Must be devilishly difficulty to coordinate as well as they do. The drummer, Mike Portnoy is incredible, the bassist, Myung, is crazy, he plays a 6 string bass! Petrucci plays a 7 string guitar for most of the album, with the occasional 6 string thrown in here and there. The first song 'As I Am' and the last song 'In The Name Of God' are my two favourites, although I do like the others as well. The two songs have insane guitar riffs, solos and stuff. // 10

Lyrics: Most of the songs are primarily instrumental, so lyrics can almost be neglected in my opinion. Anyway, from what I understand, the lyrics are about the world and corruption, and mankind's faults. A bit pessimistic, but who actually listens to a progressive metal band for lyrics anyway? // 9

Overall Impression: I really think this is the most awesome album I've listened to in a long time. Comparable to the greats. If I lost this album, it would only be because someone stole it: I would hunt the person down, throw his innards to the dogs, then buy myself another copy of the album. A must hear for anybody. // 10

Train Of Thought Reviewed by: CaptainSBDA, on june 07, 2007

Sound: The sound is obviously heavy, dark metal, the only song that truly take a break from that are "Vacant" and the instrumental "Stream Of Consciousness." This was the first DT album I ever owned, and boy was I glad I did. I love metal, and this album led me straight into the rest of DT, and I haven't looked back since. The sound is great, lots of crunchy guitars, crazy drums, and occasionaly interesting keys. A great, dark sound. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics, for the most part, are good. "As I am" has lyrics about resistance and independence, "This Dying Soul" is part of the multi-album suite about the 12 steps of AA, "Endless Sacrifice" deals with living a rockstar life away from your family and how it tears you, and "In The Name Of God" deals with using your belief to justify murder. My only nag on the lyrics, and which I heavily downgrade for, is the profanity. DT never swear, and for some reason they felt they needed to swear here. There's only three or four, but still. "As I am" and the overly dark "Honor Thy Father" suffer. "As I am" absolutely did not need it, I could think of a perfect replacement for the word that isn't even a bad word, and "Honor Thy Father" is just too dark, lashing out at an angry father. The latter has of course a great riff and the best drums on the album, but still it's too dark. Without the language, please. // 7

Overall Impression: 01. As I Am - good way to start off, sounds a lot like Metallica. Could've gone without the bad word. 02. This Dying Soul - begin the long songs! Here's a continuation of "The Glass Prison" and while it doesn't beat the prison, it still rocks. Great song. 03. Endless Sacrifice - still remains my favorite ever since I heard this disc. Starts off like a power ballad, ends with a crazy jam fest. The drum break at 8:02 amazes me every time I hear it. 04. Honor Thy Father - great metal riffs, astounding drums, but the overly dark, harsh lyrics bring this one down. This same problem happened with "Never Enough" on "Octavarium." Also, without the swearing, please. 05. Vacant - a nice, calm, serene break from the madness. 06. Stream Of Conciousness - good instrumental, too long. The instrumentation is great, but it drags on too long. 07. In The Name Of God - great song. Follows in the footsteps of "The Great Debate" off of "The Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence" as a hot-button politcal song. Nice riff, great piano ending. Overall, great album. Not DT's best, but it still rocks. After all, it is DT. // 9

Train Of Thought Reviewed by: castoo, on july 14, 2008

Sound: This is pretty heavy. This is the first Dream Theater I have, and I'm more into mainstream heavy metal (In Flames, Mudvayne). It's very good. I've been quite enlightened. It's metal, with synth/piano incorporated into it. The drumming and guitar drives the song along, but when the singing starts it takes center stage (whether you like it or not). // 9

Lyrics: The singing isn't what I'm used too. The lyrics are very serious, and Honor Thy Father is the best song I have ever heard about a stepfather. It's so far above all the crap that bands release now. As I am is good, but it's hard to tell what he's saying. In the Name of God comes across as almost cheesy. The singing on most isn't my favorite, but Honor Thy Father kicks so much ass I'm giving this a ten (he does clean singing for such having such a heavy CD). // 10

Overall Impression: I don't have any other DT albums, however I've listened to some of their other songs, and this is by far the heaviest and most aggresive. If you aren't into their cds it doesn't mean you'll hate this one. If you are a Dream Theater fan, you should like this (with a couple songs you won't like). With all the different songwriters it makes the tone of all the songs so different that it seems like they don't belong on the same cd. But find what floats your boat, all the songs are long enough that you can kill an afternoon on a single song (and their so good you listen and listen again to kill even more time). I would buy this again, easy. // 9

More Dream Theater reviews rating latest review