Do Or Die Review

9.2
 9.3
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Do Or Die Reviewed by: ripoffhitman, on july 07, 2010

Sound: An album rarely owned by fans, Do or Die includes the bands only album with Mike McColgan and one of the two albums to feature guitarist Rick Barton. These two flamboyant Oi! Rockers bring dead genre back to the minds of punk rockers, when music was about important things in life, (like drinking, friendship, and the fight for equality). The album opens with the song Cadence to Arms, based on an old Scottish song called "Scotland the Brave", which flows directly into the title song "Do or Die". Brave yourselves for an album full of strong emotion. "Memories Remain" includes a duet between who I'm guessing is the band bass player and Mike. With the acoustic boys on the docks giving pub feel to the album, (considering it was recorded in one), the album ends with Skinhead on the MTBA, a punkish cover of a Kingston Trio song. Prepare for an album that will blast your ears with raunchy vocals. PS. On a side note, the vocalist is not very good on the album, but like blues, if the music has an emotional feel and charismatic players, it doesn't matter. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are simple, but tell important morality issues commonly fought over by musicians, such as friends come first, with is shown in "Memories Remain" Never turn our backs Together through and through The times have changed, But my heart and soul's with you The true values of life and real problems such as barroom fights, not BS We hate our government issues that are only used to throw punk rockers into the spotlight. // 9

Overall Impression: This album shows a lyrical standpoint common in rock music, but not punk, with talk of Celtic Tales and traditional songs. The music shows Oi! influence all throughout the album, which is uncommon in this day and age. This album creates such a pleasant feel that once I listen to Cadence to Arms; I basically got to listen to the whole thing. I love all the songs personally, and that's no lie, (Even the light "Far Away Coast"). If someone stole this album from me, I'd find them, and beat them until they couldn't stand. Screw buying the album again, but if I had to, I would of course. // 10

More Dropkick Murphys reviews rating latest review