Desensitized Review

8.2
 8.5
 7.9
Desensitized Reviewed by: Rocker3829, on april 23, 2004

Sound: Drowning Pool is back with a new lead singer and better than ever. The guitar is by far better than DP's first effort Sinner. Cj brings out some solos on this album, though they could a little longer, but they are a big improvement over Sinner. The vocals are of course different with a new lead singer, Jason "Gong" Jones. His voice can get annoying after a while, but he brings that metal kind of voice to the band. The bass and drums on this album are solid. // 8

Lyrics: Lyrics are what rock is 95% full of, bad times and dealing with trouble and killing. They are your average lyrics, but stand out songs lyric wise are "Love and War" and "Bringing Me Down". // 8

Overall Impression: This cd did come out 2 days ago, on 4/20/04, and is pretty good. I'd buy this again if it was still $8 brand new. If it was $13 I may question it, but from what I've seen its going to stay about $10. The guitar stands out on "Love and War", "Bringing Me Down", "This Life" and "Hate". Guys, you'll like the cd cover too. Overall, good cd. // 10

Desensitized Reviewed by: ChrisW-Ness2003, on april 23, 2004

Sound: Drowning Pool have taken a more melodic approach towards their new record. Their new songs combine fantastic solos with heavy bass lines and hard drum beats; I particulary like the intro to 'Nothingness' being a drummer myself. However, there are still the heavy fast anthems which are pure Drowning Pool. Tracks like 'Hate' 'Step Up' and 'Cast Me Aside' keep up the adrenaline on the record. Tracks like 'Love and War' and 'This Life' show the more melodic side of Drowning Pool and it shows a variety of different musical techniques compared to the old record. Jason Jones voice fits very nicely into the music; whether he is yelling his head off or providing a melodic tune. // 10

Lyrics: Jason Jones obviously has been through differnt experiences than Dave so therefore has differnt idea's lyrically. 'Love and War' explains how troops have to leave their families whereas 'Step Up' tells no-one to mess with you. Overall, A nice variety of lyrics throughout the record. // 10

Overall Impression: Overall, This CD is an effective comeback for Drowning Pool. It shows off more musical talent than 'Sinner' and combines different sounding songs more. Drowning Pool made the right choice when they picked Jason as he has a very strong and flexible voice. Every track on the album is brilliant but my particular favourites are 'Love and War' and 'Cast Me Aside'. I would recommend this to anyone that likes nu-metal. R.I.P Dave! // 10

Desensitized Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 12, 2004

Sound: The sound on this album is pretty much equal to that of 'Sinner'. It seems that DP have stuck to their guns and thats not a bad thing. You can hear every note on every instrument behind Jason Jones' vocals. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album seem to be almost exactly similar to what Dave Williams( RIP) would have written, Jones tries too much to sound like Dave which is rather unfortunate because I'm sure that if he used his own voice the songs would have a little more depth. // 6

Overall Impression: Overall, I think that this album is definitely worth buying, however, if you are expecting DP to sound completely different with the new vocalist then you will be a bit let down. I would buy it if I lost it, but others may not think so. // 8

Desensitized Reviewed by: unregistered, on january 20, 2010

Sound: Powerfull Riffs to shake your fancies. Unique styles from each instrument that come together to bring out their true potential. As in Sinner, Dave Williams vocals is, or was, I should say, (bless his soul), able to yell. However with his passing due to heart disease, Jones delivers more a rugged tone. He has a way with scream, and sooth. Sounds like a smoker, but I digress. Love and War, ballad-ish. Gives even the most hardcore metal lover something to think (or cry) about. One of the magic elements about the album, is that no song has a repeated sound. Each song has it's own form of adrenaline and/or goosebump-like touch. // 7

Lyrics: Now, Drowning Pool's strong point has been with the lyrics they put into their song making. Bodies is probably the song that put them at the top of the pile, showing up in the Rambo soundtrack, and many others. The Game, has some impressive words that fit perfectly with out flaw in their verses. In this album, phrases are repeated, though not unappealing. They are repeated in many places like "Forget", "Hate" "Think" but that just adds to the intensive pound they deliver. Jones, rather than coninue Dave's route of darkness and murder, puts more of a vanity and current events emotion into it. (Album cover, showing sex appeal). Jones probably knew that these thoughts would arise about this new style, but took a chance, and so far, no one has looked down upon it. // 8

Overall Impression: Comparison: Drowning Pool has their own sound, so it's hard to compare. They have those high searing beaming guitar riffs, ("Numb") and low chilling power riffs. The guitar style they chose for this album was a plus. The drumming, fits like the first tetris piece. It's not offbeat, it's perfect, you can't mess it up, because, well, it's drowning pool. Most Impressive songs: Well, this is the opinion section. Ballad Wise, Love and War wins the gold. Adrenaline wise, Hate gives you that "punch in the face" feeling. Good song to work out to, like it pushes you to beat the body builder across the gym. Love: Intros and Outros. Either ear piercing and sudden halt, or melodic begining and fade to awesome. This album has been out for a few years, so, if you haven't listened to it, and saw the album cover at the nearby cd store, and wanted to know more about it, buy it. Hate: There isn't much to hate about it. Maybe that the songs could be a little longer? I mean 3 minutes is about an average song, but an Epic, 7 minute would leave me happy. Re-buy: If the album, AND my ipod were stolen, I would hop on iTunes, and probably only buy a few songs, not saying the others are bad, but only a few gave me the chill that only those can give me over and over. Talking about buying something else is a whole different question. If you want to buy Drowning Pool, then you better buy Drowning Pool because your not going to find something like it that will fill that crater in your heart that holds the DP. // 9

More Drowning Pool reviews rating latest review