Sinner Review

drowning pool: Sinner
Release Date: Jun 5, 2001
Label: Wind-up
Genres: Alternative Metal, Post-Grunge
This album combines Drowning Pool's serious heaviness with the energy of their live shows.
 9.6
 9.7
 9.4
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Sinner Reviewed by: unregistered, on august 30, 2006

Sound: To me, Drowning Pool is basically nothing without thier original singer. It is this album alone that has caught my attention, where as desensitized turned me away from such a promising band. The sound on this CD is like a brutal kick in the balls. C.J. is a hell of a guitar player, one of my favorites. Stevie and Mike hold really well together, some times in sync with each other. The CD does follow the nu metal mold a little with the synths, but turns away from it with a quite melodic vocal delivery from Dave Williams, who was one of the great vocalists that died way to early. // 10

Lyrics: Lyrically speaking, it sounds like Dave has suffered a hell of a lot. Most of the songs he sings with such a dark and depressed sound that is reminiscant of debut-era Jonathan Davis. Every song is has, in some way or another, a story of one of Dave's struggles. It is quite awesome, and he does vary it, so it doesnt't get boring. // 9

Overall Impression: Like I said before, after Dave died, DP just stopped appealing to me. The band has great musicianship, but noone can capture what dave had. I'm probably gonna get flamed for being so deadset on one singer, but that's how I feel. I am is about the only song that I've ever skipped, it isn't bad though. The entire album is a good listen all the way through. One of my favorite points on the album is the bass intro on Mute. it's so awesome. If it were stolen or lost, I'd murder the person that did it while playing it. // 10

More Drowning Pool reviews rating latest review