Please Come Home Review

artist: dustin kensrue date: 02/19/2009 category: compact discs
dustin kensrue: Please Come Home
Release Date: Jan 23, 2007
Label: Equal Vision
Genres: Alternative Singer/Songwriter, Contemporary Folk, Alternative Country-Rock
 Lyrics: 9.7
 9.7
 9.6
 9.8
Please Come Home Reviewed by: The-Red-Sky, on january 24, 2007

Sound: It's been in the making since the end of summer, but at long last, Thrice's voice has his debut solo acoustic CD out. There are several different styles used in the production of this CD from alternative rock to folk. Now don't be running away when I say folk cause Kensrue finds a way to make it work for him. Although you would never suspect it, this screamo/crooner has a way to make his voice match perfectly to the acoustic guitar. The acoustic guitar, organs and harmonica can bring out the best in his voice. It is VERY hard to make an acoustic record and not have several songs sound alike. Kensrue manages to pull away from this tendency and make one of the most diverse yet amazing albums ever. From the fast paced strumming of the opening track "I Knew You Before" all the way to the slow melodic "Blanket Of Ghosts," Kensrue proves once again that he can do almost anything. Although all are amazing some standout tracks for me would be "Pistol," "Please Come Home," and "Blanket Of Ghosts." However all of these could easily make my top 10 list of favourite songs from the last decade. // 10

Lyrics: Dustin managed to translate his amazing song writing ability from Thrice to his new effort. He uses a distinctly different style for song-writing however. His lyrics can bring you to a place such as a street corner where a stranger is just playing his acoustic guitar and revealing stories of his life for you. He still manages to incorporate some Christian attitudes in a few songs like "I Believe" and "Please Come Home" which retells the story of the prodigal son from the father's perspective. A song like "Blood & Wine," which could easily be a Johnny Cash song tells the story of a man subject to drug use and sinning in an up-beat "regret-nothing" tone. One of the best and most unique tracks would have to be the love song "Pistol" dedicated to Dustin's wife which brings back the musical artifact known as a harmonica. Some of the lyrics in this song just blow your mind with their intensity "You're the girl of my dreams, and a pistol it seems. Would you shoot me straight and true?" // 10

Overall Impression: Overall I am very pleased with this record. Dustin's growth through Thrice and now his solo-career are almost unbelievable. You wouldn't be able to tell it was the same person. Even his voice has improved from the early days of First Impressions EP. There is a definate "earthy" feel to his voice now which grounds him and keeps him as a solid singer. My all time favourite track off of the album is the title track "Please Come Home" which retells the prodigal son story. The transitions in this song are all amazing and showcase Dustin's voice perfectly. It's so epic without being clich. The first time I heard it, it actually made me feel for him. There's nothing I "hate" about this album but the one thing I "dislike" is its length with only 8 tracks at only 29 minutes and 39 seconds. However this could even be considered a positive thing as Dustin said he was aiming for this record to be smaller and more intimate like one of the old EPs he used to love so much. Either way this CD is extremely well done and may prove to be one of the biggest surprises this year. // 10

Please Come Home Reviewed by: nanazfynest, on february 20, 2007

Sound: This is Dustins first solo album straying far from anything that thrice has ever done. This is an all acoustic album with styles ranging from acoustic rock to folk and country (don't worry dustin makes it a lot cooler then it sounds). No two songs sound alike on this album it is verry diverse. Dustin even brings back the harmonica, witha avengance lol. Also something really cool is teppei (thrice guitarist) plays the organ on the song blanket of ghosts. The sound of this album is just incredable so I'm giving it a 10. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are where dustin has always shined and this album proves that. I don't think I have ever heard better lyrics, from the start to end this album is just amazing. lines like"I have ate your perfect body, I have drank your blessed blood" from the religious I BELEIVE show how differnt his writing style is. The music matches the lyrics perfectly and Dustin is an amazing singer. 10 for this category. // 10

Overall Impression: This album doesn't compare to any other album I've ever heard cause it's so dirrernt. My favorit songs are all of them it's impossible for me to choose one. I love everything about this album, there was one thing that I hated at firs and that is that there is only 8 songs but after awhile I realized this was a good thing cause I got into each song and can listen to the whole album and it's all killer and no filler. I've been brought up as a fighter so I would love to see someone try to steal this album they will find themselves lying in dich somewhere but if I couldnt help it I wouldn't hesitate to buy it again. // 10

Please Come Home Reviewed by: kylemain, on february 19, 2009

Sound: The sound and music is pretty general I'd say, the vocal's are more what makes it unique. But that maybe because I am not an avid listener of the folk genre. Although I found that the over all sound of the album was very enjoyable, up beat. Just a feel good album to put on and relax too. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics and vocals are really what sets this album apart from other artists and bands. Dustin writes about a quite a few topics, but I noticed rather quickly that quite a few songs were written about Dustin's wife and child. They were we'll thought out and very we'll suit the genre of music and over all feel of the album. I find Dustin to be one of the most inspiring lyricist and songwriters in a lot of the music today. I haven't heard one song so far that I didn't like the lyrics too, this album is especially no exception! // 9

Overall Impression: At first I wasn't sure what to expect about Dustin Kensrue's first solo album. I was and still am a big Thrice fan, but I wasn't entirely sure about the whole folk thing, so I picked up the album and I'm glad to say I was elegantly surprised, the album had we'll thought out lyrics about various things. It was quite obvious that a lot of the songs were about Dustin's wife and child. Although a lot different from Thrice, I found the folk styles quite enjoyable, nothing was extremely innovative, but too me it's just an overall good easy listening and fun folk album filled with a lot of emotion and well thought out lyrics. Some of my favorite songs on the album are; Consider The Ravens, Blanket of Ghosts, and Please Come Home. If it were lost or stolen I would definitely get it again, as it's just to me one of those albums you have to have in your collection. Definitely worth getting if your a Thrice fan, or just a fan of folk! // 9

Comments