Descend Into Depravity Review

8.1
 9.1
 7.1
Descend Into Depravity Reviewed by: EpiExplorer, on march 30, 2010

Sound: When I hear technical death metal, I always think of a massive blur of well-made but chaotic noise that just goes straight through my ears. Case in point: Brain Drill. For all their technical mastery of sweeps and gravity rolls, it borders on what guitarists would call 'guitar w**kery' and is quite a lot for someone to take in. However, I see this album as a slightly toned down approach, in the same way that a 50 ton weight loses 10 tons, its still very very heavy. By this I mean that Dying Fetus keep to a more riff based idea with complex fills rather than just throwing everything together in sweeps and solos. While most technical death metal doesn't really break many boundaries, save Meshuggah, Dying Fetus still throw in some pounding metal to shake anyones skeleton. Their general sound is close to Necrophagist, although rather than focus on complex time signitures and changes as well as the riffs to go with them, Dying Fetus have a more straight forward bulldozer type style to main riffs although they are heard quite a bit throughout the album. Fills, on the other hand, are monumental. Up until this record, the only few fills I'd really heard that were truly brilliant were the verse riff fill from Scar Symmetry's Holographic Universe and from Xeraths Alterra. But I think the song from this album 'Shepherds Commandment' sets the new bar for me. The band themselves are obviously no slouches: The guitarist is very good at keeping his fills and shreds to the right amount so as not to drag on something absurd, the drummer puts in his parts in all the right places and the bassist is absolutely absurd. One particular highlight is the solo from 'Your Treachery Will Die With You' which is a truly astonishing peice of neo-classical shredding. Only qualms I have with the album is the over emphasis on being 'so heavy we can blow yer head through'. But make no mistake: This isnt any cheesy deathcore band that just adds volume to all the instruments and variates between just 5 chords. While deathcore focuses on just being 'br00tal' heavy noise, Dying Fetus just throws in pure musical skill and still ends up being heavier. // 8

Lyrics: As a death metal outfit, vocals are purely growls and roars while may sound a little generic a lot of the time, still add more than detract from the album. Although as most death metal bands go, lyrics are usually very basic and don't really involve around much other than general mutilation and lots of death with shiny objects. However, 'Descend into Depravity' has a more mature look on lyrics. An example from Shepards Commandment shows: Everyone thinks like me We must be are own sheep Silence all our critics Dissent can't have a place Exile them underground The song seems to be about a silent organization that influences the ideas and the courses of the lives of humans. If anything this is more of a focus on politics and social slavery rather than the usual run-of-the-mill destructive blood letting and mass disembowlment which is commenplace in the death metal/goregrind scene. So although not groundbreaking or truly different (like Cynic with a vocoder), its a definite step up rather than going nowhere. // 6

Overall Impression: On first hearing of Dying Fetus, I thought it would be just more mind-mulching ear burning, but a lot of the time (for this album at least) its pretty organized and coherent. Of course the main reason why I like it is the huge neo-classical influence and their skill rather than the overt heaviness. I really don't see many bands falling into the same style as Dying Fetus, although bands like Necrophagist, Brain Drill, possibly Origin and not quite Meshuggah would be a close bet. I don't particularly listen to death metal constantly, its more of a few songs a day sort of thing. Mostly because, after a while, it becomes just a little overwhelming and begins to border on being noise. However, I'm undoubtedly sure that many people aren't like me at all, and do prefer this as a source and sort of music. I've listened to the album a few times now, although I don't particularly want to buy it (just cuz, I have enough death metal anyway), I do recommend it to anyone at all who prefer this sort of skullmushing death metal. Oh, and they sound nothing like Whitechapel. // 8

Descend Into Depravity Reviewed by: jon778, on march 26, 2010

Sound: While I'm not usually a big fan of death metal, Dying Fetus is definitely an exception. Even though it's their latest, it's the first I've heard from them. In other death metal-ish bands, like Whitechapel for example, they have three guitarists. DF, for this album at least, has one guitarist, one bassist, and one drummer. That's it. The sound you get from this is the same death metal sound you'd expect: all the way from thick and chunky to high pitched appregio type stuff. One of my favorite aspects is the fact the bass follows the guitar about 90% of the time, keeping up with sweep picking and all that other fancy-shmancy guitar work. The drummer here is a beast to say the least. he's pulls out some crazy drum rolls that somehow fit perfectly with the song. All in all, the guitar, bass, and vocals perfectly complement each other, none of them overpowering another. Everything is heard crystal clear. // 10

Lyrics: To be honest, I can't understand a word this guy is saying, but it sure sounds cool. I do know that his lyrics strongly deal with politics. The sound is just a low pitched growl that often sounds that it is as low as the bass. As I said earlier, the vocals complement his guitar work perfectly and plays a good part in the intense breakdowns. Sometimes, I wonder if the sounds coming out of my speakers really came from a human or not. I would think that it's too perfect to be real, but I've watched a few live performances on youtube and such, and it sounds nearly identical. // 8

Overall Impression: This is the only Dying Fetus album I have, but I'm definitely going to pick up some more in the future. Compared to other bands, in my opinion, they have a good mix of the power of death metal like Whitechapel or Necrophagist, and also of the more melodic stuff the The Black Dahlia Murder at times. After listening to the whole thing, the songs have such a groove to them that you can't get out of your head. If someone stole it, they'd probably end up banging their head through a window or something so I'd grab while their unconscious and leave a Miley Cyrus album in its place, in hopes that they will never commit such a heinous crime again. // 10

Descend Into Depravity Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 30, 2010

Sound: I am a huge fan of death metal, and after seeing these guys live, I was eager to pick up this new album. I was not disappointed. The work that's gone into making this album is phenomenal - the sheer technicality of their work here blew me away. John Gallagher handles all of the guitar work excellently - the short solo at the end of 'Ethos of Coercion' was truly sweet - and shows how much of a talented musician he is. Sean Beasley really wowed me on bass - his sweeping and the speed that he can play at is amazing. This is the debut for new drummer Trey Williams, who I have to say is my favourite DF drummer out of all that they've had - his speed and techniques just add to the awesomeness of this album. Dying Fetus really have their own sound - I don't think I could say another band that sound like them; maybe Necrophagist whom also incorporate killer riffs with wild technicality, but the sound on Descend into Depravity is excellent. // 10

Lyrics: Although difficult to understand for many, if you really look at what these guys are singing, you'll discover that their lyrics are actually incredible; an example is from the song 'Ethos of Coercion' - "Subordinates implement, all warranted bidding Requisitions honored, securing selfish esteem Skepticism marred, fear of condemnation Persecuting the chosen, for the lack of adherence" Now you won't hear something like that from Miley Cyrus or Justin Bieber, etc. // 10

Overall Impression: I love every song on this album, but some of my favourites are 'Shepherd's Commandment', 'Your Treachery Will Die with You' and the title track 'Descend into Depravity'. This has to go down as one of my favourite death metal albums ever and I cannot wait for their next release. The only criticism that I could make would be the length - at just over 32 minutes, it's a little short, but certainly sweet. Although I enjoyed many of their past releases like 'War of Attrition' and 'Destroy the Opposition', I'd say that this is my favourite Dying Fetus album by far. // 10

Descend Into Depravity Reviewed by: Aggro, on march 30, 2010

Sound: Dying Fetus kicks ass, and this CD is another proof of it. I've noticed this CD when I saw the video to "Shepherd's commandment" on YT. My first impression after watching this video was "wow". I've watched it many times, and I couldn't get enough of this. I didn't notice any innovations thought, but one question - do they really need it? It's death metal at its best. // 10

Lyrics: Usually, I don't care about lyrics. But I like the lyrics that Dying Fetus writes. Most of their lyrics are about politics. They go very well with the riffs. Well, even with the lyrics displayed before me, I can't understand Sean's (bassist) parts (laughs). Not like I care. I love the combination of John's extremely low gutterals and Sean's middle growls. They go extremely well with each other. // 9

Overall Impression: Descend into depravity definitely goes with the whole Dying Fetus' discography. In my opinion, it doesn't beat War Of Attrition or Stop At Nothing. The best songs (in my opinion) are Your Treachery Will Die With You (nice title btw), Shepherd's Commandment, Atrocious By Nature and Ethos Of Coercion. The last song is a great choice for the ending of the album. I've listened to it almost constantly, and I never got enough of it, maybe because of the brutal ending, that left me astonished. The only thing that could get better was guitar and bass tone. I'm a fan of tones like Cannibal Corpse - Kill, Hate Eternal - The Perilous Fight, Decapitated - Organic Hallucinosis, You get the point. For the bass - it's muted way too much, there's great bass shredding out there, and I barely hear it. Anyway I love this album, and I would buy it again when I would lose it. // 10

More Dying Fetus reviews rating latest review