Desperado Review

eagles: Desperado
Release Date: Apr 17, 1973
Label: Asylum
Genres: Album Rock, Country-Rock, Soft Rock, Pop/Rock
This album was simultaneously more ambitious and serious-minded than its predecessor and also slighter and less consistent.
 9.3
 8.6
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Desperado Reviewed by: Sloopy, on august 10, 2007

Sound: Desperado was a wind of things to come for the Eagles and their fans. Released in 1973, the Eagles at the time were a moderately well known group from California but after the release of Desperado their fortunes changed drastically. Filled with classics such as the title track, Outlaw Man, and Tequila Sunrise, Desperado remains a classic for the Eagles fan in all of us. Expect a good mix of country rock and blues rock. I really like the instrumental track 'Doolin'-Dalton (Intrumental)' for its quirky banjo line imitating the vocal line from the opening track of the same name. // 9

Lyrics: The Eagles have always had great rock lyrics and great voices to compliment those lyrics. The highlight of the record lyric-wise is easily 'Bitter Creek'. I just can't get enough of it's melancholy-yet happy lyrics. Don Henley and Glenn Frey really outdo themselves on this record vocal wise and it really makes Desperado the best album the Eagles made up to this point. // 9

Overall Impression: Desperado is a concept album about the "Dalton" gang of the old west and it really shows here on the record. The concept is loosely heard throughout the record, yet the songs are listenable on their own without playing the record from beginning to end, something that troubles a lot of concept recordings. The most impressive moments are easily 'Bitter Creek', 'Tequila Sunrise', and 'Desperado'. I mean where else can you get a great concept, great vocals and lyrics, from one of the highest selling artists of all time? It pains me that Desperado isn't as famous as other Eagles records (paticularily Hotel California and The Long Run) but I guess that's the case. It's a hidden gem in the Eagles catlog. // 10

More Eagles reviews rating latest review
+ Long Road Out Of Eden 8.4 02/26/2009