Death By Sexy Review

eagles of death metal: Death By Sexy
Release Date: Apr 11, 2006
Label: Downtown
Genres: Hard Rock, Garage Punk, Alternative Pop/Rock
This album sounds exactly the way God intended live rock and roll to sound: raw, sleazy, and spiffy. It's more hook laden than your old job at the bait shop. Put your dancing shoes on.
 Lyrics: 7.6
 8.4
 8.1
 8.7
Death By Sexy Reviewed by: UG Team, on june 29, 2006

Sound: With so many bands attempting to create the ultimate intellectual, philosophical, and musical opus, a miracle of nature has managed to emerge. Yes, one tongue-in-cheek band wants you to rock hard and they don't need than more than a few chords to do it. In a world where musicians love to take themselves way too seriously, the Eagles Of Death Metal's Death By Sexy proves that sometimes all you need to rock is a few chords and some trashy lyrics -- all is good fun, of course. Most notably known as Queen of the Stone Age frontman Josh Homme's side project, the EODM gathers a group of different musicians and writing styles than Homme's other band. The lineup on the second full-length CD from the EODM has Jesse The Devil Hughes reigning feverishly over the vocals and guitars, Homme in control of the drums, and a seemingly endless list of additional musicians who play various roles in the album. When you listen to Death By Sexy, you must know what you're in for. For those in search of intricate and musically complicated songs, the EODM could seem downright blasphemous. But then those people would be missing the point completely. What the band offers is, plain and simple, a good time. You can almost picture the band playing a smoky nightclub filled with people shoulder to shoulder, hopefully crying out silly, drunken utterances. Most songs are based on a series of basic chords, but what enhances these seemingly basic tunes is the charismatic delivery of the frontman. Complete with falsetto, retro mustache, and amusing delivery, Hughes sells each song in an appealingly sleazy manner. One of the best tracks on the CD is I Gotta Feeling (Just Nineteen), which does not explore any new musical territory, but it is an infectious, rocking tune. The guitar work in Death By Sexy will not likely wow any technical gurus, with songs like Keep Your Head Up sounding a lot like a Rolling Stone tune and most of the others sticking to a few chords. But every once in a while the band surprises you by breaking out an acoustic slide guitar and making you feel like you're in a juke joint. Interestingly enough, it's the three-chord songs with raw distortion packing the most punch. The acoustic songs, while unique, are just not as satisfying. While Homme is not really the focal point of the EODM, the CD does prove he is a well-rounded musician. Don't Speak (I Came To Make A Bang!) gives Homme to show he's good with a drum kit, particularly in the breakdown featured mid-song. As fun as Death By Sexy is, there are a few lackluster moments. The Ballad Of Queen Bee And Baby Duck is somewhat repetitive and is missing the grinding rock sound that really carries the CD. // 8

Lyrics: Before you even start the first track, you probably know what you're in for lyric-wise with a CD title like Death By Sexy. When considering what this band is going for, the lyrics suit them perfectly. The point is extremely clear and to the point: Hughes is a bad, bad boy and he's on the prowl. The opening track I Want You So Hard sets the tone for the rest of Death By Sexy right off the bat. Hughes sings, I want you so hard; I want you so good; But can you trust me? Yes you know you could. The lyrics are what they are, and it's almost silly to probe them too deeply. The same sexy theme colors I Gotta Feeling (Just Nineteen). Hughes explains, Now look it baby, you're just nineteen; I got the flesh and I will make you scream; Ohhh. These kinds of lyrics would be achingly bad if sung by any other band. But EODM evokes a smile with each line and the band deserves a big hand for that fact. // 8

Overall Impression: The Eagles Of Death Metal are a refreshing change to the bands that simply refuse to have a sense of humor these days. Will EODM change the face of rock? Will the band's compositions unearth a new, revolutionary style of music? Well, no. But Death By Sexy combines humor, catchy rock, and an escape to a trashier time and place. It's a fun trip and highly recommended. The CD loses momentum a few times, but if the intriguing EODM were to perform these same less-than-great tunes at a live show, the last phrase would probably be thrown on the window. This band is undoubtedly entertaining in person and have you laughing all the while. The three chords. The sex. The mustache. What a genius combination. // 9

Death By Sexy Reviewed by: ianl, on may 15, 2006

Sound: The Eagles of Death Metal are a good time rock and roll band that make music which rocks but that you can also dance to. They are fronted by the man with the moustache, Jesse 'Boots Electric' Hughes with Josh 'baby duck' Homme (Q.O.T.S.A, Kyuss) on the drums. Death by sexy is their second album and the sound is much like their first album, but only with more developed songs. This album features bass (unlike the previous one). // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics in this are very sexy. J. Hughes sings in falsetto for most of the album. The lyrics mainly focus on sex, women, the devil and how good the band are (on solid gold). The singing style and the lyrics match the music very well. // 8

Overall Impression: The best songs on this album are I want you so hard (boys bad news), I got a feelin (just 19), Cherry Cola, I like to move in the night, Don't Speak (I came to make a BANG), and Poor doggie, although all the songs are awesome. I really like the singing on this album, and the music. Even the songs I didn't like at first (bag o'miracles, the ballad of Queen bee and baby duck) have grown on me. If this album where stolen from me I would hunt down the thief and rip out his/her eyes and feed them to him/her. // 9

Death By Sexy Reviewed by: jenkins3303, on may 24, 2007

Sound: With out a doubt, they sound unmistakedly like Queens Of The Stone Age. Most likely because they are comprised of memeber of Queens Of The Stone Age. They have a humorousness about them that just makes you think, wo, these guys are awesome. The guitar playing is nice and sound great mixed in with the bass. It Always sounds fantastic despite the clear influence of yet another great and very very well know band, Queens Of The Stone Age. The Style of this band is clearly a mixture of Rock and SOmething you can't out your finger on, making the amazing! // 8

Lyrics: The lead singers voice, like I said before, Is obviously "Queens Of The Stone Age" I personally think they should change the Singing Style, just to distinguish themselves from QOTSA. Though it does sound great. All of the lyrics are great, they are meaningful, yet humorous. They distincly have a song style used consistently throughout the entire CD, but it still could be changed a little bit to kind of personalize themselve, and Distinguish themselves from other bands. // 7

Overall Impression: It sounds amazing with the Chromatics and such. Awesome album, recomended to anyone! // 8

Death By Sexy Reviewed by: Trip272, on april 21, 2006

Sound: Death By Sexy is the Sophomore album by The Eagles Of Death Metal. The Eagles Of Death Metal was the brain child of hard rocker Josh Homme of The Queens Of The Stoneage, and good friend Jesse 'The Devil' Hughes. Two years after their debut album "Peace, Love, And Death Metal" comes "Death By Sexy," a solid follow-up that catches you off guard with catchy melodies and energetic sound. Songs like "I Like To Move In The Night" and "I Gotta Feeling" will be stuck in your head for days. The edgy guitars, stripper beats, and falsetto vocals might seem strange to new listeners, but for anyone who heard 'Peace, Love, And Death Metal' it will be all too familiar. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on 'Death By Sexy' are exactly what you would expect from a band with a name like "The Eagles Of Death Metal." Lyrics like "You can be my sugar, be my Cherry Cola" and "I like to stroll yes I take my time, and when the womens come dancin' yes I make them mine" are silly and fun but fail to be much more than that. Jesse 'The Devil' Hughes vocal's are nothing less than great. With his perfectly placed oh's and yeah's he adds an energy to the songs that most bands today severely lack. // 7

Overall Impression: 'Death By Sexy' is overall a more polished record than 'Peace, Love, And Death Metal', and certainly does not disappoint. You are sure to fall in love with some songs if not the whole album. 'Death By Sexy' is a surprisingly fun record that will keep you dancing and singing along for a while, but if you are looking for a record that will change your life, look elsewhere. // 8

Death By Sexy Reviewed by: Godzilla1969, on april 24, 2006

Sound: This time out, Josh Homme's Eagles Of Death Metal expand upon their distinctive raunchy, rockabilly sound, only now with more developed songs. It certainly isn't a huge departure from the last album, but that isn't a bad thing; Peace Love Death Metal was one of my favorite CD's of 2004. Also, the incredible Homme provides the bass on this album, something that wasn't often featured in their debut. The Eagles definately avoid the sophmore slump with their brilliantly titles "Death By Sexy." // 9

Lyrics: Not unlike in their debut, singer Jesse Hughes sings in his falsetto for most of the album, and it sounds great. Most of the lyrics once again deal with women, money, and the devil, which contributes to their wonderfully sleazy image. This combined with the frantic, fuzzy guitars and plain old Rock and Roll drumbeats makes for perfect music to play at a party (or a strip club, for that matter). Hughes' voice suits the music just fine, though the incessantly raunchy lyrics do begin to get exhausting after a while. // 8

Overall Impression: It is a tough call between this album and "Peace Love Death Metal," but these songs are slightly more advanced and structured (though they do manage to keep their sloppy charm throughout the CD), so I would have to say that "Death By Sexy" wins narrowly. The upbeat party jams of "Cherry Cola," "I Gotta Feelin'," "Solid Gold" and "I Want You So Hard" prove to be the standout tracks on this effort, though all the songs provide a fun, easy listen. I love the upbeat, classic rock and roll sound, but the short length and sometimes too sloppy guitar solos sometimes take away from this album's quality. Nevertheless, this is an original, excellent album, and there is something in it for everyone. // 8

More Eagles Of Death Metal reviews rating latest review