The Mother, The Mechanic, And The Path Review

early november: The Mother, The Mechanic, And The Path
Release Date: Jul 11, 2006
Label: Drive-Thru
Genres: Indie Rock, Emo
With the ambitious triple-disc endeavor of The Mother, The Mechanic And The Path, the Early November have either made or broken their career.
 9.4
 9.8
The Mother, The Mechanic, And The Path Reviewed by: unregistered, on july 19, 2006

Sound: A giant step forward for the emo/indie band whose last album "The Room's Too Cold" in 2003 was more of an appetizer. For fans like me who've waited three years for another album, it was worth the wait. Enders' visionary 46 track saga spans three discs and tells the story of a boy, with an extremely overbaring father, growing up and leaving home. When he has his own kid, he swears to be nothing like his father, but eventually falls into the hole. Listen to it more than once, and make sure to listen with headphones. It's a whole different experience. // 9

Lyrics: Ace Enders is seriously one of the best singers of his genre. Not only can he write meaningful, and sometimes, inspiring lyrics. He conveys them with all of the emotion that they are supposed to instill. The song "Little Black Heart" 'It's my life. I might as well live it. Along with the bad times. Just happy to be living.' // 10

Overall Impression: Combine the impressive, full-on indie rock of the Mother, with the stripped down, blues feel of the Mechanic and the 'not-quite' rock-opera of the path and you get a concept album that takes you on an amazing journey into the psyche of a broken man. Akin to some of the concept albums of the '70s (now I'm not comparing The Early November to, say, Pink Floyd. But still it's a great album and worth a listen). // 10

The Mother, The Mechanic, And The Path Reviewed by: Johan_P, on november 02, 2006

Sound: With a rather more pop-influenced then emo-influenced sound, Early November made The Mother, the Mechanic and the Path. It's a quite album different compared to their older works, and you can hear quite a lot of sides of the bands musical styles, listening trough the 46 tracks, you'll notice trough these. The album isn't "emo" at all, it's more of an alternative/indie-album, and Early November shows that they've grown a bit. The problem I find with this album is that there isn't any song that stands out (notice, the whole CD3 stands out, but I'm thinking of tracks in CD1 and CD2). In "For all of This" there's "We Write the Wrong", and in "The Room's too Cold" there's "Something That Produces Results," but in this album, I can't find any particullary track that I like the most, everyone's in a "standard" with nothing that stands out, atleast for me. // 8

Lyrics: Ace have done a great job writing and performing these tracks. The story that your being told trough-out the album, is amazing - be sure to listen trough it! I like that they piched down the tellers voice, great addition to the album, and it certainly brings a better atmosphere. // 8

Overall Impression: The first CD delivers a upbeat and more full-on pop/indie sound then the two following, as they completes the 3-disk album with a more bluesy feel. The last CD is about a boys life from his youth to becomming an grown-up. He swore that he wouldn't become as his father, but kind of fell into the trap. I almost want to say that the last CD is the best of them, but comparing them the same was is not the best way of reviewing this CD, I think. So, all CD's are great, but my favourite is the last one, yet, I still like the other two as well. The first CD is the most easy-listned. // 9

More Early November reviews rating latest review