Angels Of Darkness, Demons Of Light I Review

Label: Southern Lord Records
 9.2
 9.3
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
Angels Of Darkness, Demons Of Light I Reviewed by: TwistClock, on september 12, 2011

Sound: Earth; A once droning, distorted concoction of guitar sounds aggressively shouting into your ears, over the past few years has turned into something completely different. The Transition has taken a long time; spanning a couple albums all changing and being manipulated by the band members with some sort of OCD when it comes to creating a vivid landscape of sounds blissfully twisting and complimenting each other in some fantastical way. And it's been like that for a couple albums, each sounding different to the last, each painting a different picture in the listeners mind and leaving a different imprint every time. But to keep it simple, the change has gone from drone to western, which is almost immediately shown in the opener, "Old Black". As the Cellos silently bring up the foreground, the guitars move along in typical Earth fashion. Heavy in composure and sound akin to the sounds of Hex: and Bees. There seems like there could be a story here; probably a man riding through a desert on a horse against a shimmering sun shining in the sky. This is something you'd hear an old man listen to in the west, Whiskey in one hand, sitting on a chair outside of a saloon. Don't mind me; the music this album contains really evokes these little images, which is part of its lasting charm and impression it gave me. // 9

Lyrics: Fully instrumental, there are no lyrics to overburden the music. Its strength lies in the atmosphere and guitar work. Lyrics would be interesting but I don't think they are required; I don't think lyrics would do the music much justice to be quite honest, but others may think differently; Some people I get to listen to this album or, usually 'Bees', seem to not be able to sit still when listening to it and end up getting a little bored, especially in "Angels of Darkness, Demons of Light 1" which is 20 minutes. Three songs break the 10 minute barrier; if you like your songs quick and to the point, you will not find much here to listen to. However, if you like your songs long to give you time to really immerse yourself into the atmosphere before it all changes completely, then Earth is going to be your favourite band. (Assuming you haven't heard them before.) // 9

Overall Impression: I can't really make it clear enough. This Album is Nostalgic, filled with infinite Melancholy and increasingly Sentimental. Earth is a favourite band of mine; I have almost every album they own and they are frequently played loud, in the dark, at night; extremely reflective. This album quickly became one of my favourites when I picked it up off of "Southern Lord", and it's spun frequently. I hold this album at such a high regard that if somebody was to steal it or if I would lose it (which I wouldn't, it's like a child to me), I would have to buy another. The album is quite small in regards to the number of songs, but of the five songs I would have to choose "Old Black" as the best of the album. It really is a fine, fine track and a perfect homage to the melancholy of the old west. If you enjoy this album the next to pick up would be "Hex; Or Printing in the Infernal Method" and "The Bees Made Honey in the Lions Skull". Earth is one of a kind. If you like your songs long, reflective, and constantly interesting, pick this up. // 9

More Earth reviews rating latest review
+ Primitive And Deadly 8.9 09/12/2014