White Rabbit Review

egypt central: White Rabbit
Released: May 31, 2011
Genre: Post-Grunge, Alternative Rock, Hard Rock
Label: Fat Lady Music/ILG
Egypt Central's "White Rabbit" takes a more mature form from what we found on the first album. Very radio friendly, easy to listen to alternative rock songs.
 Lyrics: 7.5
 7.9
 7.4
 8.4
White Rabbit Reviewed by: callumfrew97, on february 11, 2013

Sound: [Firstly, I just want to say sorry for any slight bias in this as I have been a fan of Egypt Central since they first started, and I seriously recommend you listen to both of their albums they have released: "White Rabbit", and "Egypt Central".] My first impression of the album is that it was just like any other album from any other, but listening to it more I realised that it's actually an amazing album. The album contains a range of style of play, for example their song "Ghost Town" is quite heavy at the chorus compared to their other songs on the album, whereas the song "Backfire" is acoustic based and slower with a more peaceful touch to it. This album contains numerous genres of rock: Post-grunge; alternative metal; hard rock and punk rock. The album can really appeal to a wide spectrum of rock fans! It really contains music you can either chill out to or rock out to. // 8

Lyrics: About the lyrics, a lot of their songs are very meaningful in this album. Some of their songs such as "The Drug" and "The Enemy Inside" are about a man addicted to drugs as it slowly eats away his life... Also, the singer, John Falls, actually has an amazing voice for their style of play, which can be quite hard to find a band that has a perfect match between their singer and their style of play. The lyrics comply really well with the music, as they match the chord progressions and occasional tremolo picking styles of play and picking really well with the mood of the lyrics. The songs ALL have great guitar playing to go with the lyrics. As mentioned before, the singer has a very good voice and high skill level for the songs that are on the album. // 9

Overall Impression: Compared to other artists, I highly recommend this album. In a list of other artists, give or take a few, I would most likely pick this album to buy over the others. After listening thoroughly through this album, I consider the best songs to be: "Goodnight", "The Enemy Inside" and "Dying To Leave", as these three songs contain choruses that really step their songs up to the next level. The choruses are quite catchy, and their songs are about novice/intermediate level of playing, thus being rather fun to learn too. In general, I love this album and there is nothing negative I can find about it, other than the fact it's only 43 minutes long. The only thing I would like to change about this album is if they added a few more songs similar to those already in, to make it a bit longer. Thank you for reading.

// 9

White Rabbit Reviewed by: Slayton101, on july 20, 2011

Sound: Fans of the original Egypt Central CD have long awaited a follow up. Their call was kindly answered in May of this year. Egypt Central's "White Rabbit" takes a more mature form from what we found on the first album. Notably the Vocals have developed further, and guitar gets a bit more into the dirt this time around. There is nothing ground breaking here though, in fact, I feel here that they have taken their style and fused it with an Adema or Sum 41 sound. Only two songs surpass 4 minutes, and they barely make the cut. What we have is mainstream, radio friendly alternative music. That isn't to say though that this CD doesn't have some songs that will really hook you in. // 6

Lyrics: Simple is the name of the game with this band with the lyrics. A lot of lyrics are sadly cliche at times. Songs like "Goodnight" run wild with them. However, if you're looking for an improvement in vocal tone, then you will be in for a treat. While there is a heavy dependency on a slight chorus from the lead singer, the overall result has been a thicker tone. The singer has hands done a better job of settling on a sound, as on the first CD he seemed to have trouble keeping his tone stable. Unfortunately, in the terms of lyrics, this CD is nothing special. // 6

Overall Impression: This reminds me a lot of "Kill The Headlights" by Adema. Very radio friendly, easy to listen to alternative rock songs. If you're already a fan of Egypt Central, you will enjoy this CD. Songs like "White Rabbit" and "Ghost Town" are songs that will have you coming back for more. Overall though, the CD felt like a 1 year project at best, and it's obvious that this wasn't the product of 5 years of effort as they say it was. One thing I really thought was poorly done that stood out was track 11 and track 12, are in the same key and same timing just radically different tempos. Leaving you with a bad taste in your mouth as it ends, and wishing there was one more track on this CD. Long story short; average CD from a band with a lot of potential. // 6

More Egypt Central reviews rating latest review