Eighteen Visions Review

Release Date: Jul 18, 2006
Label: Epic/Trustkill
Genres: Alternative Metal, Post-Hardcore, Thrash
Eighteen Visions Reviewed by: sixteen_12, on august 17, 2006

Sound: Eighteen Visions signed with a major label, Epic, for this CD. Although they maintain the Trustkill logo on the back of the cd. Weither for street-cred or just because Trustkill still maintains some rights to the production of the CD. I'm not sure. The CD is a polished version of what they have been producing for years. You can hear the fact that the CD was produced well. It forced the band to be tighter and musically more accurate without taking all the edge off. It was well done, especially for a first major label release. If you've like Eighteen Visions past records, there is no reason you shouldn't like this one. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are at points but show a lot of emotion. Not in an "emo-cut your wrist" sense, but in an "I've been through that crap before" way. The album does have weak spots as far as lyrics go, but it also has really strong points. Overall the lyrics are consistantly really strong, save the odd blip here and there. My favourite songs are Victim, Broken Hearted, Another Pretty Suicide, Sweetest Memory. // 8

Overall Impression: Eighteen Visions takes new metalcore and mixes it with the metal-rock ballads of yesteryear. Their songs have some similarities to Velvet Revolver, Guns N' Roses, Avenged Sevenfold (post City Of Evil). If I lost this album I would go out and buy it again. I highly suggest this album to anybody who liked Eighteen Visions before, are looking for a change from typical Metalcore, or like City Of Evil. // 9

Eighteen Visions Reviewed by: the_messenger66, on july 10, 2008

Sound: "Big songs, big sound, you know I kept saying to the band, make it so big, just, f--k it." That was Machine's (their producer) main advice for Eighteen Visions's final, self-titled album. And sure enough 18V took to it like sparks to gasoline and ignited into which is probably the best album the ever spawned. The sound quality of this album took a major turn away from the road in how they sounded in their last previous records. The Drums are more groove orientated and I think flow better with the guitars. Trevor decided to use the same snare as the on Metallica's, "The Black Album," and recorded the drums separately from the symbols. This time 18V has two guitarists instead of just one in earlier works. So instead of mostly chords, they have harmony riffs, layered chords, and just more riffs. The Bass has more of a synth tone to it, but still retains it's "ballsy" menace. "It's getting to the point where people... just want rock and roll back," said bassist Mick Morris when discussing their album's intentions, "they just want aggressive rock n' roll, not like any of this hipster, cheesy, f*cking bands that sound like the Rolling Stones, like 'I'd rather just listen to the Rolling Stones' you know. People just want something real and something to rock their asses off." And unlike the slightly repetitive, "Obsession" album, every song has a different feel to it. From 'Our Darkest Days' anthem like beat, to 'Victim's hard rock, to 'Broken Hearted's pulsing ballad, to 'Your Nightmare's grooving rhythm. Each song brings something different to the table. // 10

Lyrics: "Vocally I'm just in a completely different place then I was two and a half years ago," James Hart explained while preparing to record vocals, "I feel more polished and accomplished knowing my voice better and just like, being able to execute and push myself a little further and do, and you know, being able to hit different notes than on the last record." James's singing talent came out very nicely, ranging from a softhearted sing to a roaring yell (with seemed to be southern accented). And the lyrics are more profound, better describing the issues brought up on the album. Unfortunately, they aren't amazing, but they are better than before for sure. // 8

Overall Impression: Album's usually change pace when signing onto a major label, and 18V is no exception. It's more Epic, more creative, and brings a different tone onto the field. Unfortunately, due to lack of promotion, the album fared badly with sales, and the band decided to call it quits afterwards. But nevertheless, this album is worth checking out. I'd have to say the most impressive songs on this album are 'Our Darkest Days', 'Burned Us Alive', 'Pretty Suicide', and 'Broken Hearted'. If it was lost or stolen, well, my mom sold it to Half Price Books for "parental advisory" reasons, but I did manage to get my hands on another copy, and I'm glad I did. // 10

More Eighteen Visions reviews rating latest review