The American Adventure Review

electric soft parade: The American Adventure
Release Date: Oct 28, 2003
Label: BMG International
Genres: Britpop, Neo-Psychedelia
Surely it is time for the kind of American Adventure that involves a stage near us, and pronto.
 8.9
 9.7
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
The American Adventure Reviewed by: Glory_Box, on september 30, 2006

Sound: With a new Electric Soft Parade Album due out in the coming months, I thought I'd try and stir up a little interest in a band that should be bigger than it is. The Electric Soft Parade is made up of the White brothers, Tom and Alex (who are also in The Rakes) and hail from Brighton. Their first album was released in 2002, and received critical success, including a Mercury Music Prize nomination. This, their follow up second album, consists of less tracks, but in my opinion better overall songs. The sound of the band is simply amazing, with layers of sound build up over the songs, especially coming through in the middle section of 'Chaos'. The title track really stands out, as it contains numerous musical styles that seem to blend perfectly into each other. By simply looking at the sheer amounts of instruments listed in the CD booklet, it can be seen how ESP manage to make such amazing sounds. From the slow numbers such as 'The Wrongest Thing In Town' to hard hitting guitar tracks such as 'Lights Out' and 'Headacheville', the sounds on this album are truly amazing. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on The American Adventure seem to be about these two Brighton boys finding themselves in their new world. A sample lyric from the end track 'Existing' shows this perfectly: What have I done wrong now?/I've made up my mind./Existing is easy,/Living is hard./ With so much contradiction,/I want someone to believe in. Tom and Alex's harmonies and vocals fit in perfectly with the music. Whatever musical style they decide to play in, they can find the vocal melody and style to fit. Flawless. // 9

Overall Impression: In my opinion the Electric Soft Parade are one of the best bands producing music at the moment, and it saddens me that they do not get as much attention as some of the mediocre bands receiving airplay. Both this and their debut album (and also the Human Body EP released in late 2005) show two boys creating amazing music. For me, the best songs on this album, if I had to chose, would be 'Bruxellisataion', 'Chaos' and 'The American Adventure', yet nearly all the songs could be in that top 3. If it were stolen, I'd hate the one who took it, and go and buy a new copy straight away. The American Adventure is a quality album by a quality band who deserve to have far more popularity. Hopefully album number three will contribute to bigger success. // 10

More Electric Soft Parade reviews rating latest review