Dopethrone Review

electric wizard: Dopethrone
Release Date: Nov 28, 2000
Label: Music Cartel
Genres: Heavy Metal, Alternative Metal, Stoner Metal, Doom Metal
With Dopethrone, Electric Wizard has raised the bar for doom metal achievement in the new millennium, good luck to the competition.
 Lyrics: 8.3
 9.1
 9.2
 8.9
Dopethrone Reviewed by: jerbal, on january 08, 2008

Sound: All of hell agrees, Dopethrone is an aural masterpiece. Tone wise especially, for all guitarist's of the Iommi persuasion. They should allready know this. These boys claim to use only the most high quality tube amps ever made, and that's quite a claim. They use an enormous amount of distortion and an equally enourmous emount of effects. Tuned to a deep drone of C# or C, they play no games. All in all the guitar is ultra heavy and crushing. Mixed to perfection with everything feeling right in it's place and sounding exactly how it should, this should be a benchmark for soundsman every where. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are pessimistic in nature, relating to drugs, destruction, paranoia and all occult. They also aim to be horrific. Though Electric Wizard seem like they don't want the lyrics to be lyrics in the conventional sense, they are mixed in such away that they seem like just another instrument adding to the cocoughany that is the Wizard. It is simply just another layer, and that is brilliant. Sometimes seeming in-audible mixing in with the base or guitars. // 10

Overall Impression: Dopethrone. Just the name wreaks of drugs, doom, dark and headbanging goodness. Then you break the plastic wrapper and ram it into your computer, joint in hand, and let Vinum Sabbathi start you on the long trip that culminates in the final Iron Man-esque riff of the titel track 'Dopethrone'. It is all I wanted in doom and made me run into the pits of doom, searching for the likes of Sleep and Rev Bizarre, and ultimatley forge a band of our own. It is an experience hard to describe in words, but these words come to mind: darkness, sweat, smoke, acid, tube-amp, Les Paul, SG, satan, hell, head-banging, simple and finally doom. Let this be the catalyst, keep music evil. // 10

Dopethrone Reviewed by: uduman, on june 22, 2009

Sound: I am, first and foremost, a fan of grunge music. Therefore, you can understand that with the 90's long gone, a fan of this genre can easily become bored with not much new grunge music being produced. So, having exhausted all my Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains records, I tried to search out another music genre I could enjoy as much as grunge, without the worry of running out its production any time soon. I took all the qualities of grunge that I enjoyed (the heavy gain and distortion, the deep undercurrent of rhythm, the generally pessimistic atmosphere), and settled on one genre that could possibly emulate both Soundgarden (in terms of grungey, heavy riffs) and Black Sabbath (another of my favorites, with more sludgey, detuned riffs and darker lyrics): stoner metal. This genre, however, has more than surpassed my expectations. The prime example of how stoner doom metal can be refreshing for hardcore grunge fans who are burnt out by listening to the same material over and over again is seen in Electric Wizard's "Dopethrone" album. Quite possibly some of the heaviest riffs (thanks mostly to the slow, slow, slow rhythms and C# standard and drop B tuned guitars) I've ever heard came off this album. Electric Wizard don't just carry on the Sabbath tradition; they take it further, creating out of it an even heavier, bass-ridden record the likes of mainstreamers have never heard. Ever. Even more surprising is that these sludge fanatics don't lose their talent in poor mixing and production; the instruments are all mixed well, with guitars and bass playing nearly equal roles (as I think it ought to be), and the vocals not overpowering all other instruments, a trend becoming more and more apparent in popular music. // 9

Lyrics: Not surprisingly, Electric Wizard occupy themselves with much of the same lyrical content that Sabbath did; "Funeralopolis" is comparable to "War Pigs" and "Electric Funeral" in its contempt for war and human stockpiling of weaponry, "Dopethrone" to "Sweet Leaf" in its literal worship of that certain magical plant, and "We Hate You" to "Children of the Grave" in its warning of later generations of the dangers and damage of hate. Electric Wizard also sing their lyrics in much the same way that Ozzy did his: rather unclear, muddied, but still there. As others have noted, the singer's style in Electric Wizard is truly as using his voice as an additional instrument. The eerie use of shouting and what seems to be a massive amount of distortion put on the vocals adds to the air of mysticism and darkness. However, if one does indeed listen, the lyrics coming through shine as deeply inspired by mythology, heavy metal, and, of course, marijuana. However, one should note that there is not much change in the singer's persona throughout the record; constantly, one hears a dreary, depressed individual that shouts and isn't entirely clear. While this seems that it would grow tiresome, it actually doesn't take long to like it. However, it also should be noted that for a good part of the record, the singer takes a backseat to the others and doesn't say much. No matter, what he does sing is still a good addition to the band. // 7

Overall Impression: As far as stoner music goes, I'm not sure I could judge; I've heard only a limited amount of music from the genre, from bands such as Sleep, Orange Goblin, The Sword, High on Fire, and Acid King. However, I can say that from a position as one who is generally very familiar with music and very able to hold an intelligent discussion on almost all genres, that this album is super good. Listening to this album, unlike some experiences with lesser stoner bands, does not produce the deja vu effect ("Ahh, I've already heard this...") for me. Most noticeable on the record are the songs "Funeralopolis" (with its truly great mix of the band members and the epic intro), "Barbarian" (with its demented Sabbath-esque rhythm riff), and "Dopethrone" (with the most epic, heaviest moments on the record). I can't say I dislike much about this record, but don't take it from me; I'm a grunge fanatic, who is really into superbly distorted masterpieces. Therefore, these guys are right up my alley. I would most certainly get this album again were it stolen; it's a great listen in the car, cruising at night down the highway with wind your hair. With the perfect amount of just plain sludge and doom, you can't get much better than this, in my opinion, if you're looking for the modern day Sabbath. // 9

Dopethrone Reviewed by: cobaindrix, on november 24, 2008

Sound: Heavy. So deliciously heavy! From the first few seconds of the first track, right through to the end, you are bombarded with an enourmously thick and tasty wall of bass and distortion. Not that it is a pleasant experience, it's a tough one! The first time I listened to the album all the way through, I had to stop the last track, as the atmosphere was really starting to affect me. I was paranoid, in cold sweats, feeling that impending sense of doom that the music gives off. You can definately hear some Black Sabbath in the riffs and drums. The music (provided you have a very open mind) really transports you, you can end up high or having all kinds of hellish experiences if you let the monstrous bass move you. It must be listened to at high volumes! I personally don't use dope, but sometimes it almost makes me wish I did, just to experience this music as it was intended, and how it was created. The tone of the guitars and bass is mind blowing, so rich and heavy, the sound of the guitar is like a giant, impossibly huge behemoth, made of iron and smoke, that lumbers along when it wants to, but can at any moment turn savage and brutalise the hell out of you (kind of like that monster thing on Lost). The songs themselves are loooong and drag on for ever, but yet they never seem to be long enough. I would say, in terms of shear heaviness, this sort of thing flogs death and black metal. It's a different kind of heavy, an impossibly slow, dark, twisted, Apocalyptic heavy. // 10

Lyrics: As a previous reviewer said, the lyrics and singing are used as another instrument to add to the doomy atmosphere. The lyrics are mostly incomprehensable (although well written), yet you manage to get the message of them throught the desperate way in which they are sung. A friend of mine who had a listen commented that the singing doesnt't add much and is the least-tasty part. I have to agree ever so slighty with that. // 8

Overall Impression: The stand out tracks are probably Funeralopolis and the title track Dopethrone. Funeralopolis, with it's apocalyptic lyrics and riff-tastic epicness. The first minute and thirty secconds are very subdued and calm, with the riff just floating above the ground gently, as though this enourmous, black monolithic monster is just gracefully floating, with an ominous feeling that at any moment it could land. Then, at 1:30, it does, and all hell breaks loose. The riff-monster lumbers along, uprooting everything in it's path. Great song. Dopethrone is the heaviest riff I have yet to hear! End statement From my first Electric Wizard listen, I was hooked. I was new to the extreme heavyness and doom atmosphere, and it shocked me. But strangely I kept getting drawn back to it. It has become like a drug that I can't function without. Like all hard drugs though, I imagine it would have long term side affects, so I can't listen to it for too long or I really feel quite ill. If I lost this CD, I would track it down and buy it again. // 10

More Electric Wizard reviews rating latest review