Galactic Conquest Review

5.3
 8.2
review (1) 19 comments vote for this album:
Galactic Conquest Reviewed by: UG Team, on september 19, 2007

Sound: Whatever bands do to stand out of the crowd nowadays! These four dudes from South California thought the idea about robots, galactic invasions and Milky Way is not too stale and old for a break-through. And it seems like they were quite right! Before we could even notice it, they are releasing the sophomore record, based on the same stellar idea! Galactic Conquest is the second album by Eleventyseven, the follow-up to their 2006 debut And The Land of Fake Believe. The CD turned out to be very light, delivering a happy mood in every track and the majority of the album is upbeat and danceable. Writing the album, guys tried to work on some new approaches. They used a combined total of 16 different sythns on the record to make one sound. Trying too hard they overdid it -- there are way too many electronics on the record, which leaves you wishing for more real instruments. The situation gets even worse after every next track -- the closer it gets to the end, the less guitars appear. By the last song Galaxies Collide it all gets so surreal, you just wonder why you are still listening to that. This track is a perfect reminder of German dance pop of mid-nineties. The songs are addictive and I'd say even sticky -- some primitive melody that stays in you head and bugs you all through the day. // 5

Lyrics: Even though their music might seem careless and dumb, the guys are giving a lesson with their songs. Vocalist Matt Langston claims that Most of what I say on this record, are thing that I wish someone had said to me when I was younger. As well as on their previous album, here is a ballad about God -- It's Beautiful in which Langston accepts that he is close to God. The song appears quite whining and uninteresting. Langston's voice has the same effect over his voice in every track -- exactly the one you heard in techno 10 years ago. Nothing else that I can add about his vocal abilities. // 6

Overall Impression: I guess the guys were writing the album under the influence of the first Star Wars movies -- it's filled with the same cheap computer flourishes. But unfortunately it's much more unoriginal. It's like punk-pop with the same computer effects all through the record. What is their excuse? The guys say they tried to make the music accessible to robots, droids, moms, dads, and the occasional bear trapper. Such a variety of listeners... maybe that's why it's so mediocre. The songs just keep going on the same level and I don't think the musicians manage to differ one track from another themselves. I actually was quite surprised to know this is the band's second album. Did they at least learn on the mistakes of the debut? And did sound the same? If the band is gonna keep going in the same direction, the next record will be a killer literally -- while this one almost killed me, the next one will do it for sure. // 5

- Kosh (c) 2007

More Eleventyseven reviews rating latest review
+ And The Land Of Fake Believe 9.5 06/13/2006