On The Verge Of Losing Everything [EP] Review

artist: Ella date: 11/12/2005 category: compact discs
Release Date: 2005
Genres: Melodic Metal/Hardcore
With the cult of Indie bands making it into the charts this year, Ella are just what we need to give us a well needed dose of promising hardcore music.
 9.4
 9.7
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
On The Verge Of Losing Everything [EP] Reviewed by: si_slash, on november 12, 2005

Sound: With most 'good' metal bands in the world originating from America, it seems as if there isn't much to offer from other countries. So imagine my suprise when a UK based band, who had already recieved acclaimed reviews from rock sound magazine and the UK's Radio 1 Rock Show, stepped up. Hailing from the murkey city of Bristol, England, Ella are a five piece metal band who have the capability and talent to finally give the UK a representative in the Metal scene. Their style is hard, heavy, fast, melodic and soulfull. On this CD you have 5 tracks, most of which the band will play at any of thier live shows (which I might add, get to one, they do not disappoint). This EP took best part of 2 years to finish, with many studio sessions, and various mixes being passed around. It was produced with the help of Mark Williams (fairly well known) in a london studio. The talent this band show is incredible. Ella can, and will go far with the right label and publicity. // 10

Lyrics: Ben Devereaux has this fantastic ability to deliver crushing, screaming lyrics whilst then breaking to a melodic, soulfull piece. He has an outstanding voice and a distinctly indiviual voice. The Lyrics themselves also suit the music. "Lay there with open eyes, so take them to lose them" - Magnolia. This EP demonstrates the bands abilities and talents and clearly shows they can really represent the UK and compete with the big boys. // 9

Overall Impression: As this is their first EP, it needed to be special. It needed to be something which would grab your attention and hold you through tracks 1 to 5. This EP does that. The future looks so bright for these guys. If it were lost or stolen, not only would I buy a new one, but I'd find and beat the shit out the clown who stole it. // 10

Comments