Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Review

artist: elton john date: 12/21/2010 category: compact discs
elton john: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road
Released: Oct 5, 1973
Genre: Rock, glam rock, pop, piano rock
Label: MCA Records
 9.8
 9.7
 9.8
review (1) 2 comments vote for this album:
Goodbye Yellow Brick Road Reviewed by: JuniorMints, on december 21, 2010

Sound: Obviously, in 1973, Elton John was the biggest thing since who knows what. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" certainly proved that. His previous albums, like "Honky Chateau" and "Madman Across the Water", were the kind of albums like the Beatles' "Beatles For Sale", or "Help!", done in a rush-job kind of way, and then released. "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" was an album that seemed, in a way, was his "Sgt. Pepper's". This album showed his true talent as an artist, singer and musician. The incredible glam rock that makes up this album, certainly shows Elton's true talent, and displays a man at his musical peak, a peak that would last another good two-three years to come. // 9

Lyrics: This music is certainly the epitome of "thinking outside the box" for Elton John. The music in all of these songs were pure brilliance, and he had the lyrics to back it up. Bernie Taupin's talent as a songwriter showed in this epic album. Every song was different, some told a story, and some just set the standard, again, following Lennon/McCartney. Sir Elton wasn't the only amazing and talented musician on this album, however. The back-up band consisting of Davey Johnstone, Nigel Olsson and Ray Cooper were certainly up to par with their ridiculously amazing front man. This album opens with probably the best 11 minutes and 9 seconds you'll ever spend in your life, with the opening epic "Funeral For a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding". It just gets better after that. After this, you have the bouncy, R&B inspired "Bennie and the Jets", the song that defines a pop hit. Of course, then you move on the incredible, epically brilliant title track, which leads to the mellow "This Song Has No Title". I suppose Elton decided to do a tribute to the place that this album was almost recorded, in "Jamaica Jerk Off", but who knows. After this, you have Elton and Bernie Taupin showing they can write the best breakup songs EVER, with "I've Seen that Movie Too". With the 'rockers' of the album, you have songs that are unsung, and nothing short of incredible. The bad-ass "Dirty Little Girl", and the somewhat depressing, raw story of Alice, and the hard rock in "Your Sister Can't Twist (But She Can Rock n' Roll)" and "Saturday's Alright for Fighting". Then, the album closes with a bitterly perfect song, "Harmony". // 10

Overall Impression: This album is incredible. Honestly, that's all that can be said. I could, however, be totally cliche, and say that this album was "Fantastic", but that's for 1975. "Yellow Brick Road" is a gem of an album, and, personally, one of Elton's best, if not THE best. Some other albums of his would receive the 10 rating, but this is the first one that comes to mind to earn the 10 out of 10. I don't think, musically, I would be as inspired as a musician if it weren't for Elton and his classic 70's albums. This was the first Elton album I listened in full, and, I guarantee, it holds a special place in my heart. // 10

More Elton John reviews rating latest review