Emarosa Review

6.3
 7.8
review (1) 13 comments vote for this album:
Emarosa Reviewed by: ryot44, on july 05, 2010

Sound: Emarosa's self titled debut is missing a lot of the style from their previous album "Relativity", but it still manages to be a powerful new piece. Songs such as "The Weight of Love Blinds Eyes" has breathtaking power coming from it with Jonny's amazing dynamics and range. The opener of the album, "A Toast to the Future Kids!", has a constant motion through the entire song and can fill one with adrenaline. There are a few disappointments though. Jonny has never ceased to amaze, but he does tend to outshine the rest of the band a bit. To me, this was the first album I heard Craig on that I could not focus on the instruments well enough. I also feel each instrument on this album was more written around Jonny's vocals than anything else. Their previous work had much of a metalcore sound to it, and this album lacks that a little bit. Possibly a different writing style since some of the tracks off the last CD were written before Craig was in the band, but still. A lot of the lead riffs done on the CD tend to sound the same. Some of the SONGS kind of sound the same a bit too. The musicians match the chords with the vocals well, but I don't think the band put as much thought into this album as they did their previous ones. Also, at times, Jonny's vocal range and melody can be amazing, but on this CD it gets a bit redundant, sometimes even repetitive on songs such as "The Game Played Right" and "Live It. Love It. Lust It". There are a few good songs (another "Broken vs the Way We Were Born"), but the whole CD doesn't flow together as well as "Relativity", sad to say. I think the album is definately worth a listen, but I changed my mind about buying it after I heard it. A bit disappointed. // 6

Lyrics: Jonny's lyrics and singing have always been out of this world. His lyrics and singing provide an incredible amount of soul to whatever music he may be doing. The lyrics on the CD get a bit basic from time to time, but he still manages to put each word in its proper place. Line for line, all the lyrics are set up and said where they should be said over the music. Although, after hearing his lyrics when he was in DGD, his solo album, and the last Emarosa CD, I have to say he didn't step up as hard. His words are not as epic and each song tends to talk about the same general idea. Love, yes, but the words he uses aren't as metaphorical and there's not as many memorable lines. I DO think though, the next time we hear his lyrics, he'll step up to the plate a little harder. // 7

Overall Impression: Compared to "Relativity", this album is definately not one of Emarosa's greatest work. Fans of might be a bit disappointed. You might like it. I think there will be more disappointments than anything though. This album is missing their metalcore sound and their experimental influence we're used to having with their music. I do like a total of about 5 songs, but the rest I don't care too much for. Some music I've had to listen for a bit to become impressed, but I don't feel like this CD will do it for me. Like I had said before, definately worth a listen, but I wouldn't buy it. I'd like to hear their third LP. // 6

More Emarosa reviews rating latest review
+ Versus 6.5 09/11/2014