Felony Review

Emmure: Felony
Released: Aug 18, 2009
Genre: Deathcore
Label: Victory Records
Felony is the third full-length album by deathcore band Emmure. It was released on August 18th, 2009.
 6.9
 8.5
 5.3
Felony Reviewed by: Vince0707, on september 07, 2009

Sound: Emmure's new album "Felony" has drawn a lot of chatter. I've noticed that fans have a love/hate relationship with the Connecticut based bands latest effort. If you're reading this review you most likely have heard or seen Emmure and want to know what others think about their new album. After listening to Felony over and over again, I will say that I love the album. To silence the skeptics I will admit, this album's sound has changed since Goodbye To The Gallows (their first full length). Although I think the change is minor and for the better, this albums sound incorporates other genres of metal/hardcore to give it a more full sound. Frankie, the lead vocalist's way of talking through some parts of the lyrics and switching to his famous high and low growls makes it fun to follow. I heard people criticizing this album for sounding too "nu-metal" and to them I say "You're kidding, right?" haha. Yes, I understand that a few bass lines and riffs have a nu metal feel but by all means it should not be categorized as a nu-metal album. Put it this way, if it was a "nu-metal" album then I guess we could expect their songs to be on mainstream radio, right? Personally, I like when hardcore bands do a little throw back 90's riffage, but I digress...The guitar effects are nice and crunchy and some of the lead dissonant chords have a cutting edge to them that don't even sound natural to a guitar. The rhythms are trademark Emmure, and their are tons of serious breakdowns that will make you move for sure. The kids down in the pit will find their mosh parts in every song, so no worries hardcore kids! The "sound" of Felony is a good step for Emmure and this genre in general. // 9

Lyrics: When I think of Emmure lyrics a smile always comes to my face. A lot of the lyrics deal with relationship issues and Frankie's way of putting them are great. I think a lot of people can relate, not just people who are into this genre. These relationship issues can be in context to significant others, family members, and of course enemies. The song "R2DEEPTHROAT" is rumored to be a shot back at the The Acacia Strain since apparently Emmure has been criticized with "copying" some riffs from The Acacia Strain.. "I am so flattered that you mention my name..You've been paying my bills for way too long..And I'm so happy that you just can't stop talking shit" You can look at that by thinking the more The Acacia Strain talks about Emmure, the more publicity and marketing Emmure gets. But who cares, I like both bands. Emmure's lyrics on this album fit well with their genre and the highlight for me was the lyrics to "I Thought You Met Telly And Turned Me Into Casper" which is a song about getting tested for an STD. A song theme I have not ran across until now. And just wait for the best line in "R2deepthroat"..."Ask your girl what my di@k tastes like" haha good stuff! // 7

Overall Impression: This album is all about impression. Like I said before, people seem to either love it or hate it. I'm a big Emmure fan but listen to every aspect of the "metal" community and I feel that this album separated Emmure from a lot of the bands in their genre. There is more "music" on this albums and the entire album is not just one long guitar chug. The songs "Bars in Astoria" "First Impressions" and "R2Deepthroat" really stuck out to me as great songs. Good lines, good breakdowns, and just a fun album to rock out to. If you are a fan of heavier rock stuff, I say you give Emmure's new album "Felony" a shot. // 8

Felony Reviewed by: AntonTheCrazy, on august 21, 2009

Sound: Emmure's 3rd full length release, Felony, is probably one of the best releases I have heard this year. After The Respect Issue (not very good at all) was released I thought Emmure was done with coming out with great albums. Boy was I wrong. This album catches your attention from the get go and doesn't drop you until the end. It probably has some of the catchiest riffs and vocal patterns Emmure has yet to put out. In your face crash chords, brutal breakdowns screeching vocals, awesome effects, and intense drums are found throughout the album. The production quality of this album is spectacular, you can hear every aspect perfectly and easily. // 9

Lyrics: Frankie did a great job with the lyrics/vocals on this album. The highs are as good as ever and it seems as though the lows have reached a "lower than low" status. As for lyrical themes, Emmure has done it once again in coming up with a "Kill you first ask questions later" theme. There is something new here that has really never been seen in an Emmure cd before. Singing. I'm sure fans are going to be definately split on whether or not they like this new sound for Emmure, personally, I think they used the singing sparingly and effectively, making a great CD even better. In the song "R2Deepthroat" it looks as though Emmure responded to the whole Acacia Strain "Skynet" battle. The only downside of the vocals on this album are the abundunce of spoken word, in some spots it sounds a little too much like Korn, but its tolerable. // 8

Overall Impression: This is an incredibly empowering album (definately something to listen to while working out) and has A LOT of memorable riffs and vocal sections. Some highlights of the CD are "I Thought You Met Telly and Turned Me Into Casper", "R2Deepthroat", "Bars In Astoria", and "A Lesson From Nicole" to name just a few. There honestly isn't a song on this album I don't like. The only bad part like I said before is the Korn sounding vocals, but other than that this album is a PERFECT 10. If this CD was lost or stolen I would DEFINATELY go out and purchase it again. // 10

Felony Reviewed by: Tiki Rock, on february 16, 2010

Sound: Emmure's 3rd full length album, despite the claims of others, shows a maturation of the band in the deathcore scene. The band has been criticized for stealing The Acacia Strain's sound and being unoriginal. While this may be true, that has not stopped me from listening to any of the band's early albums. However, Felony is a whole new direction for Emmure. They have established themselves as a band of their own genre. Their sound is heavy and brutal, yet unique. The major difference is the bass guitar. The bass has been cranked up, so you can hear the thick basslines in every song, complimenting the heavily distorted and downtuned guitars. The guitars have taken on a new tone, with screaming treble and ridiculously heavy lows. The drums continue to assault the listener with double bass blast beats. The songs are structured with heavy breakdowns and catchy guitar riffs. Another change is the addition of effects in the guitars, bass, and in the tracks directly. Emmure has really Right from the start with the song Sunday Bacon, you become immersed in a heavy piece of hardcore music that doesn't let up until the end. Much like previous albums, there is a cleaner and slower song in the mix (much like Rusted Over Wet Dreams and Chicago's Finest). This is Don't Be One, which stands out as almost the least hardcore track, yet is good nonetheless. // 9

Lyrics: This is where Felony sets itself apart from previous Emmure albums. Emmure has mostly came across as a deathcore band, with the screamed and growled vocals with the occassional spoken word. It has become almost leveled out, with half spoken words and half screams and growls. This is also album where Frankie, the singer, shows off his singing skills (in the track Don't Be One). While the screaming can be a little muddy and effect driven at times, it still remains talented and unique from most bands in the deathcore genre. The spoken word, howver, can be shockingly fitting and can express the anger and emotion of the lyrics better than the screaming. Not having heard a band employ this technique in almost every song, it is difficult to classify this album into one genre. The lyrics are incredible and brutal. If the pulsing instruments on Felony do not get you going, listen to the lyrics. The hatred, stress, and creativity in the album's lyrics create a hardcore atmosphere that will make anybody bang their head. Sunday Bacon, once again, and Bars in Astoris are good examples of this. On the other hand, the lyrics can be humorous. The song R2-Deepthroat compliments its name with hilarious lyrics, rumored to be a jab at The Acacia Strain, and a one liner that will keep you laughing until the song ends. // 8

Overall Impression: Although many fans of Emmure have forsaken their loyalty because of this album, Felony is a big step for Emmure as a hardcore band. They have taken their style of music to new ground and created their own genre of deathcore and hardcore. Fans of change will appreciate this step away from the alleged "TAS stolen sound" and newcomers will enjoy the unique approach the band has taken. Best tracks in my opinion are Sunday Bacon, Don't Be One, Bars in Astoria, I<3 EC2, R-Deepthroat, and Lesson From Nicole. // 9

Felony Reviewed by: blackstarf, on april 11, 2012

Sound: This album gets such a bad review, I thought that with my side I could offer something to think about. Of course I shall warn off Emmure haters from this point on cause you're just going to end up more pissed off. Also as an Emmure fan I try to be as objective as possible, and I could start off by saying as they say this is the worst of their albums, I think is the best, and I might criticise other works heavily. Here is my explanation. As hard as Emmure gets bashed by the general population (hehe) I think they're important points to be able to understand why this band is so popular. For starters... They make you move, they are simple as f--k. But I'm not here to defend Emmure. Previous works and also newer works have shown the consistency of Emmure as a band and their sound. No listener will have trouble identifying their sound. I see something important in this album, as its not really sonic or ambiental it is full of interesting sound both to please the ear and to please the feet. Here we have interesting riffs and tempos like in "I <3 EC2", "You Sunk My Battleship" and "First Impressions" and although we see a lot of that endless chugging and breakdown feel in songs like "I Thought You Met Telly And Turned Me Into Casper" we can see where Emmure put effort in songs like "don't be one". I do not suggest the music is progressive or technical at all, but really something different. // 8

Lyrics: Voice is something essential in this album. And as much sh-t as Frankie Palmeri gets, there is no denial the guy has brought innovation with the "talking" in this genre, I wouldn't dare compare it to rap. Again the guy has an incredible guttural range. There is a lot of comparisons with Limp Bizkit in this album do to all the clean vocals, but some bald decisions where taken into the making of these, and I feel this actually gives the album some vibe. And as far as the lyrics go, yes prepare yourself for some ol' girlfriend themes as well as fighting, but we can find truly outstanding lyrics like in "The Philosophy Of Time Travel" and "I <3 EC2". If your looking for simpler, more sentimental stuff definitely take a look at "Lessons From Nichole". // 9

Overall Impression: In comparison to other works and taking into account the criticism of these, I dare say this is their best album. I take into account the criticism about the monotonous riffs & chugs, and the lack of creativity. I think if we put attention into this album we can see how far from this criticisms it is. (The whole "wigger" thing is just an aesthetic). I do however know that there was terrible mistakes into the album in songs so effortless as "I Thought You Met Telly And Turned Me Into Casper", cheesy moments "You Sunk My Battleship" (Frankie's singing) and just lame engineering in vocals as well as performance in the end of "I <3 EC2" or the end of "You Sunk My Battleship". There IS depth and emotions to be found in this band people... Listen closely. I talk good about Emmure because they do deserve some attention, I'll let the shit talking to other reviews. Here is the + side of things. Porque hablo de lo bueno primero. // 8

More Emmure reviews rating latest review
+ Slave To The Game 5.9 11/26/2012