Goodbye To The Gallows Review

9.2
 9.8
 8.6
Goodbye To The Gallows Reviewed by: unregistered, on march 28, 2007

Sound: As far as metalcore fans are concerned, a lot of you would probably consider this album to be 2007's Holy Grail of metalcore. I know a lot of people associate Victory Records with shitty pop-punk, emo bands like Hawthorne Heights and such, but these guys prove that it isn't an entirely bad label (also, The Tossers are signed with Victory). Anyway, the album's sound brings to mind three great bands: The Acacia Strain, Elysia, and a little Every Time I Die (as heard on Hot Damn). The breakdowns are absolutely brutal. The vocals are perfect to go along with it. // 10

Lyrics: I haven't checked to see what some of the lyrics are, but whatever they are, they sound like they were written to go along with the playing. Their singer has both a Keith Buckley-ish voice and a scream that sounds like a better version of Elysia's(And if you've never heard of Elysia, you're missing out). Song titles can get creative(ex: "The Key to Keeping the Show Fresh is I'm Dead"). // 10

Overall Impression: The sound is reminiscent of a few other bands, but done in such a way that you forget about that and focus on just how great this band is. "10 Signs You Should Leave" will give you a general impression of the band's sound, "A Ticket To The Paralyzer" is a brutal instrumental track, and "It's Not Just a Party, It's a Funeral" is another great track. Hell, all of these songs are awesome. If The Dead Walk was 2006's most brutal album, here's an early contender for the '07 spot. If somebody stole the album from me, I'd buy a new one after I find out who stole my old copy and smash a guitar over their head. If you're looking for someone to breathe new life into metalcore, here ya go. // 10

Goodbye To The Gallows Reviewed by: speedmetal777, on january 25, 2008

Sound: Emmure is a "metalcore" band, however they kind of break the mold of mundane metalcore bands such as As I Lay Dying, Killswitch Engage, etc. The guitar is phenomenally written and perfectly layered without using the same riff at a different interval. Frankie's vocals are far from comparable, as he has wonderful range and a sound that almost no other vocalist has yet to recreate. With songs like "Rusted Over Wet Dreams", "Sleeping Princess In Devil's Castle", and "When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong", this band has created a sound almost all their own. They're by far one of my favorites. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are extremely well written. With themes ranging from ex-girlfriends to abortion (they're not supporting it), they have something going for them. Sure, some of the lyrics are somewhat similar to other "metalcore" and "deathcore" bands' rants about break-up's and hating particular women, but they pull it off. The lyrics go fairly well with the music. In "Rusted Over Wet Dreams", the lyrics and guitar work perfectly together to create an overall sad and gloomy feeling, while on "When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong", they create an angrier, violent feel. As I said before, Frankie's vocals are unique as well as great-sounding and full of talent. // 8

Overall Impression: Overall, this album is one of the best of '07 and definetly one of my favorites. The songs are altogether well written and catchy. I love the overall feeling the music presents, and also how well I can relate the lyrics to my own personal life. I can't say there's anything I hate or dislike about this album. If it were stolen or lost, I'd definetly go out and buy it again (as many times as needed). // 10

Goodbye To The Gallows Reviewed by: Spl!nTeRgu!tAr, on december 11, 2007

Sound: Emmure comes out swinging in this album. Although musically they are simple, they are one of the heaviest bands on the scene right now. This is a concept album that tells a story of someone's downfall through bad relationships, lies, and not so loyal friends. The guitars use very heavy and dissonant chords and the bass player grooves on those off-notes which make thier sound a lot different than most metalcore bands. These guys definatly have the best CD of 07. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are simply amazing. Once again it is a concept album that tells a story. The first two songs are about attempts on making life better, the middle of the CD is a reflection on why life is bad, and the end of the CD is about giving up. The last lyrics on the CD are "God, if you can hear me, open the gates" and in order to understand that last song you have to listen to the entire CD and read the lyrics as it goes along. There are also two songs that are linked. "Rusted Over Wet Dreams" has lyrics that are about missing someone and sounds like the typical sappy breakup song, that is until the end when he screams "What shall we name our dead son?". The next song is the real break up song, but it turn out an ex was carrying his baby, dumped him, aborted it, and lied the whole time. Like I said, amazing lyrical content with a lot of underlying meaning. Frank is an amazing singer and then turns around and screams his face off. Definatly deserves Revolvers top vocalist of 07. // 10

Overall Impression: I honestly can't pin point one single band that they sound like. They are metalcore for sure, but they put this certain twist on it that makes them unique. The best songs on the album are "Rusted Over Wet Dreams", "You Got A Henna Tattoo That Said Forever", and Sleeping Princess in the Devil's Castle." I haven't heard vocals match the music so well since Mudvayne came out with LD 50. If it were stolen I'd buy a new one for sure. If you are considering buying this cd, I highly recommend you do. // 10

Goodbye To The Gallows Reviewed by: YamiJoey, on march 31, 2008

Sound: The opening of the album is a simple heavy chuggy riff, with a drop from the wammy bar. Frank Palmeri shouts "Go!" and yet it still doesn't seem to start. The intro carries on, and it starts to create a definate base for the rest of the album. After another drop, and some strange effect in the background, "10 Signs You Should Leave" begins and Frank's vocals are by far the wiredest I had ever heard. He whales "You know it's all a game!" in a amazingly distressed voice, whilst a riff that's played quite high on the guitar and mixed with a bunch of opens to keep it heavy is played by both Ben Lionetti and Jesse Ketive. The drums are staggard and almost out of time, but everyone falls in line to the same, fast paced, brutal pattern, and Frank starts screaming like any true Death Metal vocalist would. Less than a minute into the song, there is yet another change in tempo and overall sound as Frank Starts to roar. The track starts drawing to a close and goes into an immensely heavy breakdown. The main riff starts, and then there's a break just before the outro, to give you that time to stand back up so they can knock you down again. There's a few dis-chords before the main riff of "When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong" kicks in. Some more are thrown in, as it starts to get more thrashy. Just over half-way into the album, there's a two-minute long (I use the term "long" very loosly) interlude of just some ambiance and a faint sound of what seems to beat a heartbeat. After this slow down, "Sleeping Princess In Devil's Castle" begins with a surprisingly light sound. however, true to form, only 25 seconds in there's some open strings played, and it's just as heavy as the rest of the album. The track keeps switching between these two completely different styles, until they are almost one. The song seems to have no point, but that doesn't really matter. It's the kind of track that you could sit and listen to whilst falling asleep, or you could play to relive some aggression. The track end to allow an immense power chord from "The Key To Keeping The Show Fresh Is... I'm Dead", a track who's title is just as strange as the song itself. Thrash riffs ensue, and after a short pause you are throw right into the middle of the track with some nice heavy guitaring, followed by some serenadial guitar work. Whilst the genre of music it could be labeled as isn't exactly new, it is definately an innovation in its own class. The music stays fresh throught the mere half-an-hour it is on, and the whole album has racked up over almost 200 listens in the very short period of time I've owned it. It is definately one of the most inovative albums I've heard in a long time. Emmure don't seem to be afraid to break boundries between musical styles, and are very confident with their talents. There are times where most bands would bust our an earaching twenty-minute long dual guitar solo, and whilst it may sound good, Emmure keep it heavy by merely changing the riff, speeding it up slightly or slowing down. This takes nothing away from the music, and definately improves the album. // 10

Lyrics: Whilst the lyrics may be difficult to hear for someone new to the 'Death Scream' style, and even quite hard to hear for those who are in this kind of band themselves, they're definately worth knowing. The opening song, the second track, begins with how this person left an ex-partner. There's a short telling of how bitter this person is, and then the lyrics begin to get twisted. The line "You ask me "when is it over?" Over? This isnt over till I say it's over." it roared, with the last part repeated many times. It's as if this person is trapping their ex-partener, or making them feel guilty for leaving them. "When Keeping It Real Goes Wrong" continues with a similar theme, of how this person has moved on. There is more insight into this relationship with the line "I give that bitch another week, before she's on her knees again with one of my friends.", which is quite obvious in itself. This is followed by "Won't you be my bride? (Another day?)" which isn't so obvious. Maybe this ex-partner was more than just that, and was in fact a fionce? The theme continues into "Rusted Over Wet Dreams", in which the lyrics are fairy general again. However, right at the end we are given more insight. "But if there's one regret we can share. What shall we name him? What shall we name our dead son?" Moving later into the album, "It's Not Just A Party, It's A Fueral" reveals it's dirty little secret right at the beginning, with the opening line "They will find my corpse on the shower floor." If you can't work that out, you probably shouldn't be reading this. The entire song has similarities to a suicide note, whilst the final song "When Everything Goes Wrong, Take The Easy Way Out" is almost a final prayer. // 10

Overall Impression: Of all of the albums I own, this definately contends to be the heaviest. For their debut studio outing, there's not much the could have done better, and many bands could learn from it. I am personally hoping that their second album, "The Respect Issue", is just as good, if not better. Whilst the whole album is nigh-flawless, the greater tracks are definately the opening few tracks. The lyrics are so powerful and the music so hard hitting. The riffs are inventive enough to be different, yet in a familliar style. This gives the album a nice base to work off, and makes it easy to access for anyone wanting to get into a heavier style of music. That's not to say it isn't as brutal as it could have been. When someone wants to hear heavy music, this is the first band I think of these days. They have replaced the more experienced "Despised Icon", or the more popular "All Shall Perish" as my iconic death-based band. If I could find this album in a store today, I would buy it with very little forethought. I would buy this over eat for the day. // 10

More Emmure reviews rating latest review
+ Eternal Enemies 3.6 05/30/2014