In The Nightside Eclipse Review

emperor: In The Nightside Eclipse
Released: 1994
Genre: Rock
Styles: Death Metal/Black Metal, Heavy Metal, Scandinavian Metal
In fact, In the Nightside Eclipse, although not quite as complex or accessible as its follow-up, is arguably the definitive Norwegian black metal album.
 9.2
 8.5
 9.8
In The Nightside Eclipse Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 09, 2005

Sound: This is my first Emperor CD. When I first heard the first song it sounded sweet with the synth. Then the guitars kicked in. It sounds like a bunch of noise little to say. The guitar is played well. The quality of this record is discusting I'm sorry. The Synth overpowers everything. I can hardly hear the vocals over the synth and guitar mess. // 4

Lyrics: Theese lyrics are pretty good from what I have looked at. The lyrics fit very well with the music. Singer amazing (from what I can actually hear). // 10

Overall Impression: My overall impression is pretty "good." The sound quality is terrible, it sounds like a giant mess. I don't know if it's just me or the quality is actually this bad but I can tell from what I hear Emperor has skill and would be kickass to see live. // 8

In The Nightside Eclipse Reviewed by: smokeitmon, on july 05, 2005

Sound: The songs cntained on the album are simply astounding. The album opener, Into The Infinity Of Thoughts sets a high standard for the album and the standard is kept high throughout. The overall sound quality of the CD is quite good compared to alot of standard black metal CD's that entail a 'raw' production sound. The guitars are quite quiet due to the high volumes used with the synth, but that doesn't pose many problems as the guitars do not convey as much of the melody as the synth. Overall the sound of this album is awesome. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics for the songs are spread over a variety of black metal artists. The album has taken 2 or 3 tracks from the previous album where Mortiis wrote all the lyrics before leaving the band. The other lyrics are wrote by both Isahn and Samoth. The lyrics are quite generic black metal emphasising anti-christian ideals and having a distinct Lord Of The Rings feel to some tracks. The opening line of the album in the first track is the most generic black metal line ever wrote and I love it! "As the Darkness sweeps over the Northern Mountains of Norway!" Isahns trademark screaming is at its typical style of pure vocal anger and really stands out throughout the album. // 10

Overall Impression: Emperor's second release and the best Emperor album by far, if not the best black metal album by far. Each and every track stands out on this album and the entire feeling just gets better as each track progresses. The album really begins to shine after track 7 with the following 4 tracks being fucking amazing. I am the Black Wizards, Inno A Satana, Fine Day to Die cover from Bathory, the second best black metal band, and finnally Gypsy cover from Mercyful Fate. It's too amazing to be put into words! If I lost this album I would have to buy it again as I just could not live without it, and if it was stolen the theif would never walk again! THE must have album for any black metal fan, much better than Prometheus (dissapointment). // 10

In The Nightside Eclipse Reviewed by: bigREDgrin, on february 20, 2009

Sound: This album and band are widely acclaimed for being the greatest Black Metal band to date. Not to mention that this was there first Album either, but it is when you hear it a cut above most. I actually got mine from a friend who goes to Norway every other year for family and I gave him 100$ bucks to bring me back as many CD's as possible and this was the first that I listened to. It left an endearing impression on me; and for good reason, though not spotless quality like modern black metal for the most part it's powerful. The guitars which at this point were usually not that amazing (as supposed to the keyboard) shine through out the CD, the drums are basic which is one of in my opinions the low points. Also the bass is almost completely unheard which is another downer but that's the way of early black metal. // 8

Lyrics: Ihsahn was the vocalist on this record and he is probably best known for his strong voice, and this album help make him the Legend he is by this point. The lyrics were revolutionary for the time of the record but sadly are most of the time overlooked nowadays because they set the standard for everything the so most Black metal lyrics you hear anywhere else are probably inspired in some way from the CD or band. Sorry but I can't find anything wrong with this records Voice. // 10

Overall Impression: To be fair this is like the father of a lot of black metal so once heard it in comparison they were ahead of their time. I think "Beyond the Great Vast Forest" and "I am the Black Wizards" redefined Extreme Metal as a genre and are the best songs in my opinion the best songs on this CD if not all of Black Metal, but I do really like them all. It has no comparison to other black metal after that but like the way Black Sabbath or Led Zepp changed rock forever, Emperor changed Black Metal and helped set the foundation for the spray painted black house that was built there soon after. If there was anything not to like it would be that the bass was mixed out of the final presentation and the drums although good could have been better. So to conclude, Emperor chose their name aptly for they are the Emperor of black metal. // 9

More Emperor reviews rating latest review
+ IX Equilibrium 9.4 10/30/2009