Prometheus: The Discipline Of Fire And Demise Review

artist: emperor date: 10/28/2009 category: compact discs
emperor: Prometheus: The Discipline Of Fire And Demise
Released: Oct 23, 2001
Genre: Rock
The undisputed kings of black metal return with what may be their greatest release! Emperor have delivered the ultimate metal album which no others will ever surpass, only admire!
 Lyrics: 6.5
 8.3
 7.2
 9.4
Prometheus: The Discipline Of Fire And Demise Reviewed by: unregistered, on may 10, 2005

Sound: Compared to their earlier works this is really, really polished. Amongst some of my more "KVLT" aquaintances this album is tantamount to blasphemy as it is a lot more accessable than their earlier works. Myself however think if you put your preconceptions aside of what Emperor "should" sound like and take this album purely on it's merits then you'll find it a fantastic symphonic metal album indeed. The opening track "Eruption" opens with a very Baroque sounding harpsichord that crescendos into a fantastic fast tempoed riff that kicks off this album brilliantly. Emperor still retain the trademarks of their sound, the synths and breakneck tempos but add some brilliant shredding leads and on "Prophet" especially some almost Morbid Angel esque crunchy riffing. This is an album of contrasts and dynamics more than anything else, going from quite dissonant riffing and harsh vocals, to sweeping melodies and soaring clean vocals. // 10

Lyrics: Ihsahn does everything vocally on this album, going from a vicious evil bark, to full on almost operatic singing. The first time you listen you won't expect the transition which IMO makes it more powerful. The lyrics are poetic and well written, the clear production also makes them much more decipherable. // 10

Overall Impression: Emperor at this point were in a class of their own, the songs themselves are more than songs, more like compositions. The musicianship is astonishing and there is brilliant contast and dynamics, fast/slow, clean/growled, dissonant/cossonant, it really keeps you on your toes and is never monotonous. You need to listen to this album ten or more times to hear some of the more subtile and brilliant touches in each song. It's hard to pick a "best song" on the album but if I have to choose I'd say "Tongue Of Fire." I love it for the same reasons as I love "Master Of Puppets" by 'tallica. The middle section is a complete departure from the beginning and end of the song. Also check out Emperor's cover of Mercyful Fate's gypsy on the end of later copies of "In The Nightside Eclipse" absolutely brilliant, I like it more than the original! I bought this album in December 2001 and I still listen to it frequently. // 10

Prometheus: The Discipline Of Fire And Demise Reviewed by: Jøhnny, on october 28, 2009

Sound: The last album from Emperor is nothing like their early work... In a negative way. All the things that made the band great are gone. The sound is probably the best thing in the album: It's quite heavy, and clearer than in their early work. You can actually hear the guitar riffs much better, and that's why it's quite sad that the riffs suck. I'll come back to this subject later. So the sound is the best thing in the album, but it's nothing special, since it sounds like all modern Metal albums. // 7

Lyrics: The lyrics... Nothing special. They don't feature any interesting subjects, neither are they typical Black Metal lyrics. So if you want to listen to scary satanic Black Metal lyrics, forget it: it's all gone. There is no need to pay attention to the lyrics, since they have nothing new to offer to you. The singing is just ok... In Emperor's early work like In the Nightside Eclipse, the vocals were really raw, brutal and aggressive, but now, none of those are featured in the singing. That's why the album doesn't sound like Black Metal, more like Modern Extreme Metal, and the vocals on the album sound actually much like the vocals on new Dimmu Borgir albums. The best vocals are in the first song The Eruption, which features some great clean vocals, but otherwise it sounds like all the other songs. If you want to listen to aggressive/raw/brutal/Emperor stylish Black Metal vocals, this album is not for you. // 3

Overall Impression: The overall impression is just horrible, and the thing that ruins the whole album totally comes here: pinch harmonics. The damn pinch harmonics. Every single song, and almost every damn riff in the whole album is FULL of pinch harmonics. And when I say FULL, I really mean it. Seriously, at least 60% of the albums guitar parts are pinch harmonics, and it's f--king ridiculous. The guitarist uses more pinch harmonics than Zakk Wylde! You think it's not possible? Well, it is. When you listen to the whole album, you hear more pinch harmonics than you have previously heard in you whole life. Prometheus has the potential to be a good album, but every single song in the album is totally ruined with the ridiculous over use of pinch harmonics, which gets extremely annoying after first two songs, and makes the whole album unlistenable. Really, you don't want to listen to boring pinch harmonic rape for 40 minutes... When you have this, and you add there totally boring Extreme Metal vocals without any feeling on it, and extremely boring and repetitive songs with repetitive riffs raped with pinch harmonics (oh sorry, I think I mentioned that one before already, but just had to say it again) you get a horrible album which has some of the most horrible bullshit ever done in the history of Metal, and which is nothing like the music you want to hear from Emperor. It's really sad to hear an album like this from the same band who made Black Metal masterpieces like "Cosmic Keys to my Creations & Times" and "I am the Black Wizards." I'll just say this: don't buy this album, unless you're a huge, Huge, HUGE fan of Emperor, because Prometheus isn't really worth your money. I mean it, seriously. // 3

More Emperor reviews rating latest review
+ IX Equilibrium 9.4 10/30/2009