Irtiqa Review

8.7
 9.5
reviews (2) 1 comment vote for this album:
Irtiqa Reviewed by: Limaj_daas, on july 30, 2007

Sound: Entity Paradigm started as a fusion of Entity and Paradigm. Their first song was Hamein Aazman. At Pepsi's BoB, they unveiled Hamesha. Then they got second place, and then they put out Irtiqa. The album title itself means evolution, which is exactly what I experienced when I heard the album. The first "half" of the album has a very, nu-metal, alternative rock influence. However, the second "half" of the album starts off by sounding more like alternative-metal and ends up being extremely progressive. Not only should the album title be taken metaphorically, it should also be taken literally. The album starts off with an instrumental depicting the birth of a child. The rest of the album follows the child's life and by the end of the album. The guitars on this album are simply amazing. The riffs are original and the solos, though lacking in technicality, are extremely melodic. The bass I found a bit too simple. The only places where it stood out were Aghosh, Rahguzar, Fitrat and Burzukh. The only things I was disappointed were the rap parts and the sequenced drums in the first few tracks, they got a tad bit too repetitive. But overall, I was impressed with this album, it stood out well from the ton of crap we have in the Pakistani Music Industry. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics in the album are amazing. Danish J. Khan, Ahmed Butt and Fawwad have all done a truly amazing job on the album. Although most people find it annoying that they at times use "complex" vocabulary, I found it to be appealing. What's wrong with getting a dictionary and looking up a couple of words? The songs, lyrics wise, that stood out most to me were Rahguzar, Burzukh and Irtiqa III. Fawwad's voice in the album was way better than I had anticipated. He can take his voice quite deep in songs like Aghosh and quite high in songs like Rahguzar. The song where his voice truly stood out was in Irtiqa III. The way he conveyed the emotion was insanely amazing. However, I didn't quite enjoy the rap sections which showcased Ahmed Butt. The lyrics seemed, odd and there wasn't enough stacatto. But the place where Ahmed did shine was Fitrat, his vocals were truly stunning there. Overall, I was quite impressed by the bands effort here. // 9

Overall Impression: 01. Irtiqa - a nice experimental intro to the album. No guitars but that's what sets it apart. 02. Hamein Aazma - catchy, nu-metal, radio-friendly. This was how EP began. I don't enjoy it for the most part but it was a huge success. 03. Kahan Hai Tu - almost identical to the previous track concept-wise and sturcture-wise. I don't enjoy this either but again. 04. Hamesha - a really dark and gloomy love song. I sort of enjoy this but don't listen to it that often. Many, many people enjoy this track though. 05. Waqt - a really nice track. It's catchy but the thing that sets it apart is the music. It's not all that nu-metalish. It's more like alternative rock. 06. Aghosh - the best track on the first half of the album. Everything is done brilliantly. 07. Irtiqa II - this track is relevant concept wise, but it's totally crap if you just want to listen to a song. It's a minute of white noise which gradually fades in until you realize that your ears are going to bleed. 08. Rahguzar - this is one of the wickedest tracks on the album. Hot as hell in every way. 09. Fitrat - the only song on the second half that's not progressive. No problem though, it still rocks in every way. 10. Burzukh - the most "Tool-like" song on the album. It's simply amazing. The lyrics and the music blend togeather perfectly. 11. Irtiqa III - the whole album upto this point wasn't able to prepare me for this beast. It's very very progressive. Most people hate this track and haven't even heard it more than once. But ignore them, this track is totally wicked. The sickest thing ever. The lyrics, the music, the climax of the song, the delivery, it's all simple amazing. // 9

Irtiqa Reviewed by: black_sabbath, on march 06, 2006

Sound: Entity Paradigm, the seven member band is actually the fusion of two bands Entity and Paradigm. They came together, and since then have produced this magnificent album Irtiqa. With two drummers playing together, you can be sure that there are some pretty heavy tracks. This hit singles, Waqt and Hamesha set the tone for the album. With sounds and styles similar to that of Linkin Park and such alternative metal bands, Entity Paradigm (popularly known as EP) is the first true rock band to make it big in Pakistan. // 9

Lyrics: This album has some unforgettable lyrics in Hamesha, Waqt, Hum Ko Aazma and most of the album actually. The rap is decent in Waqt and Hum Ko Aazma but gets kind of annoying after sometime in the other tracks. Xulfi has written most of the lyrics and has done a good job overall. Fawad Afzal Khan, the lead singer has done a fantastic job while, Ahmed (the rapper) has done a decent job. I liked Hamesha the most. It is a love song with a slightly dark touch and sound to it. // 8

Overall Impression: Great album I have to say, one of the best I've heard from Pakistan. The best songs have to be Hamesha and Waqt. I love the drums in Hamesha, and obviously the solo. A great debut album, EP has done a sensational job and I am looking forward to their new album. Well, as far as other artists are concerned from India, the bands Sledge, Gnarl and Hammerhead I think are brilliant. EP is a much more edited sort of alt. metal band. Sledge and Gnarl and Hammerhead on the other hand are outright heavy and in my opinion better than EP. All the same, EP has done a good job in Irtiqa, and is a must buy for those who are into alt. rock. // 9

Comments