Lucy Gray Review

envy on the coast: Lucy Gray
Released: Aug 7, 2007
Genre: Pop punk, Post-hardcore
Label: Photo Finish Records
This is a good album, rarely repeats itself and entertains with the vocalists varying skills and the poetic lyrics.
 8.7
 8.4
review (1) 8 comments vote for this album:
Lucy Gray Reviewed by: Largebehind, on april 01, 2010

Sound: This album is ultimately emo but is techinically alternative rock, with essences of piano-rock and is reminciscient of Secondhand Serenade. It is the debut album from Envy On the Coast, released on August 7th 2007 and features members from As Tall As Lions and Circa Survive which can account for the similarity in sound. So in terms of similarity to other bands they can be compared to Circa Survive, Secondhand Serenade and The Spill Canva. The song 'Artist And Repetoire' has elements of Exit Ten. I personally like the contrast of alternative rock to emo, the change brings you on an emotional rollercoaster and the coaster's track is laid out by the key changes and the mood swings of a teenager. // 8

Lyrics: The lyrics on this album are poetic, imaginative and have the poiwer to conjure up the emotions of the writer in the hearts of the listener. The song "Lapse" is one of my favourites lyrically and is easily one of the best on the record. 'and no, I'm not afraid, at least not to die. I'm afraid to live and not remember why' This is a sad lyric and yet has a underlying menace to it and this epitomizes the album in the sense that we are provided with multiple messages in the lyrics but we are tricked into thinking there's one in the way it is sung. The singer is majestic and beautiful, hitting the high notes without struggle, which some of the other singers of the genre hit but only barely. These lyrics, coupled with the way they are sung have the ability to make you think and bring a lump to your throat. Shot gun loaded with excuses. // 9

Overall Impression: Overall this is a good album, rarely repeats itself and entertains with the vocalists varying skills and the poetic lyrics. Most impressive songs; 'Lapse', 'Artist And Repetoire' and 'Starving Your Friends'. I realise I'm painting a one sided picture here and I suppose that should give you more reason to check them out for yourselves... All I'm going to say is it's got me through many a day. // 10

More Envy On The Coast reviews rating latest review