Back Home Review

Released: Aug 30, 2005
Label: Reprise
Genre: Rock
Styles: Adult Contemporary, Pop/Rock
Back Home is Eric Clapton in a good mood, filled with upbeat toe-tappers about hearth and home.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 8.8
 9.2
 8.3
Back Home Reviewed by: UG Team, on october 10, 2005

Sound: The attitude of the record is obvious as you open a CD booklet: "This album is dedicated to the memory of..." The number and of people Eric Clapton calls his teachers and dedicates his record to makes you realize -? this guy rocked the world when you maybe weren't even born and he has so much more experience behind (including 40 solo albums and 16 Grammies), than most of the artists you recently listened to. "Back Home" is Eric Clapton's first original material in five years since "Reptile" in 2001. On "Back Home" you can hear, among others, such excellent musicians as Steve Gadd (drums), Nathan East (bass), Billy Preston (keyboards). The list of all people, playing and singing on the album, is impressive and takes a whole page in CD booklet. Even though the album is very solid and seems like all songs are just another modern classic and arranged in the same way, but if you listen carefully, you'll find blues-rock, R&B, reggae, pop. As well as his solo compositions, the record includes some covers (George Harrison's "Love Comes to Everyone," The Spinners' "Love Don't Love Nobody," "I'm Going Left" from Stevie Wonder and Syreeta Wright) and songs, written with partner Simon Climie. Clapton plays guitar effortlessly and relaxed, great riffs sound easy in his performance. I'm actually quite happy it's not another "vanity fair" from a guy, who can play guitar better, than anybody else, like most Santana's records. Here you hear songs and most of the time Clapton's guitar is imperceptible, being a part of the variety of sounds in the song and supplementing it. It's obvious Clapton is more interested in creating comprehensive sound, than showing his guitar gymnastics. There is no really impressive guitar, drums, keyboard or vocal work, but that's what makes the record easy to listen to and enjoyable. Everything is simple and smooth. All songs are toe-tapping and have catchy melody lines, after a few listens, you find yourself singing along. "So Tired" is a song about recently discovered by Clapton parental life. He reveals that you can actually get tired of your kid and, to strengthen the message, the song includes a baby cry. Adult ballad "Love Don't Love Nobody" has one of the most impressive bluesy guitar solo. What freaked my out was the "Lost And Found" has no end -? it just breaks in the middle of guitar solo. // 9

Lyrics: The album is filled with the mood of a man, being happy with his life. He finds joy in little every-day things, "sweet simple moments" of family life "Sometimes I think that I'm too old for this/I must have better things to do/But when it's time for my good-night kiss/My dreams have all come true." Like he was taught to love music, listening to Syreeta Wright, Phillipe Wynn, Rick Danko, Ray Charles and Richard Manuel (as he says in his thank-you message), he's now teaching us to appreciate life. Clapton's vocals are soulful and calm and at the same time with the feel of energy that he has found being "Back Home." Gospel choir back vocals create a juicy solid support. // 8

Overall Impression: "Back Home" is tastefully recorded and has a polished to perfection sound. The album is more mature and laid-back, than any of his previous ones. You might find it not interesting as it doesn't contain any suffering or anger, but hey, songs shouldn't always be about pain. Clapton is very comfortable in his age and he makes music that people like being 60. If you can take music as it is, without your own expectations of excitement in every song, you're gonna enjoy "Back Home." It's a perfect album to listen to sitting in front of a fire place with a cup of hot chocolate. That's not a must-have record and it probably won't become your favorite one. With "Back Home", this guitar giant didn't make a revolution in music industry, he just made an album more perfect, than many records of this kind, giving us the opportunity to enjoy to his undeniably talented work once again. // 8

Back Home Reviewed by: unregistered, on september 06, 2005

Sound: Let me start by saying that as a guitar player, Eric Clapton is a huge influence (actually got me started on guitar, used to play drums). This album is refreshing in that it is very Clapton-esque in sound and "color." From reggae to rock, ballad to blues, he covers a good musical range, and that in itself is worth mentioning. Although better known for his blues and rock music, this is definitely an album worth listening. Since Revolution came out a few weeks back on the radio, it got me expecting this album almost as much as From The Cradle. // 10

Lyrics: Great lyrics throughout the album, it gives an idea of what Eric is going through at this moment in his life, and he seems to be having a blast. As usual, although he himself thinks of his vocal abilities as: "When I hear myself at times, I sound like a 14 year old choir boy!" Let me say, he still has a great voice for Rock, blues, ballads or just about any other style he'd like to sing. // 10

Overall Impression: This album, aside from the 2 reggae songs, is reminiscent of the Pilgrim/Reptile period, and does expand a different sound for Eric, other than his blues/rock. It's hard to pick out one particular song from the album, but Run Back To Me has someting for everyone: vocally a notch above the other tracks, great lyrics, haunting guitar filling in (with a nice solo), superb melody. All in all I give this album 5 out of 5. If the album were lost/stolen, I'd definitely buy it again! Well worth the investment, and if you're new to Clapton, it will give you a good starting point! // 10

Back Home Reviewed by: CkY freak, on september 05, 2005

Sound: Well, first of all I must say, I am a huge Eric Clapton fan. Even though I have only been a fan for a few years, I love his music to death. Well the sound of this record is different. It's different than what most Eric fans are used to hearing. The record is very well mixed, but then theres the guitar parts. As many of you may know, Eric Clapton has written some of the most memorable guitar riffs like "Layla," "Sunshine Of Your Love," "Crossroads," "Cocaine" and "Wonderful Tonight." Well don't buy this record if you are looking for a song to add to that list. I was kind of dissapointed that there were no big rock riffs or anything. There's not even really any good solos on the record. None the less, I still like it and the music is much more melodic on my opinion, and that's what keeps me listening to it. There are some new sounds though. Some of the songs have some "horns" in them (trumpets, stuff like that). A couple of styles are used on this record. There's rock and roll, which makes up most of the record, and theres blues, which in my opinion is the best part of the record. The song Lost And Found is amazing, its a blues track, with lots of layering, it's not like the Sessions For Robert J. stuff, it's powerful and full of emotion. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are really good. Eric has a great voice in my opinion. This record is no let down when it comes to his voice. There's not much range of vocals on this record, its pretty much the same all the way through. Not really much else to say here. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD doesn't really compare to the stuff Eric has done in the past. I think he could have done a little better in terms of the guitar work. I was kind of dissapointed that there were no great memorable rock riffs or anything in this record, or solos for that matter. I really love the song Lost And Found, its my favorite off of the cd. The single that he released "One Track Mind," is alright, but not as good as Lost and Found in my opinion. If it were stolen or lost, I would buy it again, just because the pros out-number the cons. If you have a few extra bucks lying around, then I'd suggest getting it, but if your in a financial problem, don't worry, your not missing a whole lot. I'd give this a 3.5, but since I can't do that, ill just give it a 4. // 8

More Eric Clapton reviews rating latest review