From The Cradle Review

eric clapton: From The Cradle
Release Date: Sep 13, 1994
Label: Reprise
Genres: British Blues, Blues-Rock, Hard Rock
Even with its faults, From the Cradle is one of Clapton's finest moments.
 9.4
 9.3
 9.5
review (1) 4 comments vote for this album:
From The Cradle Reviewed by: Roy McCartney, on july 22, 2008

Sound: Trough the years, Eric Clapton has been one of the strongest influences on blues, since early years with Cream or Yardbird and solo. After his Unplugged, Clapton returns to a basic blues style, more austere arrangements and a strong musical spirit. It's a live album, with great musicians contributions, such like Jim Keltner, Simon Clarke, Jerry Portnoy and Chris Stainton. When we listen to the album, we inmediatly imagine the group playing in a room, doing their best, knowing exactly what they have to do. Awesome. // 9

Lyrics: From the Cradle is a blues cover album, with classical and popoular pieces. Slowhand's style turns each song into the feeling the lyrics print. Also, Clapton's smooth voice gets strong and agressive through the tracks, as he does on the first track "Blues Before Sunrise", contrasting with "Third Degree", the second one, going from a bluesy fast song to a relaxed and a little bit acid melody. In general, the lyrics are well accompanied by great melodies according to the story or the situation they're talking about. // 9

Overall Impression: Although there are many blues albums with the simmilar style, From the Cradle is a great first attempt at a cover album with his particular way of playing, and a "river of feelings", if this somehow defines what this CD makes you feel. I prefer the austere blues, so I don't like the sax, brass or another instrument. The do great songs with just guitar, drums and bass, maybe piano. It's a great album to play during a reunion with friends, perfect to have a good time, so I really have to have this one in my collection, no matter how many times I must buy it (I hope not so many). If you are looking for blues, awesome arrangements and the great Clapton's voice, all in onoe album, try this one. // 10

More Eric Clapton reviews rating latest review