Me and Mr. Johnson Review

artist: eric clapton date: 06/20/2007 category: compact discs
eric clapton: Me and Mr. Johnson
Released: Mar 23, 2004
Genre: Rock
Styles: Album Rock, Modern Electric Blues, Contemporary Blues, British Blues, Blues-Rock
Me and Mr. Johnson is an album-length tribute to Clapton's hero, the legendary bluesman Robert Johnson.
 Lyrics: 9.3
 9.4
 9.8
Me and Mr. Johnson Reviewed by: Sean Mertiens, on december 13, 2004

Sound: Clapton's reincarnation of 14 old Robert Johnson songs convince absolutely when it comes to sound. With several guitar and piano layers it serves all those people used to high-class studio productions without loosing this old, groovy blues-feeling. The rhythms, sometimes slow like in "Come On In My Kitchen" or fevery-fast as in "They're Red Hot", will sure make everyone nod their heads and stomp their feet and maybe dance a bit. // 10

Lyrics: Johnson's lyrics are short and consist of some lines that are repeated throughout the song, interrupted by little instumental solos. One might find this uncreative or boring but the words are easy to sing along and sometimes quite entertaining (as in "Me And The Devil Blues"). However, Clapton performs the lyrics just with the right passion and blues-feeling. // 8

Overall Impression: It's a great classic blues album with a high-class sound. A wonderful cd to listen to, when you need to get moving or just want to enjoy some nice blues. The cd contains 14 songs, which promises about one hour of good music. The album comes in a paper-case with some nice artwork (including a portrait of Clapton by Peter Blake). The booklet is a bit dissapointing though, it contains the tracklist and some band-credits only. I think they should've at least provided the lyrics. However, a great cd definitely worth buying! // 10

Me and Mr. Johnson Reviewed by: unregistered, on february 25, 2005

Sound: Eric Clapton is my favourite guitarist and when I bought this album he didn't fail to impress me once more. He has used mainly classical/soft rock kinda style bu anyway what ever it is I like it! This probably isn't his best album so here I go out to by more! // 10

Lyrics: I'm not really interested in the lyrics in music as the guitar is more important to me but my thoughts on the lyrics in this album where pretty good. It is maing how well he fits the lyrics in so as they fit smoothly with the music. Eric Clapton is extremly talented because not only ishe an amazing guitarist he can song like hell! // 10

Overall Impression: This album can't be compared because it is truly amazing. The most impressive songs are Tears In Heaven and Signe the little funky guitar bit at the begining! If anyone ever stole this album off of me a would have to buy a new one beacuse I'd hunt them down and maul them for it! // 10

Me and Mr. Johnson Reviewed by: JustinYap, on june 20, 2007

Sound: This is Eric Clapton's tribute album to the late great Robert Johnson. This is a really great Blues record, and also shows Clapton's talent at reworking songs (that was displayed with his Unplugged performance). There are 17 tracks on the record, all written and previously recorded by Robert Johnson, the legendary Delta Bluesman. Clapton plays with electric guitars for all tracks except for Me and the Devil Blues and Come On In My Kitchen. This whole album is great for someone looking for that traditional Blues sound. // 10

Lyrics: All lyrics were written by Robert Johnson, and Eric Clapton's interpretation of them is wonderful and he has mostly stuck very closely with Robert Johnson's vocal melodies. A lot of people I've met have said that Clapton should bring someone else in to sing on his records, but to me, a Clapton song wouldn't be a Clapton song without his voice, and his voice has also brought a lot of great qualities into this album. My favourite lyrics would have to be Love in Vain, Kind Hearted Woman Blues and When You Got a Good Friend. // 10

Overall Impression: This to me, would be Clapton's ultimate blues album and he has yet again, brought a lot more exposure to the genre (As he has done throughout almost all his career). He is one of my heroes, and has also shown Johnson's records in a different light with what he brings to the table. If it were stolen or lost, I would definitely buy it again because my CD collection would have a very big hole without it. // 10

More Eric Clapton reviews rating latest review