Pilgrim Review

eric clapton: Pilgrim
Release Date: Mar 10, 1998
Label: Reprise
Genres: Adult Contemporary, Pop/Rock
Pilgrim, Clapton's first studio album of new songs since Journeyman, reflects all these facets in his most ambitious, and certainly darkest solo project.
 8.7
 9.3
 8.1
review (1) 9 comments vote for this album:
Pilgrim Reviewed by: andybene, on june 11, 2007

Sound: This is typical Clapton style music. Contemporary blues w/a modern touch it sounds of computerized pro tools. This is an excellent album. Very moody sad blues. Like always Clapton mixes blues and rock. This album is almost like R&B style. He should make more albums like this one. This album is more of a reflection of Clapton's life and what's inside of him. The way he plays his guitar is amazing. R&B style solo guitar. You could through anything at Eric and he'll give it right back. He's played so many different styles in his life it's outstanding. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are superb. Well written and in beat with his guitar playing. Very well thought out. The lyrics fit the mood of the album perfect. Eric even tries to add that R&B touch. Like all of Eric's albums he's a better guitarist than singer, but I typically like his singing. He's from the '60s Rock generation so that's his style. // 10

Overall Impression: This album may not compare to his earliest albums but hey Eric gets better with age, to me. He's a more well developed guitarist always seeking new ground. I'd have to say that he's my favorite, and I look up to his accomplishments as an all round near virtuoso guitar player. I'd have to say that Pilgrim, My Father's Eyes and Circus are the best songs on the album. I typically like the overdriven blues song on it Sick and Tired. I like the whole album though outstanding. I would totally have backups of these songs if anything ever happened to it. // 8

More Eric Clapton reviews rating latest review