The Cream Of Clapton Review

artist: eric clapton date: 12/12/2006 category: compact discs
eric clapton: The Cream Of Clapton
Released: Mar 7, 1995
Genre: Rock
Styles: Album Rock, Blues-Rock, Pop/Rock, Adult Contemporary, Hard Rock, Soft Rock, British Blues
The Cream Of Clapton stands as the single-disc best-of to own for Clapton's greatest recordings.
 9.5
 9.1
 9.9
The Cream Of Clapton Reviewed by: TravisWongPG, on january 25, 2006

Sound: The Cream Of Clapton is the perfect CD for any Eric Clapton fans, or any blues fans. The CD hits your hard with some amazing hits from all sessions of his love including "Layla," "Sunshine Of Your Love," "Crossroads," "Cocaine," "Wonderful Tonight" and so much more. The sound is amazing. Clapton, one of the greatest guitar players of all time, delivers on nearly every song, bringing us amazing riffs and unforgetable solos. Clapton is not about speed, he chooses soul over shred. // 10

Lyrics: The lyrics are awesome on this CD. Not all of it was written by him (I Shot The Sheriff, Knockin' On Heavens Door) but when he sings it he still makes it his own. His voice is unique and distinguishable, and it fits smoothly over whatever he is playing. // 10

Overall Impression: This CD is one of the best. This is CD is definitly one of my car stereos favorites (second only to SRV Essentials) and it deserves every minute of play. You will not regret buying this CD, I promise you. Lost or stolen? I would work a 4 hour shift at minimum wage at a greasy McDonalds for it (not that I do). // 10

The Cream Of Clapton Reviewed by: unregistered, on april 04, 2005

Sound: I honestly think that Eric Clapton is one of the most under-rated guitarists of all time, and also one of the best Clapton has done it all, from the lively tune of "Layla," to the slow song of "Cocaine." All in all, this is a must-have CD of his, becuase it has work from when he was in Derek And The Dominos, Cream, Blind Faith, and then solo Clapton's style isn't about speed, it's about the layering, the soul. Excellent. // 10

Lyrics: Clapton's lyrics are awesome. Every song tells a story, about tragedy, about drugs, drinking, love, everything. // 10

Overall Impression: If this were lost or stolen, I would buy it again. My favorite song on this album is "Sunshine Of Your Love" from the Cream days, mainly because it was one of the first songs I learned to play on guitar. There is one song that I really can't stand, and that is "Presense Of The Lord" I find it too slow and boring compared to the other songs. // 10

The Cream Of Clapton Reviewed by: Shredknight16, on june 15, 2005

Sound: Eric Clapton has one of the greatest and most distinct tone. He really revolutionized the use of effects, as one can hear in the song "White Room." Whether it's a slow song like "Wonderful Tonight," or a fast-paced song like "Crossroads" (one of the greatests solos of all time), listeners are immediately hooked. Besides those two songs, every other song is great. He's truly gifted; no one else can play like him. // 10

Lyrics: His lyrics basically tell the story of his life. "Layla," possibly the greatest love song if not the greatest song of all time, was written because of his love at the time. Even the songs he covered were related to him in one way or another, like "Cocaine." It was originally written by JJ Cale, but Clapton did have a drug problem at one time. His lyrics are just amazing. // 10

Overall Impression: This is one of most favorite albums of all time. I love this album because it compiles most of Clapton's greatest songs, plus, each song has amazing guitar playing, and there's nothing I like more than the sound of a loud guitar solo, especially by Clapton. My favorite songs are "Crossroads," "Layla," and "Cocaine," because each have an amazing solo in it, and great lyrics. Anyone who loves classic rock and fantastic guitar playing should definitely get this album. // 10

The Cream Of Clapton Reviewed by: Crash91, on july 22, 2006

Sound: Eric Clapton is one of the greatest guitarists of all time, and you were thinking about buying it, why not? This album contains wicked guitar riffs and amazing solos which can be heard on tracks such as 'Wonderful Tonight'. Not only this album contain Eric Clapton songs, it also contains six songs from the band he used to be in called Cream, which contains superb tracks such as 'Sunshine Of Your Love' and 'Crossroads'. And the opening song to this album is another group called Derek & The Dominoes. The song is 'Layla' and is undoubtedly the best song on this album. If you are an acoustic person, you should enjoy the quality of 'Let It Grow' which is a beautiful song. However, it does not include Clapton's later songs, but at least it contains his main songs. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics are not bad, but who actually takes notice of the lyrics, especially when Eric Clapton is playing? // 7

Overall Impression: There is another album named 'The Cream Of Clapton' which is very similar to this on, only it includes two more tracks, and it is actually a better idea to buy the other album if you're a huge Clapton fan. But it doesn't make this album look bad at all. In fact, I give this a 10, because the songs are enjoyable to listen to and it contains superb solos from the man himself. The most impressive songs are 'Layla', 'Sunshine Of Your Love', 'Wonderful Tonight' and 'Let It Grow'. What I love about this album is that I never used to be into Eric Clapton until I listened to all of this album. What is there to hate about it? If this album got stolen/lost, I would probably buy a later version of a greatest hits album of Clapton. Finally, if you have never heard of Eric Clapton, you haven't lived. // 10

The Cream Of Clapton Reviewed by: Godbe, on december 12, 2006

Sound: In my opinion this a very bittersweet album in terms of sound. It starts off extremely well with the classic "Layla", and I no particular order, moves through other signature songs such as "White Room" and "Cocaine". However, this record shows music spanning Clapton's career and I was particularly dissapointed with some of the later tracks such as "Lay Down Sally" and "Swing Low Sweet Chariot", which seem to have been drawn from his career in the '80s and late '70s. I'd say I was initially impressed with over half the tracks, but there's only so much you can take of "I shot the Sheriff". Though it is a personal opinion, I prefer the Cream era of his music. But in terms of the overall track list, the record starts off very well, but then dies closer to the end (not some of my favourite Clapton tracks). // 7

Lyrics: Well the lyrics on the Cream songs are simply exceptional, particularly "Strange Brew" which caught me because the words flow so perfectly. The lyrical content of this album is of ranging styles, from the subtle lyrics of "White Room" to the story telling of "Crossroads" (despite the latter being a Robert Johnson song). Obviuosly not all the lyrics were written by Clapton, for example he didn't write much in Cream, but the lyrics are still impressive. // 8

Overall Impression: It's a greatest hits album so it would be hard to compare to other albums as it offers some of the best sounds from the '60s and '70s. All of the Cream songs on the album I find are fantastic as well as some Clapton solo songs such as "Cocaine" and the powerful "Wonderful Tonight". If I were to misplace this album, I couldn't really commit myself to buyin a new copy; it just doesn't cut it for me, I'd much rather spend my money on a Cream album, or some of Clapton's less reggae and soul influenced songs. Overall, I think the inclusion of some of these songs lets the album down drammatically because we see less of Clapton's signature licks, and more Dobros. // 6

More Eric Clapton reviews rating latest review