Lost In Violence Review

essence: Lost In Violence
Released: Feb 25, 2011
Genre: Thrash Metal
Label: Ultimhate Records
Essence mix elements of 80's and modern Thrash Metal, and overall they have an amazing sound and quite unique. This is an insane Thrash Metal album, and that's all that matters!
 9.1
 9.3
 8.9
review (1) 6 comments vote for this album:
Lost In Violence Reviewed by: Rattlehead11, on august 19, 2011

Sound: When I was told about Essence, someone said to me they were the "80's Thrash Metal in the 2000's", and yeah! They are! They mix elements of 80's and modern Thrash Metal, and overall they have an amazing sound and quite unique. This is an insane Thrash Metal album, and that's all that matters! Every member of Essence is amazingly talented, and their skills are well showed on "Lost In Violence". Lasse Skov is a great song writer (Also, this doesn't have to do with the album but they are really cool people!) // 9

Lyrics: I've always been a "shout along" fan, so I really like to know all the lyrics to a song, but with Essence is quite difficult to do that because sometimes he just sings to damn fast, in such songs as "Pestilence" and the bridge from "Blood Culture". Don't get me wrong, the lyrics flow perfectly with the music, it's just that sometimes you can't understand what the Lasse Skov is singing. But if you actually read the lyrics from the book, they are pretty awesome. My favourite lyrics come from "Shades Of Black", "Blood Culture", "Unlimited Chaos" and the title track "Lost In Violence": "You've got your orders and you do what you must Just continue forward and in freedom you must trust". Lasse has this strange screaming/raspy voice, I find it really awesome, and I don't know how he sings like he does, that fast while playing those breath-taking guitar riffs at the same time. Really talented guy. Overall, the lyrics are pretty awesome and the singing is furious, fast, and most importantly - unique. // 9

Overall Impression: 01. "Allegiance" - The intro to the album, it uses the main riff of the next song and it's the opener of the gates of Thrash to this album. 02. "Unlimited Chaos" - Really catchy riff and catchy chorus, due to the great lyrics it has. This is one of my favourites from the album, it has kind of a strange, nice balance to it, it's the "Essence" sound. Great opener! 03. "Pestilence" - Probably the fastest song on the album, "Pestilence" starts with furious riffs and has really cool fast singing, onto an awesome, catchy chorus. This is real Thrash Metal! 04. "Blood Culture" - Damn, where do I begin explaining this song... Thrash Metal at it's best right there! The first time I heard this song my head was about to explode because of it's awesomeness (it still almost does). Every single person in the world who hears that bass intro loves it. It really is amazing, the bass player takes the spotlight on this one. But even if the song had no bass intro it would still be a masterpiece. Right after the intro, it's Thrash Metal all over again, with some of the best riffs on the album, and a really great catchy chorus, and outstanding solos. Right after and before the guitar solos, the bass player comes up with solos of his own, which makes it perfect. The lyrics are awesome and flow perfectly with the music. Every Metal fan should hear this, it has no downsides (perfect Metal song, I would say). Outstanding well written song, with every member of the band at his best here. 05. "Night's Destruction" - Nothing much to say about this song, in my opinion it's the worst song of the album. Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad song, just a less-good one, especially compared to all the other ones. 06. "Oblivion" - Great interlude to the album made by guitarrist Mark Drastrup, this nice intrumental sets the tone for the next great song, "Shades Of Black". 07. "Shades Of Black" - This song is like a drug to me, I have to listen to it every day to be satistfied. It has plenty of solos and you discover a new thing every time you listen to them. The lyrics are the best ones of the album in my opinion and really flow with the riffs. Speaking of riffs, this has a crushing Thrash Metal one that appears sometimes in between lines. This is certainly not a ballad but it does have that "ballady feel" to it. I don't usually rate music but this deserves 5 stars. 08. "Trace Of Terror" - "Trace of terror - it is time, Trace of terror - left behind. Leave this world - on your own, Leave this world - never alone." Those lines really are catchy, I found them stuck in my head for a couple of days, it's a great way to start a song. Also the chorus is really cool. There's nothing much to say about this song, but it's really really cool! 09. "Lost In Violence" - Just like "Pestilence", this is Thrash Metal right there in your face: fast singing, fast drumming and fast guitar riffs. The chorus is short but awesome, the solos are crazy and furious. Somewhere around 3 minutes and a half of the song, it stops, and moves onto this spetacular interlude (one of the higher spots of the album), with slow drumming, guitar chords and a BEASTLY bass solo. This interlude is just Godly. It goes for around a minute and a half, 2 minutes, just to start the killing madness again! Amazing. Oh, and the lyrics really rock. I just wish this was the last song on the album, just to finish off with this great climaxing song. 10. "Agressive Attack" - This is a really good song with some fast action, a cool intro and a cool chorus, but in my honest opinion it should be right before "Lost In Violence". But hey, that's just a minor thing, and they must have a reason for putting "Agressive Attack" at last. Overall, this is a near perfect album, with great unique singing, furious guitar riffs, excellent drumming, fast (and great) guitar solos, excellent lyrics that flow perfectly with the music, catchy choruses and oustanding bass lines. Don't download it, buy it! Support smaller bands by buying their merchandise and going to their concerts! ESSENCE. // 10

Comments