Palace Of Mirrors Review

9.2
 9.3
review (1) 3 comments vote for this album:
Palace Of Mirrors Reviewed by: DownInAHole., on april 29, 2009

Sound: There are very, very, very few bands like Estradasphere. As a matter of fact, I guarantee that you've never even heard of them, unless you're really into music. That being said, I was shocked at first listen by what this record had to offer. Wow. I have never heard more disciplined musicians in my entire life. Their knowledge of theory and composition is quite mindblowing. The album starts off pretty slow, almost graceful, then segues into progressive heaven, then pauses up again, and blasts the listener in the finish. Kind of like an Alfred Hitchcock film. If you go into a music shop, and just look around, I bet everything I have that each instrument you see was used on this album. I mean violins, trumpets, guitars, banjos, keyboards, upright basses, electric basses, accordions, clavinets, and bongos. They have such diverse styles it's uncanny. The drumming is very jazz influenced, while most of the song's melody is remniscient of jazzy, bluegrass, and even metal. They do not leave one style out on this album. They remind me of a classier Mr. Bungle is you want me to draw a comparison. Overall, the album rocks hard. Worth a listen. // 9

Lyrics: It's an all-instrumental album, so there really is no need for review on the lyrics, because, there aren't any. I will say though that they had some strange song titles. Like: The Terrible Beautypower of Meow and The Unfolding Pause of the Threshold. It would be way to hard to even have lyrics for music like this anyway, because the music itself is unconventional and changes pace constantly. // 10

Overall Impression: As stated before, probably the smartest and most unique team of musicians ever to hit the studio. It's a shame that most people never have heard of them, but they're not the most commerical ear friendly band either. If you like commercial, poppy garbage, then please don't look into this album. If you're a fan of technical music, with substance, and like an array of musical stylings, this album may have the same effect on you that it had on me. From an artsy standpoint, one of the greatest albums ever created. // 9

Comments