Woven Material Review

8.7
 7.6
review (1) user comments vote for this album:
Woven Material Reviewed by: AC0RN, on august 18, 2011

Sound: Evaline is a six piece alternative rock band from California. I originally came across them when their first single from their debut album, "Beneath The Fire", was available for free on iTunes. After hearing their extremely diverse sound I had to get the rest of the album. I must say, I am impressed. While classified as alternative for lack of a better description, Evaline have encorporated punk, progressive, and classical elements into their sound. They are the definition of eclectic and show various emotions in their songs. Evaline sounds like Radiohead if they created a wall of sound and began embracing punk. An interesting amalgamation to say the least. The first song, the previously mentioned "Beneath The Fire" feels mysterious and ambient. "Feeding On The Congregation" is about society and its evils. "Hours" is a very good song about how quickly time rolls by. "Overwhelming Shapes" takes you on a dark journey into the mind of a man who has seemingly lost hope. "All In My Mind" is another stand out track about getting over grief. Probably their heaviest song, "So Literal", is a bonus track which is pure aggression. A few songs do leave something to be desired, such as the ballad "Who Are You" which seems out of place. // 9

Lyrics: The lyrics definetely raise eyebrows. The best lyrics in my opinion come from "Feeding On The Congregation". Many of the lyrics are very personal, such as from "Hours" and the ballad "Who Are You". Most of the lyrics explore dark subjects from inner turmoil to wordly problems as well as various emotions such as regret and remorse to a sense of despair. The delivery is very good. I would describe it as a combination of Alex Turner from Arctic Monkeys and Thom Yorke from Radiohead. The singer manages to express many emotions throughout the album and delves deep into his psyche for inspiration. For the most part, the singing goes along very well with the lyrics. // 8

Overall Impression: Evaline may have created an entirely new genre with "Woven Material". It gives off an epic feeling and a wall of sound without being hit over the head with a hammer of guitars. Or at least it does not sound like it. The guitars are dark and dirty but the production is clear and tight. Listening to the album is like hearing a bunch of contradictions collide seemlessly. I would recommend this album to anyone who wants to hear something powerful and different. // 9

More Evaline reviews rating latest review
+ Postpartum Modesty A Portrait Of Skin [EP] 8.9 08/21/2006